Pitboss Autosave option?

LordRahl

The Objectivist
Is there a pitboss autosave option? My server rebooted on it's own, and I was lucky I have the game saved on my client, and was able to reload it, but it's certainly not the way to do it. Is there a setting for pitboss to autosave the game after each turn? I could certainly write a little application to do it - but I'm sure there must be some real solution? Thanks.

HAK is right. The saves can be pretty far buried, but they all are called something like FosseRecovery. Search your Civ folders (all of them) for "recovery" and you'll find the directory with the saves.

Yep, they're probably in this folder by default:

C:\Documents and Settings\<yourloginnamehere>\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Saves\multi\auto

Yeah, I did find those - the only problem is, it seems they only save complete turns - i.e. after all the players have moved. So if you've made your move, but some of your opponents haven't, you'll have to repeat it if the server crashes. Normally it wouldn't be too bad, but sometimes it may mean a delay of 24 hours... That's why I pretty much started manually saving the game after every single turn I finish.

But the saves he is pointing you to save every time somebody presses a Red Button to end their turn.

Fosse said:
But the saves he is pointing you to save every time somebody presses a Red Button to end their turn.

They don't - at least not in my case. I'm hosting a pitboss game, with simultaneous turns - this way everybody gets two turns at a time, but the second turn doesn't get automatically saved...

You lost me, LordRahl. My two pitboss games are simul turns, too. For one player every turn, their own turn will initiate the next overall turn. That player will then presumably play their own next turn, and then everyone else will log in. I thought that the recovery saves are after every player finishes their turn, so at worst you'll have a one-player one-turn gap, right?

Correct IglooDude. The worst case is you lose that next turn - which like I said can be a pain.

Top Bottom