Penalty for Recapturing Cities?

holywar

Chieftain
Is there an additional penalty for recapturing cities that were lost the turn before? I was embroiled in a epic struggle with Monty for his coastal capital. My forces had total land superiority, but he had an enormous navy. Each turn, I would crush the city with my cannons, then capture it with a Lancer and retreat to safety. He responds with a torrent of Frigate fire and takes it back with one of his ironclads. This stalemate continues for about a dozen turns while I wait for him to run out of melee naval units.

Do I get a warmonger penalty for each time I recapture the city? In the end, I wore him down and he gave me more cities in a peace treaty, which I liberated. The liberation obviously helped me but I wonder how much damage was done to my international reputation by the prolonged siege of Tenochtitlan.

Just having the city conquered is a 50% pop lost along with a lot of buildings penalty; and so even if it doesn't lose another 50% lost recapturing, I'd say that's a major penalty to the original owner.

Warmonger from taking cities does indeed stack. But it takes the form of 1 over N ; N number of cities he had prior to you taking it, so if he had several cities its insignificant.

There's no penalty for recapturing cities.. You dont have to build courthouses on them either unless you recaptured them from a civilization that you captured it from first.

If the city was founded by another civ, then I believe there is a warmonger penalty each time you conquer it (in addition to population and building loss).

If you originally founded the city, then there is not warmonger penalty, but there is the population and building loss.

Also, under certain circumstances (like the Fall of Rome Mod), losing a city can cause problems (forced to take the evil social policies) even if it is capturing/losing/recapturing/losing again.

Top Bottom