Persian History

I can do a screen cap of the flag, otherwise I couldn't find it on google.

I think Faravahar could be implemented for the flag easier than the golden sign, that would be great, actually!

yeah i dont like that scimitar at all. thanks for posting it. The picture they have for the immortal is also pretty bad, the guy's dressed up like an arab, well at least he has a spear and not a sword, lol.

"I am Cyrus. King of the world. When I entered Babylon... I did not allow anyone to terrorize the land... I kept in view the needs of people and all its sanctuaries to promote their well-being... I put an end to their misfortune. The Great God has delivered all the lands into my hand; the lands that I have made to dwell in a peaceful habitation.... . .When my soldiers in great numbers peacefully entered Babylon... I did not allow anyone to terrorize the people... I kept in view the needs of people and all its sanctuaries to promote their well-being... Freed all the slaves... I put an end to their misfortune and slavery (referring to the Jews and other religious minorities). The Great God has delivered all the lands into my hand; the lands that I have made to dwell in a peaceful habitation... "

I do like this quote. Anyone have a cleaned up version of it? They have it at the United Nations.

Hello Guys,

I've also noticed this HUGE ERROR by Firaxis Games and am determined to get it fixed and i'm sure you share that sentiment with me. Therefore we've come up with a (protest)template that can be used and sent of to the responsible authorities for this issue to be resolved. I've included it below. Thanks to X's edited version of the text. If you have any comments please don't hesitate to write.

Send your emails of concern to (if you have other contact info please bring it to our attention):

dbriggs@firaxis.com
lriehl@firaxis.com
dbriggs@firaxis.com

For those of you that live in the States it might be a good idea (in addition to sending an email) to write/call Firaxis regarding this issue:

Firaxis Games
11350 McCormick Road
Executive Plaza III; Suite 1100
Hunt Valley, MD 21031

Phone:
410-891-3001

ALSO:

Game Feedback - Fill out the form on this link: http://www.firaxis.com/company/gamefeedback.php

"AskSid" section of the official website for Civilization IV:

http://www.firaxis.com/community/asksid.php

On the above link:

"If you want to ask Sid a question, send an email to webmaster@firaxis.com. Put "Ask Sid" in the subject line. Please note that we cannot answer all questions submitted to this forum. Due to the quantity of "Ask Sid" emails we recieve, we ask that you please refrain from sending us new game ideas."

THe draft we've come up with looks like this:

Dear Sir/Madame,

Having recently come across your new PC Game "Civilization IV" and coming from a Persian (Iranian) background I was tempted to see how the "Persian Empire" would be depicted in this new edition of the game. I was shocked and offended as any other Iranian would be to find many factual errors in the description of the "Persian Empire" and of Persians/Iranians. This factual error has also been brought up and discussed on this Civilization Fan's Forum: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=132327

Seeing that your games are being used as educational tools to many teachers around the world ( http://www.firaxis.com/community/teacher.php ) and that you yourself have professed dedication to what you've named "stealth education", which I believe is an excellent idea if implemented correctly, I wouldn't have expected to find a major factual mistake such as the ones below.
These are excerpts from the "Civilization IV" Firaxis Games:

-"In a series of decisive battles between 633 and 642, the Arabs conquered and destroyed the Persian Empire; since this time, Persia (modern Iran) has largely belonged to the Arab world. The customs and religion of ancient Persia were destroyed and the population absorbed into the surrounding Islamic culture; only a few remnants survive today."-

In the above paragraph Iran is labeled an Arab country which is not true and has no factual base. Iranians are Indo-Europeans as you have yourself explained in the beginning of your introduction but in the end you switch to claiming that Iranians are part of the Arab world and thus Arabs. This is nothing less than offending to anyone that is from Iran.
The next sentence is also offending and un-true:

-"The customs and religion of ancient Persia were destroyed and the population absorbed into the surrounding Islamic culture; only a few remnants survive today."-

It is true that the ancient Persian religion of Zoroastrianism was dealt a major blow by the Arab invasion. Persia was "islamized" but Persians never abandoned their own culture and customs to that of the Arabs. Iranians have always celebrated their pre-islamic customs and traditions such as their New Year (Norooz, approximately March 20th and it is recognized by over forty US States as Persian Heritage day), "Fire Feast" (Chaharshanbe Soori) and many more. Iranians do not share cultural/linguistics factors with that of the Arabs; the only thing that is shared is the religion of islam. In fact, Iranians are shia muslims and most (99%) of the Arabs are sunni muslims, two different sects.

We are not asking you to rewrite history, but rather present it as it is - in a short and concise manner like you've aimed to; and I am certain Firaxis does not want to jeopardize Civilization's historical accuracy. Misrepresenting history will only lead to more ignorance in our world.
One individual has gone about correcting this and his edited version is presented below- note that most of the original text is kept in place and only those sentences that were false have been corrected.

I hope that we can rectify this problem as soon as possible, and with that improve Firaxis Games' image and efforts in "stealth education".

Yours sincerely,

SAMPLE EDITED TEXT:

The term Persia has been used for centuries, chiefly in the West, to designate a region of southern Iran formerly known as Persis or Parsa; the name of the Indo-European nomadic ‘Aryan’ people who migrated into the region about 1000 BC, eventually supplanting the Assyrians and Chaldeans. The Persian Empire, in its peak, stretched from India to Egypt and the Greek mainland. The first mention of the Parsa occurs in the annals of Shalmanesar III, an Assyrian king, in 844 BC. Cyrus II (559-529 BC), also known as Cyrus the Great, was heir to a long line of ruling kings in Persia and was the founder of the Persian Empire; he was called the father of his people by the ancient Persians. In 550 BC, Cyrus, the Prince of Persia, revolted against his maternal grandfather, the Median king Astyages, and welded the Persians and Medes together into one powerful force. Cyrus consolidated his rule on the Iranian Plateau and then extended it westward across Asia Minor. In October 539 BC, Babylon, the greatest city of the ancient world, fell to his Persian forces. Cyrus also oversaw the construction of a series of great roads to link together the territories that he had conquered. Although Cyrus was a great military conqueror, he was also a fair ruler; he allowed and funded the Jews’ return from Babylon to their homeland in Palestine. Upon his invasion of Babylon, he had his decrees written on a clay cylinder known as the cylinder of Cyrus. This cylinder is considered the first universal declaration of human rights in history. His dynasty, known as the Achaemenids, ruled Persia for two centuries.

Following the death of Cyrus' heir, who added Egypt to the empire, Darius I (522-486 BC), a leading general and one of the princes of the Achaemenid family, proclaimed himself king following the suppression of a number of provincial rebellions and challenges from other pretenders to the throne. Darius was in the mold of Cyrus the Great - a powerful personality and a dynamic ruler. To consolidate his accession, Darius I founded his new capital of Parsa, known to the Greeks as Persepolis ("Persian City") and expanded the ranks of his personal bodyguard, the Immortals. The elite force consisted of exactly ten thousand men and drew its name from the fact that no matter how many men were lost, the Persian Emperor would always pay the cost to restore the Immortals back to their original strength. Although Darius consolidated and added to the conquests of his predecessors, it was as an administrator that he made his greatest contribution to Persian history. During his reign, political and legal reforms revitalized the provinces and ambitious projects were undertaken to promote imperial trade and commerce; coinage, weights and measures were standardized and new land and sea routes, including the earliest Suez Canal, explored and established.

Such activities, however, did not prevent Darius from following an active expansionist policy. Campaigns in the east confirmed gains made by Cyrus the Great and added large sections of the northern Indian subcontinent to the list of Persian-controlled provinces. In 502 BC, Persian-controlled Ionian provinces in Asia Minor started to revolt supported by the Greek city states. Darius moved against the city states and defeated the revolution (afterwards allowing democratic government in the states). He then invaded mainland Greece in 492 BC. Thrace, Macedonia and Eretria were taken, but the Persian army was defeated at the Battle of Marathon and retreated back to Asia. Xerxes (486-465 BC), son and successor of Darius I, was determined to continue the Persian conquest of the west and is best known for his massive invasion of Greece from across the Hellespont in 480 BC, a campaign marked by the battles of Thermopylae, Salamis, and Plataea. Although successful in the pacification of Egypt and suppression of a Babylon revolt, his defeat by the allied Greek city-states spelled the beginning of the decline of the Achaemenian Empire. In Xerxes' last years, he squandered the once-enormous treasury he had gathered through trade and taxation by launching vast construction programs, most never finished.

The death of Xerxes was the final turning point in Achaemenian influence. Occasional flashes of vigor and ability by some of Xerxes' successors were too infrequent to prevent eventual collapse. The final act was played out during the reign of Darius III (336-330 BC), who was defeated at the Battle of Granicus (334 BC) by Alexander of Macedon, who in April 330 BC burned down Persepolis in a drunken rage. Darius, the last Achaemenian, was murdered by his own officers in the summer of the same year while fleeing the Greek forces. In the struggle for power after Alexander's death, Seleucus I brought under his control the Persian provinces of Alexander's empire. But this unity was short-lived, as the Parthians, another Iranian tribe, retook the empire. The Romans and Parthians struggled against one another for centuries over control of Mesopotamia, with the Parthians usually holding onto most of the Fertile Crescent. The Parthians introduced a new tactic by combining archers and cavalry, hence ‘The Parthian Shot’. They used this to defeat Krassus of the Roman Triumvirate at the Battle of Carrhae in 53 BC. But in 224 AD the Parthians, who had grown weak, were overthrown by a new Sassanid dynasty that revived many of the customs of the Achaemenids, such as the Zoroastrian religion. The Sassanids fought a series of debilitating wars with the Byzantine Empire in the 6th and 7th centuries, even taking the Roman Emperor Valerian prisoner. These wars, however, weakened the Persian Empire when the Arabs exploded onto the scene. In a series of decisive battles between 633 and 642, the Arabs conquered and destroyed the Persian Empire. After several hundred years of Arab rule, Persia was restored to Persian rule in 1501 with the Safavid Dynasty. During the ensuing centuries, Persia was invaded by the Mongols, Russians and Timurids, yet managed to keep its unique culture and language, and made significant contributions to the arts and sciences. In 1935 Reza Khan Pahlavi, the Shah of Persia, formally requested that the international community call the country by its native name, 'Iran', which means ‘Land of the Aryans’.

Send it off as soon as possible.

Ba Sepaas

This is taken from Firaxis Games' own website! Please read this:

http://www.firaxis.com/community/teacher.php

Welcome to the Firaxis Games Teacher Features!
Over the past several years, leading educators have begun a global discussion about the efficacy of using off-the-shelf consumer games to educate students. Teachers have found that some games in particular have a remarkable ability to keep students engaged and teach them at the same time. The basic requirements for a "stealth" teaching game is that it be fun, that in order to succeed in the game the student needs to learn about "real world" topics, and that the game's content be suitable for the particular education level and sophistication of the target students.

Much to our surprise, teachers around the world have been using Firaxs games for these purposes. Sid Meier's Civilization III, in particular, is now widely being used to teach students about history, geography, politics, and the like — though we in no way intentionally designed it to be used as such.

The Teacher Features section is for teachers who are interested in discussing this issue — with us, and with each other. Over the next few months we will begin a serious dialog on "stealth" education: we hope that you find it useful.

About Firaxis Games
Many Firaxis games focus on "real world" topics: Sid Meier's Civilization III, for instance, is about the development and growth of world civilizations. Sid Meier's Civil War games look at some of the most important battles in that most important struggle for the survival of the United States. Even Sid Meier's SimGolf looks at the problems and challenges of building and running a successful entertainment facility — albeit in a lighthearted manner. Click here to see all of Firaxis' current and past game titles.

Again, it cannot be overstated that Firaxis has never set out to make an "educational" game — however, it turns out that the company's basic design tenets tend to create games that work quite well for these purposes.

Stealthy Education The more you know, the better the flow.

In-Game Rewards
Your progress in the game is rewarded with cool images, and interactive experiences that entertain you while revealing information that will make you smarter the next time you play.

The "Just One More Turn" Effect
Firaxis creative director Sid Meier is famous for creating games with the "just one more turn" effect, in which the player becomes so enamored with the progress of the game that they find it enormously difficult to stop playing — like reading a good book you can’t put down. Sid achieves this by constantly presenting the player with another challenge, another decision to make. The challenges are so engaging that the player wants to play "one more turn" to see how it turns out. Further, the player realizes that all of his or her decisions are important — even if they lose, they'll want to try again to see how a different decision would affect the outcome.

Firaxis wants to keep kids engaged and playing because that increases our sales, while educators want kids to keep playing because they're learning while they play. Everybody wins — even the students!

What the Educators Say
“Will computers change the way we learn? We answer “yes”. Video games create new social and cultural worlds, worlds that help people learn by integrating thinking, social interaction, and technology, all in the service of doing things they care about … virtual worlds are powerful contexts for learning. “ — Schaffer, Squire, Halverson, Gee (2004)

Further Information
TeacherSpeak opens the floor to educators. In our first issue (Winter 2004) we heard from noted educator and computer-game proponent Kurt Squire.

Our current issue (Spring 2005), Rex A. Martin from Bowie State University discusses the interactive nature of games, and their ability to reach, motivate and teach students.

Developer Soapbox is a place where we share the best lessons learned and (quite frankly) Firaxis viewpoints on some of the pressing issues of the day.

Our current issue (Summer 2005), Noah Felstein

Talk to Us!
Want to tell us about your experiences using consumer games to educate your students? Have a comment on what someone else has said? Want to make contact with other educators in your area? Drop us a line at Webmaster@firaxis.com! Put "Teacher Features" in the subject line.

Being a persian aswell, i fully agree with your statements.
I also noticed the Hafezie in the background as was slightly confused with it.... even though it is generally in the correct geographical location (near shiraz).
Also, i think that civilopedia is very inconsistent, It doesnt take into account what Ferdosi's Shahnameh (Epic of Kings) did, which was re-kindle the persian culture in a massive way and as a result caused the persian culture and traditions to be reborn again.

Lets hope we can correct this!

cool, sending the letter now

Well done to all who are doing so much to ensure that the truth is told..

I am half persian, and find that in civ, as in many outside sources, the representation of Persian history is quite bias and sometimes wrong.

Persian culture has in fact stood the test of time, even after thoasands of years of invasions, the persian civilization never crumbled, and technically only changed its name from persia to iran some 70 years ago.

I was also extrememly by the remarks that persia died with the dawn of the Arab world (or something to that matter).

Nevertheless, i appreciate sid's and firifax's efforts in bringing us a game that gives us the opportunity to learn about cultures, and various civilizations (even when the information can be slightly tainted!)

I was also extrememly by the remarks that persia died with the dawn of the Arab world (or something to that matter).

Nevertheless, i appreciate sid's and firifax's efforts in bringing us a game that gives us the opportunity to learn about cultures, and various civilizations (even when the information can be slightly tainted!)

My sediment is same. Although I dislike the inaccurate statements made in the history part, I think this is the first American computer game with Persian speaking units. Has any other game gotten this deep into Persian history and language? Playing as the Persian Empire? It's a very nice prospect indeed! They just need to fix a couple of sentences in their history section.

EDIT: It sort of reads like an apologist post, but believe me, I am all for changing the inaccuracies. I am merely thankful that there's something to correct at all! As someone from Persian background, I am quite proud of that rich history.

And I just sent a letter to Sid :)

Meh, and I forgot to ask why Cyrus the Great of 5th century BC is standing in front of Hafez's tomb, erected on or about 15th century AD :p He should be standing by the Gate of All Nations.

Nice thread, Agree with all the comments. Got to admit though, the persian voices are cool, down to the Shomal Shahr accents.
I would like to see Khomeini as a possible leader also. Firs post monarchy leader of the region.
What are your thoughts?

I'm not totally fluent in Persian, so I didn't know exactly where that dialect was from. I just knew that wasn't how the people in Tehran spoke. Is that how they speak in Shomal nowadays?

I agree, they did a great job with the Persian voices. Maybe someone in Firaxis is Persian and oversaw quality control :p

I would have liked to see Mossadeq as a leader, but he wasn't in charge very long ...

Xshayathiya said:
Persia’s revenge on Greece was ultimately somewhat successful. Persia supported the Greek infighting of the Peloponnesian Wars. These wars saw the decline of the Greek city-states, who never regained their former glory. this is optional but i thought it should be in there.

Okay, you brought it up so as a good Greek (partial, anyway) I have to respond: Marathon. Thermopylae. Salamis. Plataea. Cunaxa (okay, that was an intramural on your part, but our guys kicked tail).

Notice I'm not mentioning Guagamela or Granicus. You have a legitimate gripe about Civ's Persian "history", but we're stuck with a fascist Macedonian psychopath as our only leaderhead. Was Pericles not available? At least someone Greek?

Oh, and can anyone explain why the language is Farsi, not Parsi? The name "Persian" comes from the Pars province, right? So I would assume the language would be Parsi. Unless the name came to English in Arabic and they replaced the P with an F. Anyway... always was curious about that.

I too, have always been confused why people considered the Arab invasion the end of Persia. It was only the beginning of a new Islamic Persia that is still around today.

Ruffin said:
Okay, you brought it up so as a good Greek (partial, anyway) I have to respond: Marathon. Thermopylae. Salamis. Plataea. Cunaxa (okay, that was an intramural on your part, but our guys kicked tail).

Notice I'm not mentioning Guagamela or Granicus. You have a legitimate gripe about Civ's Persian "history", but we're stuck with a fascist Macedonian psychopath as our only leaderhead. Was Pericles not available? At least someone Greek?

Oh, and can anyone explain why the language is Farsi, not Parsi? The name "Persian" comes from the Pars province, right? So I would assume the language would be Parsi. Unless the name came to English in Arabic and they replaced the P with an F. Anyway... always was curious about that.

;) Of course i didnt mention those battles. Yeah i feel sorry for you guys, at least we have a good leader. :goodjob:

Persia was the word the greeks gave us, Fars is what we call it ourselves.

Top Bottom