Performance Question

Sayjimwoo

Chieftain
I am running Civ V on a high end system SSD, 4770k 4.5ghz CPU and a GTX 780 (1080p LED)
I have vsync on and the highest graphics settings and it runs as smooth as butter at all times and at all zoom levels without an ounce of stutter ever.
I generally play small maps with 4-5 civs and 8 City-States. Recently I upped my map size to standard, still with 4-5 Civs but with 16 City-States.
Now towards the end game when the entire map had been fully uncovered and with armies everywhere, I noticed stutters when panning while zoomed out (due to dropping below 60fps whilst using vsync). I decided to do a little test, I set every graphical option to the lowest setting and restarted my saved game, it still stuttered when zoomed out.
The thing what I can't get my head around is that the AI had taken its turn, so can the CPU still be stressed? Can a big map with many Civs, even at the lowest detail no matter still drop the framerate? Is it the 16 City-States causing this? I understand all the calculations going on but surely when the AI has taken it's turn they are over.
I kinda guess what ever system you throw at this game it gets bogged down once you have lots going on.

You're talking about when the textures pop back into place? I suspect Firaxis knows more about making civ games than they do about directX.

Yeah I have seen the grey textures when you load up a new save. It has always done that but that doesn't bother me too much as the textures eventually return after a minute or so. It was the stuttering on a busy map with a high spec PC that irritated me. I guess that after a certain PC spec, the performance levels off no matter what hardware you throw at the game.

You mean turn time are much longer late game? If so it's animations for the AI GWB and bombers. I select "Quick Combat" in the advanced setup tab before a game. You can also select "Quick Combat" in game. If not that then I think you mean when you create fishing boats the animation blocks the UI thread, or when you meet a CS the UI blocks again etc.........

No, he means when he moves the camera around while zoomed out the game stutter no matter how low he sets his graphics

No, he means when he moves the camera around while zoomed out the game stutter no matter how low he sets his graphics

That should go away on strategic view; but in this case in would be during your own turn.

Yes, tactical screen isn't really designed to be zoomed out as far as it can be though; it behaves much better one level in from max.

I was experiencing performance question in BNW, so I went to video and lowered all the options to low. The video settings were too high.

Top Bottom