PBEM Challenge- Natives vs Steamers

myturn

Chieftain
Decision to enforce Steam on buyers of Civ V made whole lotta noise this days.

I say we beat the crap out of each other while we wait.
How about that?

I guess a lot of you will easily choose side.
There must be number of you who will still buy game but are not quite happy with the way they serving it to you.
And I’m sure there are lot of you “Steamers” (npi) who are equally tired of repeating your reasons and arguments
and reading all the nonsense (in your opinion) that pours these days.

PLEASE don’t jump on that train here, again.

I guess that there are enough of you here who are actually playing this game.

Personally, I’d love to see some of the “old Civ fans” who decided to join this forum yesterday “just to make things
clearer to us” about how good is that third party app for us while bowing to the “gods of FPS”… (actual quote) :D
Clearly they made some wrong turn in their lives and ended up here, bringing us this enlightenment.

Or maybe not?

What if I’m wrong?

This is the call for all of you who got tired of talking to the brick wall.
Time to pull some siege weapons. And bring it down. Time for war.

LET’S MAKE WAR IN CIV IV!
(while we wait that s#it to hit the fan anyway)

Needed player experienced in setting up PBEM. I’m not. I’m big mouth.

Gloves are off.
Let me know how you feel about this.

p.s. Avatar analogy came at the end of making poster when I had to come up with names.
Makes perfect sense, yaay... :scared:

NATIVES -------------------------------------STEAMERS

myturn GMT+1 --------------------------Eireksten GMT ?
Drakarska GMT ?

(i'm not quite familiar with formatting here but this will do for now)

I can help you set it up. In fact I'd be more than happy to administer the game.

I'm not sure if I'd have time to actually play in the game though. Assuming it's a teamer, was your idea to have two teams of two or three civs each? What were the sorts of settings you had in mind?

If you actually want to have this thread exposed to PBEM players (a minority of gamers) you'll probably need to cross post in the Civ4 PBEM forum.

Well, you administering the game? Thank you very much, I’ve couldn’t ask for more. :cheer:

As I have said, I’m not experienced in setting it up, so if you are willing to do that you should do it in whatever way you see it fit.

I’ve had in mind large clash but that probably would be bad idea and over before end due to long time waiting between the turns, so 3vs3 I guess. Not that I mind waiting several days for turn, It’s not something time consuming and I’m not sitting in my mailbox sweating and waiting for that next move.
That would be BTS 3.19, and as I see it, as long it doesn’t represent too much trouble for you, it could even be several duels simultaneously. Providing there was enough feedback, of course. (if at all)

I’ve posted thread here because of actual discussion but yea, I see now that this could have been posted there and then just linked in reply here.

So how do I move this one to right place?

And again, big thanks for prompt support.

It is possible to ask a moderator to move the thread to a different forum, but I wouldn't suggest that anyway. You will probably need a thread in both forums if you are to find enough PBEM players.

I'm not sure if you'll even find many people wanting to play. The thread is clever I admit but getting into a PBEM game is quite a serious commitment. The Steam vs. Natives debate is not likely to last anywhere near as long as these games will.

I still think it could be fun. Just that you'll need to find some players for it to work. I think the idea of concurrent duels is the best, by the way.

I don't have any suggestions for game settings. It sounds more like you have the imagination for doing that. The only thing I can think of is make sure you use Quick speed.

Oh, what a surprise!
Ehm, wait...
it isn't really... :joke:

Welcome!

Does this mean you're in? :)

Haha.

I'm no fan of multiplayer Civ tbh. I just don't have the patience for it - I like to play my Civ games over the period of like a week or so when I feel like it, not to fit in with the schedule of others.

It's ironic, really, that it is the anti-Steam camp that would suggest such a thing, since most of the Steam benefits are multiplayer centric.

Im in! Oh wait err i cant play multi player. Damn you civ iv! Civ iv hates poor people! Jk
Btw great idea. I would love to read about this if your planning on posting turnsets ect. Im sure it would be very very entertaining.

Ha! I love the idea. I can't join but I think it would be the ultimate way to see who is right, Steamers vs anti-Steamers in digital battle.

"It's ironic, really, that it is the anti-Steam camp that would suggest such a thing, since most of the Steam benefits are multiplayer centric." - Chalks

Geez, lighten up Chalks.

Ha! I love the idea. I can't join but I think it would be the ultimate way to see who is right, Steamers vs anti-Steamers in digital battle.

"It's ironic, really, that it is the anti-Steam camp that would suggest such a thing, since most of the Steam benefits are multiplayer centric." - Chalks

Geez, lighten up Chalks.

Hey, don't misunderstand my tone - I'm amused by it, not upset.

It's ironic, really, that it is the anti-Steam camp that would suggest such a thing, since most of the Steam benefits are multiplayer centric.

Well I’m a single player myself but I don’t need Steam to send you savegame by email, right?

While it’s obvious that I’ll join “Natives” (gotta love this :)), this is not so much anti-Steam camp as you say as it is pro-PlayTheAwesomeGameAndWentALittleSteamOutWhileHavingFun camp. (bah, I did it again…)

Sorry you won’t be joining though. I really can’t see why is PBEM so hard to accept. You play your turn and then you can forget about that if you like, for days. You do your playing or socializing here or whatever you like meanwhile. And then it pops in your email box and you say something like- oh well, my turn… hmm, where were we? How much time one turn can consume? Double that time, no quadruple that time and it won’t be near the time you spend reading and posting on these pages.
…
Oh, I love this game. :D

p.s. I’m far from the best player you can run into within the game, probably somewhere around Warlord with occasional bright bulb over my head.

Ok to bring my rocking chair and GOM sig? Since i'm in the way of progress and need to be phased out anyway, i'll need some youngster to fetch my reading glasses. Oh wait, I'm old. That means I can legaly bring the beer and pretzels and wax loquatious about the good old days. LOL,

Sign me up folks, I'm game... After I make a trip to the can and change my attends of course.

:mischief:

When I saw this thread, I immediately decided I had to prioritize finishing my degree (I'm waaaaay behind on everything I'm supposed to be doing this semester). But hey, I'm wasting this much time on the forum anyway, so why not play a bit for fun.

So if you're in need for more players, I'll be playing from Civ4 on Steam :)

I'm an SP player, though, so I won't be disappointed if you guys want more experienced players representing the Steam side :p

People who are irrationally "against Steam" and for "one unit per tile" are probably going to be inferior and defeated, but I don't think I have time to play in this one.

People who are irrationally "against Steam" and for "one unit per tile" are probably going to be inferior and defeated, but I don't think I have time to play in this one.

:confused:
I’m not sure what it is that you wanted to say exactly but, you won’t be playing.

This is Civ IV. There are SOD's you know.
And there is no “Steam” in the game.

And i personally love the idea of hexes and one unit per tile.

So thanks for… sharing this with us.

I am curious to see whether pbem will actually make it into civ V seeing as steam has no email/pm system atm. :(

Cyrano

I am curious to see whether pbem will actually make it into civ V seeing as steam has no email/pm system atm. :(

Cyrano

I'm sure Firaxis will be able to implement their own - it's not like email is a particularly complex or non standardised protocol.

I'm sure Firaxis will be able to implement their own - it's not like email is a particularly complex or non standardised protocol.

I'm sure for a nominal fee, after all, we must keep up with the times now.

Top Bottom