Pedia: Races of LOTR.

NubianMercenary

Warlord
Hey guys, don't know what is being done on the Pedia side of things, but just wanted to get things rolling faster.
Here is just an example of what I am doing at the moment, in concerns with the Pedia. Just some basic descriptions for the races of LOTR. This one is for the secret elvish creed known as: 'The Avari', tell me what yah guys think :) .

NOTE - This is just a diluted version, the actual thing (for the other races aswell) will be much more detailed, and in depth, especially for the 'known history' section.

The Avari (80% Done)

Dates: Awoke before the first age. - 1 to c.I 583.
Race: Elf
Division: Avari (Lang. Quenya)
Pronunciation: A’varee
Land(s): Throughout Middle-Earth, Beleriand.
Meaning: “Those who refused the summons”. “Those that departed” (Lang. Quenya)
Other Names: ‘The Unwilling, Dwellers of Forest’
Titles: … “The Dark”… “The Unwilling” … “The Wild”.

Description:

Out of all the different creeds of Elves. The Avari are the least known of or understood, originally branching from both the Tatyar and Nelyar clans, the Avari is a creed of mixed Elvin blood. Often migrating throughout the wild lands of Middle-Earth the Avari are a private creed. Though maintaining the general culture of other Elvin divisions, the Avari are looked down upon as being 'wild', 'unruly' or even a 'dark' creed of Elf. As they refused to listen to the Ainur, and did not see the light of Valinor. They are very mysterious and are said to be the reason for the existence of the Orcs' as a result of Avari being corrupted by the evil Ainu: 'Melkor', during ancient times. Other Elven peoples tend to keep their distance from the Avari for this reason, and tend to exclude their name when listing the history of the Elvish race.

Known History:

When the elves were commanded by the deity Oromë to follow him to the immortal lands of Valinor, all of the Minyar obeyed, followed by the Tatyar and Nelyar clans. However some elves from the Tatyar and Nelyar houses who did not trust the ‘Lords of the West’, and thus remained behind in the lands of Middle-Earth. There, the Avari kept to themselves and eventually spread throughout middle-earth sometimes trading or mingling with Dwarfs and Men.

Language:

The Avari language is believed to be very complex and great in number, due to the many dialects inside the Avari language. The Avari have been reported to have invented their own 'secret' sub-languages, which they use to great effect. However, the Avari are able to understand the Eldarin tongue, which is the reason why many still believe that the Avari speak Eldarin as their mother language. Due to their ‘dealings’ with both Men and Dwarfs, there are many Avarin based words found in both Dwarfern and the language of Men.

The Noldor (45% Done)

Dates: Awoke before the first age. - 1 to c.I 583.
Race: Elf
Division: Noldorin (Lang. Quenya)
Pronunciation: Ngo'ldorr.
Land(s): Western shores of Middle-Earth, Valinor, Tirion.
Meaning: “Those with knowledge” (Lang. Quenya)
Other Names: ‘Nómin (Lang. Westron), Deep Elves, War-Elves, Golug (Lang. Orcish), Goldoi (Lang. Teleri)
Titles: … “Masters of Iron”… “The Warring”

Description:

Held in high regard for their gift in weaponry, lore and craft-making the well learnt Noldor became a great and proud creed of Elf. Learning their crafts from the Ainu: ‘Aulë The Smith’, the Noldor gained incredible skill and knowledge. In little less then quarter of an age, the Noldorin Elves surpassed their teacher and were crafting weapons and other trinkets that even the Valar would envy. The Noldor were the ‘thinkers’ and philosophers for the Elvish race, priding themselves in logical debates, the Noldorin thirst for knowledge knew no limits. Matching their thirst for knowledge, equally existed their love for war and warfare. Also noted by their Elven brothers for being: “mightiest in skill of word and of hand” the Noldor are also the most warring division of Elf. Having fought in over countless wars and also a brutal civil-war the Noldor Elves are not only admired by their brothering creeds, but are also respected, if not slightly feared.

Known History:

Obeying the commands of the Valar to migrate to Valinor, the Noldor were founded by the second awoken Elf: ‘Tata’ near the mystical lake of Cuiviénen.

Sifaus, when you finish updating the full mod to 3.13, can you send it to Nubianmercenary?

Sorry for hijacking your thread, nubianmercenary :blush:

Reserved for further use4.
Hhahaha, thats alright mate, I'm just happy to be writing for such an awesome mod. :).

Reserved for further use5.

Yeah, thanks Gandhi, about the 'evil ainur' part, I just put that in there to suggest, how the Elves would think of him etc..
Also, I have just figured I will work on the Elvish race first (as in all their different creeds and stuff) since they were the first to be awoken. My friend has promised to work on the race of 'Men', but he is very busy doing study and stuff as well, my college is on holidays :). But yeah, I expect great things for this mod, and I know that I am not wasting my time.

60%

The Shadow/ Mordo
Dates: Awoke before the age of stars 1-
Race: Demons an Orcs
Division: Evil (Lang. Burzum)
Land(s): In age 1 in northern beleriland, in age 2-3 in Mordor and Mirkwood
Other Names: Dark Enemy

Description:

The dark, the mighty, a civ unlike all the others.

History:

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

Melkor, the ainur, the angel, the mighty, the dark. He was the mightiest of the Ainur. Melkor was jealous of Eru Illúvatar, the creator and god. Because he could control so many wills. He couldn't admit that all he created was made possible by Eru since he was too proud. No, he did instead aspire to the level of Eru, the true creator of all possibilities. When the Great Music of the Ainur durated, he altered the music and created a counter-theme to Erus music by his own design. Which flocked weaker willed ainur around him. But instead of taking over the music, Melkors music subverded the music and made Erus music more beutiful. When Eä was created, many ainur entered it, the Strongest to be called Vala and the weaker who served the valar to be called Maia. Melkor and his followers also settled down there. They ruined everything the other did. Each Vala had a focused power. Melkors natural area was terrible extremes and violence like bitter cold, scorching heat, earthquakes, rendings, breakings, utter darkness, burning light etc. His power was so great that the Valar were unable to restrain him.
Driven out by Tulkas, who heard the other Valas plead, Melkor brooded in the darkness at the outer reaches of Arda until an opportune moment arrived when Tulkas was asleep. He re-entered Arda and attacked and destroyed the Two Lamps, which at the time were the only sources of light. Arda was plunged into darkness, and island of Almaren, the first home of the Valar on Earth, was destroyed in the violence of the lamps' fall. After the fall of the Lamps, the Valar withdrew into the land of Aman in the far West. The country where they settled was called Valinor, which they heavily fortified. Melkor held dominion over Middle-earth from his fortress of Utumno in the Northeast. When the elves woke up for a tyrann like Melkor, he enslaved them and breeded them to the first orcs. The Valar declared war at Melkor and emprisoned him in 3 ages and destroyed Utumno. The orcs however, survived in the caves under Utumno. After emprisoned, Melkor settled in Valinor and plotted against the Noldor. When he destroyed the trees of valinor together with the Monster Ungoliant and killed Finwë and took the silmarillions, fëanor gave him the name Morgoth. Morgoth set his balrogs to drive away Ungoliant and then he returned to the north. The fortress angband. In the end of the first age the valar destroyed Beleriland and melkor was slayed, however his right hand Sauron survived and corrupted the nümenorians. Then fled east to Mordor, where he forged the One ring in Mount Doom. When sauron corrupted the nine Kings and they joined the Shadow as Nazgüls. After the last alliance, Eru Illúvatar destroyed numenor and Isildur cut the ring of Saurons finger. Saurons physical form was destroyed and his dark spirit hid in Mirkwood. The castle Barad Dür was destroyed. But Isildur kept the ring. You know the history then. Sauron returned to Mordor in the third age and the threat of the east was established again. When the hobbit frodo destroyed the ring, sauron was destroyed wholy and so did his Nazgúls. Mordor was destroyed and the men made peace.

Very, very good! Maybe you'd like to look at what I've done for some civs in the text file, some are almost regular. They have many informations (some are huge), a few quotes from the books, and such. Your texts are much better, but it may be good to have another "specific" source.
P.S.: the singular is Ainu, ainur is the plural form. The same for Elda-Eldar, Sinda-Sindar, Vala-Valar, Maia-Maiar, etc.

Awesome Gandhi, you forgot the: 'Language' section though. Also would you mind just putting a % note in brackets just so we know where we are etc...

Thanks,

Top Bottom