Permanently set your Custom Game Settings

xienwolf

Deity
EDIT: This post is no longer valid after BtS patch 3.17 made options persistent between games

I know many people have asked how to do this before. I also know many people do not desire to mod-mod FfH, so won't read my other post I just made regarding the subject, so I am going to commit an internet faux-paus and Double Post!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

You can change what the default settings are and which ones are visible really easily, but if you do it the normal way you have to adjust it with each patch. Set up a module and you can set it once and never have to do so again (you will however have to turn on Modular Loading again with each new patch, but that is a very minor change compared to setting up all of your favorite game options)

Instructions as follow:

1. Turn on Modular Loading in the .ini if not already enabled for my mod-mod (See Modular FfH post for instructions)
  2. Open the Assets Folder
  3. Create a new folder called Modules
  4. Open the Modules Folder
  5. Create a new folder called Game Settings
    • Copy Assets\XML\Gameinfo\CIV4GameOptionInfos.xml & Assets\XML\Gameinfo\CIV4GameInfoSchema.xml into this folder
    • Rename these two files to Assets\XML\Gameinfo\Opt_CIV4GameOptionInfos.xml & Assets\XML\Gameinfo\Opt_CIV4GameInfoSchema.xml
  6. Open Opt_CIV4GameOptionInfos.xml with Notepad
  7. Find the line which reads: <Civ4GameOptionInfos xmlns="x-schema:CIV4GameInfoSchema.xml">
    • Edit it to read: <Civ4GameOptionInfos xmlns="x-schema:Opt_CIV4GameInfoSchema.xml">

Now you can edit this file further as you desire to customize your settings for future games as follows:

1. <bDefault>0</bDefault> means the option will be disabled by default. Change it to <bDefault>1</bDefault> to enable the option
  2. <bVisible>1</bVisible> means that the option will show up in the Custom Game screen so that you can change on a case-by-case basis. Change it to <bVisible>0</bVisible> to hide an option.
    • If you ALWAYS play your game with an option either ON or OFF, set the default to what you desire, then hide it by setting this option to 1. Now your list of options available will be much smaller and easier to browse for those options which you like to use only in some games.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Thats defined in CIV4WorldInfo.xml for each world size, here's the code for standard maps:

Code:
		<WorldInfo>
			<Type>WORLDSIZE_STANDARD</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_WORLD_STANDARD</Description>
			<Help>TXT_KEY_WORLD_STANDARD_HELP</Help>
			[B]<iDefaultPlayers>7</iDefaultPlayers>[/B]
			<iUnitNameModifier>20</iUnitNameModifier>
			<iTargetNumCities>5</iTargetNumCities>
			<iNumFreeBuildingBonuses>5</iNumFreeBuildingBonuses>
			<iBuildingClassPrereqModifier>50</iBuildingClassPrereqModifier>
			<iMaxConscriptModifier>25</iMaxConscriptModifier>
			<iWarWearinessModifier>-10</iWarWearinessModifier>
			<iGridWidth>21</iGridWidth>
			<iGridHeight>13</iGridHeight>
			<iTerrainGrainChange>0</iTerrainGrainChange>
			<iFeatureGrainChange>0</iFeatureGrainChange>
			<iResearchPercent>130</iResearchPercent>
			<iTradeProfitPercent>50</iTradeProfitPercent>
			<iDistanceMaintenancePercent>80</iDistanceMaintenancePercent>
			<iNumCitiesMaintenancePercent>30</iNumCitiesMaintenancePercent>
			<iNumCitiesAnarchyPercent>8</iNumCitiesAnarchyPercent>
		</WorldInfo>
Change the number of default players as desired.

In vanilla BtS this has the unwanted side effect of increasing the requirements for the 'quest' events which was pretty bad since you had more opponents taking up the land and you suddenly needed more cities to build more libraries/forges/harbors or whatever. I don't know if FfH uses the same value for any of their events, hopefully not since it's a poor choice.

Personally, I'd skip the whole modular xml process since you'll have to repeat that anytime they update either of these files, unfortunately changing the mod files directly has it's own problems but placing the modified version in custom assets should work well enough.

FfH doesn't use Custom Assets folder. That one causes FAR more problems than even just modular loading does quite quickly (since many people have other things in their Custom Assets that are not designed specifically for FfH).

I am not sure what you are saying is th eproblem with doing it as a modular XML file. The modular files are NEVER updated by anyone but the player who created them, so if they decide to change that setting modularly as well they would never have to touch it again.

Is there a way to save your and AI player selections?

I like creating games with x number of evil, good and neutral players,
but it's a pain lelecting them each time.

Thanks.

Short of turning off the AI ability to select all of the civs except those you would normally place in the game, none that I know of. And if you are going to do that you might as well use a Scenario savegame or something which just has them all set from the start.

I admit I don't want to mess with mods. I am not a programmer. I just want to know if I can set a default in any kind of file for the following:

1. my Civ and leader name
  2. How many opponents I want.

I've check the ini file and it doesn't show me where I can make these changes. Then again, I'm not a programmer.

Any help (including pointing me to right thread) would be greatly appreciated.

Post 5 had some hints on how to set the default number of opponents for a given map size. Nobody ever looked to see if this would change anything else in the game for FfH, but I do not think that it should since we don't have quests.

The Leader/Civ name thing I think is in the Options screen somewhere, or you can set it during a Play Now game maybe... I know it can be done, just cannot remember where/how :(

I do not know of any way to set the number of Advanced start points, but if the number automatically changes when you select a new mapsize or gamespeed, then there must be a control for it in the appropriate XML file.

But the first post of this thread is no longer true at all since BtS 3.17 made the game remember your game options.

Top Bottom