Performance issues on Mountain Lion

Treedweller

Chieftain
I recently updated my MacBook Pro (2.7 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 650M) to Mountain Lion (10.8). In Lion, Civ V ran flawlessly on medium settings. Though the game would slow between turns later in the game, I was able to scroll across the map or enter the city screen without slowdown.

In Mountain Lion, the game runs choppy, even early in the game when there's less units and moves to process. The game's constantly hiccupping. I even lowered the settings and the resolution--the game's still encountering the same problems. Has anyone else experienced the same rough performance in the transition from Lion to Mountain Lion?

I verified the integrity of the game's files in Steam, so I'm not sure what's going on. Perhaps I'm the only one.

That's sad to hear. I was holding off on updating my Macbook Pro, and mine isn't as good as yours (2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB).

I'll keep an eye on the forum for other reports, for now, I'm not upgrading.

Noticed same here with Nvidia 320M. Performance was slow at Lion, and is even slower on Mountain Lion. Maby something was done to Nvidia drivers during os update that made performance worse...

I haven't experienced any crashes, but I haven't played more than five turns without getting frustrated and quitting the game to fiddle with my settings. We'll probably need a patch/hotfix to optimize CiV for Mountain Lion.

I know nothing about the drivers, migo, but you could be right.

I'm experiencing the same problems on a Retina Macbook after upgrading to Mountain Lion. I also tried doing a clean install, but the issues remained.

I'm also seeing this in other games, such as Driver: San Francisco, where the game skips every 3-5 seconds, running smooth in between. I think this is a driver or OS issue, and I'm hoping for a patch soon.

About to test it on my Mid 2011 iMac. I hope it works.
EDIT: I'm surprised to say it works even better than before! Started a game with 21 civs on a Giant Earth map and no more white and red checkerboards :)

I'm also having problems on my Macbook Pro Retina. I have a 2.6GHz processor and it ran perfectly before I updated to mountain lion. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Its terrible! Its very unstable! I also have the retina macbook pro but 2.3GHz… Its slower and really jerks around when moving the curser around

Hi

Yep, same here. On a MBPR with lion last week it was very smooth (even with almost everything on max). Updated to Mountain lion this weekend and now it's quite jerky (even on turn 1). Offcourse none of the settings are changed.

Typical, I was one of the few (?) that had greate visuals, speed and no crashes on a MBPR, now with ML it's just crap (no crashes though, well one).

Wonder what might have caused this (for me at least) significant slowdown since the general assumtion with updates is that they will make things better/faster??

Side note, batterylife when playing Civ5 is just wierd, 1h - 1,30h tops with a full charge and screen on say 60 % brightness. Probably not's civ's fault, but anyway...

BR
Henric

From our limited number of responses, it seems like this problem is only on MBR hardware.

I should note that Civ V runs better in my Windows partition than it did in even 10.7.x. I'm not sure how the new MacBook hardware and Mountain Lion are conspiring to make Civ V nearly unplayable.

Probably not just a Retina problem. I'm using a Mid-2011 iMac 3.4GHz (AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics) and am having the same issues. Game crashes 4-5 times per hour, bizarre graphics glitches from time to time, etc.

Good to know that it's not just an MBR problem. Thanks for the report, Riftcat. Hopefully Aspyr will come up with a fix soon.

I will not upgrade my OS X to 10.8 this year, becuase i have met a tons of issues on those Mac forums and many application software are not compatible with the OS X 10.8 at present ...

----------------------------
Rip DVDs on Mac OS X .

Agree with Pandolphin above. My feeling after a few games on my 2011 imac is that it's smoother and faster after upgrade to mountain lion :)

Improved performance reports seem to come from iMac 2011 users. Those machines seem to have Radeon 67**M GPU, so performance could have improved at Radeon GPUs with mountain lion, but has become wose on computers with nVidia GPU (such as MBPR and other machines using nVidia cards)

does anyone know if upgrading to mountain lion and then downgrading again means you get to keep mountain lion for after they fix it, or will you have to repurchase?

i'm asking because i have a free upgrade, and have been holding off on it. if anyone knows would be greatly appreciated.

Mountain Lion should be tied to your Apple account--free upgrade or not--which means that there's nothing stopping you from downloading it a second, third, or millionth time. That should work, Trimaj.

thanks much. i figured that was probably the case, but just wondered if anyone could give me more info.

sorta a new mac user so... lot i don't really know yet.

Just to add to the list of problem systems, I have a MacPro (2010) 2x2.4 Quad Xeons, with Radeon 5870, OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion). Civ V (Gods & Kings) from Steam, running under OS X.

Ultra buggy. Crashes about once an hour. Slow in early rounds, very slow in later rounds.

So, don't think it is MBR only, or nVidia (since neither apply to my system…).

HTH

Top Bottom