Pie's Ancient Europe

that was the reason. download the new version from the download thread before playing, as you want that the mod runs stable. because it could happen again and again with the older version.
I am glad that I could found out what you've confirmed then.

Great mod, I love it. Two remarks for now:
1. units are dirt cheap and we end making thousands of them which just make things slower.
2. teching is also unbelievably fast (I am playing Emperor level)

concerning the latest version, can I take it form the German forum? or is this a "german" version?
Thanks in advance

thanks hannibal,
1. the units are more expensive than in the original game, but the bonuses and building make them pretty cheap in a bigger town. found a new city and see that they aren't as cheap as they look like.
2. tech is fast? you are the first one who says that ;)

yes you can download it from the german forum. both versions are equal. in the german forum you download it from a german server, here it's on an us server.

Great mod, I love it. Two remarks for now:
1. units are dirt cheap and we end making thousands of them which just make things slower.
2. teching is also unbelievably fast (I am playing Emperor level)

:confused:
2. how many rounds should it take to reach a new tech?

Nice map by the way.

have you or will you consider adding the BUG mod?

also, and I apologize if I have somehow overlooked this, but a description here of the maps and scenarios would be nice...thanks

again, what "speed" is ideal for the game

Thanks for that fix! This mod is tons of fun. I noticed that the AI civs can send their work boats wherever they want.

The Gauls (I think that's who it is, green guys) need some kind of balancing agent. In the few games I've played they are always 3-500 points ahead of everyone else and in my last game they declared war on me shortly after I (the Romans) figured out one god was good enough, their invasion force consisted of at least 100 units with more pouring in every round. They don't seem to suffer from leprosy or the plague (at least as much as I did), which definitely adds to the fun when I try to defend a city against their 100 unit SoD, and it gets hit with the plague and I wind up losing a couple of generals and a bunch of other units.

@Red Boxer
Try to deny Brennus Northern Italy! If you settle a city about in the place of Milan before he does, you will have gold, silver, pig, wheat, stone and game and he won't, or at least not all of it. That means, your cities will grow and produce lots of units, and he will stay weaker, more likely be attacked by his other neighbours, and not as leprosy-immune as if he runs that Mediolanum super city. Maybe that differs from the course of history, but Brennuses ass needs to be whupped back in balance, right?

I noticed that the AI civs can send their work boats wherever they want.
No they don't. The AI has no advantages. If so you would have contact with carthage and the egypt 3000 BC. But some CIVs are able to discover Sailing (about 1200 BC). After that they are able to.
The Gauls (I think that's who it is, green guys) need some kind of balancing agent. In the few games I've played they are always 3-500 points ahead of everyone else and in my last game they declared war on me shortly after I (the Romans) figured out one god was good enough, their invasion force consisted of at least 100 units with more pouring in every round.
Brennus captured Rome in history! So be careful. The Romans get very (!) strong in time.
They don't seem to suffer from leprosy or the plague (at least as much as I did), which definitely adds to the fun when I try to defend a city against their 100 unit SoD, and it gets hit with the plague and I wind up losing a couple of generals and a bunch of other units.
;) They have more forests. That's the clue. But they do not have sanitation, bathhouses and aqueducts... so in later times they get hard to play.
Be careful and try to avoid that your cities become unhealty (stop growing by hand)! Leprosy was a very common problem in ancient times...

wow! i'm playing now and this game is chock full of awesomeness! probably some more balancing tweaks needed and i bet you could expand the tech tree more in the early stages to beef things up.

i like how it takes some time to have the ability to get a second city. you can really focus on the first city.

are brennus and boudica co-located,i.e., only one or the other? who is on the british isles?

No they don't. The AI has no advantages. If so you would have contact with carthage and the egypt 3000 BC. But some CIVs are able to discover Sailing (about 1200 BC). After that they are able to.

Brennus captured Rome in history! So be careful. The Romans get very (!) strong in time.

;) They have more forests. That's the clue. But they do not have sanitation, bathhouses and aqueducts... so in later times they get hard to play.
Be careful and try to avoid that your cities become unhealty (stop growing by hand)! Leprosy was a very common problem in ancient times...

Okay, that all makes sense. They do definitely get strong, I was marching all over the Macedonians when Brennus DoWed me and shoved a hundred units under my nose. Too bad the plague in the city didn't have any impact on the guys laying siege to it. ;)

@Kein: I tried to get a city up near that pass on my second and third games but Brennus just loves to beat me to it. Then the filthy goat-buggerer goes on to settle France. In my first game the city city he dropped there became his capital and the home of a religion. That was pretty annoying.

wow! i'm playing now and this game is chock full of awesomeness! probably some more balancing tweaks needed and i bet you could expand the tech tree more in the early stages to beef things up.

i like how it takes some time to have the ability to get a second city. you can really focus on the first city.

are brennus and boudica co-located,i.e., only one or the other? who is on the british isles?

thanks! More tech features in early times :eek:? Can't do that, from 4000 to 600 BC you have to let time lapse away... there hadn't been so many inventions at all. But because of that, turns last 10 years.

brennus and boudica are co-located. romans defeated the gauls but not the celts... although the gauls are celts :) :crazyeye: ... there have been lots of celtic tribes... so in this mod you will find two celtic CIVs and also two germanic CIVs. england is not occupied by the celts 4000BC. only a barbarian tribe you'll find there. My intentions is, that the celts will settle down in england before the romans do.... but thats different from game to game... and thats the big advantage of CIV... always different.:goodjob:

have you or will you consider adding the BUG mod?

also, and I apologize if I have somehow overlooked this, but a description here of the maps and scenarios would be nice...thanks

again, what "speed" is ideal for the game
oh I forgot:

Bug: no :(
maps: europe only
scenarios: only 4000BC at the moment, you'll see the CIVs by choosing a scen
and this mod has a teaching factor. e.g. you will learn where the celts spread in history ;)
epic speed is perfect.

oh I forgot:

Bug: no :(
maps: europe only
scenarios: only 4000BC at the moment, you'll see the CIVs by choosing a scen
and this mod has a teaching factor. e.g. you will learn where the celts spread in history ;)
epic speed is perfect.

Tooo bad about bug....I just abhor the vanilla interface.

Yep, Gauls were Celts. Was a bit thrown off by Boudica's locate - history wise - but it does make sense in terms of ancient Celtic migration from the east. Actually, that is kind of cool that Britain needs to be settled/conquered. I've actually been trying to settle to the west to get a coastal city to launch my conquest of Britain. Alex just declared on me.

The swamps are kind of interesting. I think there's a bit too much of it. But anyway, I have a question about the health issue. I understand a turn on a swamp tile decreases health. I try to avoid it. I was moving a stack of units (less than 5) and noticed a slight decrease in health. However, I did not actually cross a swamp tile - only adjacent. What causes this health hit? The only thing I can think of in terms of that movement is that I cross a river.

if you found some cities too early, always remember they cost lots of money!!! especially when they're far away. be careful about that and only found a new one, when you're rich enough.

swamps become dry around a city when you build a sanitation (Tech Construction, I think) ;)
I don't have a clue why they get hurt... not because crossing a river, that's fix.

do stacks lose some health outside borders regardless of being less the 5 units. I mean I have a stack of 3 that's losing .1 health per each movement. I need to build a druid i guess.

Yeah, money was an issue. I played with the slider a lot and built research to make up. I now have the palace which helps tremendously. 3 cities and no problems.

Also, I popped a lot of techs in huts - maybe too many.

Oh regarding more techs, I really meant in general but said early as I didn't mean extending into the future.

Slaves are pretty much useless for improvements. I kept losing them before they could improve anything.

hm, it's only when 5 units occupies a plot. so if you have 3 units standing and move with 2 others on this plot, they lose health. and then only in neutral or foreign plots. a druide helps ;)

Slaves are pretty much useless for improvements. I kept losing them before they could improve anything.
oh, should I set the chance of dying slaves a bit lower? it's only 5% per round now. so every 20 turns! too heavy?

Hello !

Awesome mod !!

I downloaded it 3 days ago and I cant stop playing.

But your mod still has some problems:

1. The map is good around the mediteranean but it needs some work in places... balkans/charpatian mountains are very strange, the Danube river is messed up, the Caspian sea is huge... try shearching for other european civ maps and please repair your map... because your mod... like I said.. :goodjob:
(oh.. I play the large map.. I haven't seen the others)

2. more/other civs: boudica and other barbarian/nomad civs are not so important, replace them with dacian/getai under decebal or burebista, and maybe pontus and some if you whis to keep boudica put her in brittain (brittain needs a civ)

3. (suggestion) I see you have all speeds (epic, marathon) set up the same. I undersand your reasons ;). But you can change the speeds and their name to make the tech race and the passing of turns more constant. For example I change thje research value at marathon to 150 (meaning I everybody need to spend +50% for a specific tech) to balance the fact that I play immortal/deity. I don't like to get 200AD techs before 300BC ;)

4. Brennus is too strong.

5. (another suggestion) change the AI difficulty. You can put some civilizations from the map file on settler/warlord difficulty to make them more powerfull. The bonus will apply only for AI, when a player will choose that specific civilization the bonus will not apply (it will only change the default dificulty on the choose dificulty screen). I for example have made rome, persia, greece, egypt, chartage stronger because i dont like to play some remote civ and then discover that celts and germas are some great empires and rome has some puny 2 cities in italy.

I think that's it... sooo... :worship: please make the first 2 changes because 3,4,5 I can change for myself :D

Top Bottom