Pax Romana

I wouldn't worry about going to all the trouble to see if my file could be converted and be a bit smaller. Seems like a waste of time to me.

Today is Jan 7th, 2011 and I find myself once again back here at my unfinished work.

The work that helped me work through some issues and problems during my bitter divorce and custody hearings. The work that reminded me that things I had given up on in my younger day were not a waste of time nor holding value - even if just to myself. The work that I was happy to read and write and partake of on nights when the house was quiet and I was alone after putting my daughter to bed. The work that I STILL keep as a pile of folded/yellowing sheets of paper rubberbanded together in my briefcase because as most of my friends/family will tell you - I'm a stubborn son of a she-wolf who refuses to quit or let go even up to the limit of folley.

I have recently remarried and my new wife is diametrically opposed to my old one in looks, temperment, and interests. She is my rock and friend and the woman I will grow old with and hopefully have more children with.

And last night I got her to play Civ. :) And what happened? She wanted one more turn. I have to finish that road. Wait, I need to road to the horses. Are you going to go to war with Russia? That...Damn it - the barbarian killed my warrior! Why didn't you tell me that could happen?

And she knows about my story and I've given her the website and shown her some of what I have printed out. She is aware of my Saturday evening games of D&D and puts up with it good naturedly - even if it's not her cup of tea.

Rome lives. It lives still in me and here and on my computer as that one game that I have not written over from the saved game file.

My evenings are not as filled as they once were and my daughter is 8 now and is into things with her old man that tell me she will like things like this. Stories of places that almost were and could be and exist if you squint your eyes just a little bit...and wonder.

I have to reread a number of my recent posts and relook at my notes to recapture the flow of the story...but I honestly think that Pax Romana could be a reality if I give it the time and attention due and finish it.

Grab your gladius, mount onto your steed, and follow the banner of the golden eagle as we rally the legions and march once more and with finality into the Olympian epic of civilizations that might and could have been.

Vie Victus.

Vanadorn

:faint:

WOW I now have such motivation to finally finish this story, only on page 40.

Also congratulations on your personal life, its very nice that you are willing to share it online.

Me to, I have never read through the whole thing, always got distracted and never got back to it, then I forget it and have to start over. :rolleyes:

Excellent news V, glad to hear that I don't check this every day in vain.

Read through 6 pages today - damn - I'm fricking good. :)

Yeah - this'll be fine.

Thanks to everyone for your interest and support! :)

V

Read through 6 pages today - damn - I'm fricking good. :)

Yeah - this'll be fine.

Thanks to everyone for your interest and support! :)

V

So glad you're back, and that RL has found you blessed with happiness.
:clap::cooool::woohoo::hatsoff::woohoo:

Wow! Happy New Year, indeed! Great to hear you're doing well.

It's funny, isn't it? Considering how long it's been since Vanadorn has furthered this story, "Pax Romana" never fell off the first page of the "Civ3 - Stories & Tales" section. We've kept the inkwell full for you.

Actually, it might have fallen off once, but was quickly bumped up again (but not by me :mischief:)

Thanks to everyone - started reading back at page 64 (just before the Neronian Revolution with the Beatles song/Socrates) and today I ended at page 92 - getting myself reacquainted with everything I had done, story threads, recurring characters, flow of the empire, and reconciling it with my own notes. Champing at the bit here to get back and finish this.

V

It has been lost in the second page several times, once for a whole month! :eek:

Sacrilege! Good story, though. I enjoyed it and can't wait for more!

Ok. I have finished reading everything and see some story arcs that I want to continue and wrap up. Plus the entire Nero/Cinncinnatus resolution is very close on my list of things. I went back to the save game and see what happened next and looked over my outline.

Very satisfied and feeling pretty good on what is to follow.

I don't want to commit on a writing schedule but rest assured I will add what I can and do so as consistantly as possible. Please, any help in finding my typos is always appreciated and either PM or here on the thread is fine.

To all old friends and fans as well as new ones, thanks. For everything.

V

Welcome back V

Good gravy, this thread brings back memories...

I remember the days when I was still in middle school, waiting until classes ended so that I could get back home, check the forums for updates to this story, then loading up my own copy of Civ so that I could someday write one of my own stories. Truth be told, I still like to imagine I could write one if I really put my mind to it.

It's been years since I last read it, though, so I have quite a bit of catching up to do...

Glad to see it's still going. Hope I get to see the end of this epic.

As always, keep up the good work, V!

I reread my tale twice now and have been putting together notes. Also brushed off my writing talents a bit. I've still kept up on it, but blogging or technical writing isn't the same are creative - there's a different flow so it's been repractice time for me.

Year end financials are being wrapped up this week and then I have some meetings EOW and early next - and then it's pen to paper. :)

Damn am I excited to continue/finish this.

Thanks again to all!

V

Top Bottom