Planetfall

Fair enough, Maniac. I won't bring this up again. I shall weigh all that I have now read.

I wanted to chime in and tell you, Maniac, how excellent the mod is. I've always wanted a SMAC sequel myself. I am SO glad you are making this. I own SMAC and SMACX (in addition to all the Civ games).

You are truly doing it justice - and it even looks Better in the Civ4 engine!

Cheers mate!

Patch 11j for Planetfall, the Alpha Centauri total conversion mod for Civ4 BtS, has been released. This patch needs to be applied on top of the main v11 file of Planetfall. It breaks savegames from previous versions or patches.

Changelog:

1. New terrain, Jungle feature and Fungicide resource graphics by Lord Tirian.
2. Included the SHAM modcomp by DaveMcW.
3. Updated to Better AI 81g.
4. German translation updated by Lord Tirian.
5. The Spartans gain +100% Great General birth.
6. Infantry can pick the AAA Tracking special ability.
7. The Nerve Staplers special ability now requires Retroviral Engineering instead of MMI.
8. Guerilla III now gives a 15% bonus on and vs. Rocky terrain.
9. The Walker unit starts with Guerilla II and III.
10. The Cyborg unit now has strength 9.
11. The Acolyte unit now starts with the Walk with Planet promotion.

A great game :goodjob:! Thank you very very much Maniac :crazyeye:!

But for great strategy games one have to know some rules:
:confused: I do not know exactly how trade works :shifty:, I have some theories but I am not sure, because sometimes my cities have trade routes, sometimes not.
It does not seem to be necessary that all cities are built at the same river, is it enough when they have ANY river in their cross? Or does it even work when they are connected via "culture"?

Experiences with difficulty/strategy:
The game does not appaer to be as difficult as Civ, when I play as emperor war is a good option to be very successful, many Opponents defend their cities with Standard Troopers against Tanks :ar15:.

I think that some of secret projects/wonders of the kind "Unity..." are perhaps a little bit to powerful: When you do not find a perfect starting site (+ Food, 3 or more, + Production, 3 or more) an opponenent who succeeds in building mining laser or that one where you get +2 population is getting very powerful, because of that very early enhancement.
I made the experience that when I have a good starting positon, it was very easy for me to build both, for the rest of the game I had double the points of the next powerful KI, so I could very fast devolop strong weapons and the game was in effect won :king:.
So with these early powerful projects the strong gets stronger and the weak get weaker...
I do not feel the same costs for me to build them as for Wonders in Civ, perhaps they are a little bit to cheap to build for that what you gain as advantage.

So I wonder if I should have a try with higher difficulty level or start a race for them in Mulitplayer... :scan:
When I turned off the "goody capsules" the game was a bit more difficult because the KI could profitate stronger from their bonuses and I had to build more units/formers instead of finding them.

But makes a lot of fun!, great that it is back :religion: , Alpha Centauri and Master of Magic were always my favorite Strategy games.

Thank you very much, kind regards from Cologne,

Limboldt

I want to second Supreme Shogun, Maniac et al., and add that the depth of gameplay and "eye candy" just gets better and better! :)

Live long and prosper.

:confused: I do not know exactly how trade works :shifty:, I have some theories but I am not sure, because sometimes my cities have trade routes, sometimes not. It does not seem to be necessary that all cities are built at the same river, is it enough when they have ANY river in their cross? Or does it even work when they are connected via "culture"?

For land routes, culturally connected is enough in PF, as there are no roads.
For routes over sea it depends on certain techs: Doctrine Flexibility (to allow trade over coastal Terrain) and Pressure Dome (over Shelf and Ocean terrain)

I am not asking for it, I repeat I am not asking for it, but I am just saying that I did like the monorails built being shown in SMAC! However, the roads in SMAC looked like the dirt roads that neolithic people could probably build!

Incidentally, further to my previous thread, I do especially like the improvement in the look of the "Invitro" troops over the past few mods! Also, the Planetfall cityscapes just get richer and richer. They were pretty crude in SMAC.

Live long and prosper.

For land routes, culturally connected is enough in PF, as there are no roads.

Thany you.
Does this also work with opponents with "open border" when you "touch" their culture?
When my cities are not connected via culture, then they have to be connected by the same river or by sea? (when I want to connect two "provinces") ?

Thany you. Does this also work with opponents with "open border" when you "touch" their culture?

For foreign trade I think your capital has to be in touch with their capital (though it is not required to have discovered it) - so bordering them is enough, if you border the part where they have there capital with your main land. Bordering a single, isolated opponent city will not lead to trade routes when having an OB (just check, if the three-arrow-symbol after their name appears, then you should get trade routes)

When my cities are not connected via culture, then they have to be connected by the same river or by sea? (when I want to connect two "provinces") ?

Connection by terrain of factions you have an OB with should also do, but apart from that rivers, a seatrade route or (later) a magtube trail are the only options. River connection requires Centauri Hydrology (gives a nice movement bonus along rivers as well). Also it is important to keep in mind that the "natural" passive religion spread in PF only happens along trade routes.

Just a recommendation, if I have this right...

I notice that when I build an infirmary and then a research hospital there appear to be two different buildings, one with a bigger red cross - obviously the research hospital is the one with the bigger red cross. Just to save space in what can become an increasingly cramped cityscape, how about just upgrading the small red cross to a bigger one on the building already there?

Live long and prosper.

:scan: perhaps a little bug:
Governor in Town does not change to improved farms automatic

The farm improvement likewise to the cottages in Civ:ingenious !! :) Grow and stay happy...

It will be nice if my units can stop making forts all the time... It be nice if my workers could start building my trees and hybrid forest when I am hybrid, and Farms and Condenser when I am a terraformer.

Just a recommendation, if I have this right...

I notice that when I build an infirmary and then a research hospital there appear to be two different buildings, one with a bigger red cross - obviously the research hospital is the one with the bigger red cross. Just to save space in what can become an increasingly cramped cityscape, how about just upgrading the small red cross to a bigger one on the building already there?

Live long and prosper.

If that is technically possible (don't know, because the Infirmary isn't replaced by the Research hospital and I'm not sure, if it can create a problem to take away the graphic from a still existing building in certain cities, while leaving it in others), I like the idea.

limboldt said:
Governor in Town does not change to improved farms automatic

You mean that he does not always switch over to the most developed farm improvement, instead working a low level one? Might be intended (e.g. costs less turns to get from level to 2 than from 2 to 3) or a special situation or suboptimal governor behaviour. For governor issues, it is always helpful, if you have a save of that - otherwise it is impossible to tell what is going on there. Just too many things influence the decisions.

darkdone02 said:
It will be nice if my units can stop making forts all the time... It be nice if my workers could start building my trees and hybrid forest when I am hybrid, and Farms and Condenser when I am a terraformer.

Have you noticed the new option (option menu), where you can prevent your formers from auto-building bunkers? For the rest I have zero experience, since I don't use automation. From examing AI faction territory, I know that they have farms and forest (the latter often coming in large patches, if they decide to go for it). I'm not sure about condensers.
Generally automation logic improvement have rather low priority. They are work-consuming in terms of coding, while many players don't use them (at least that's my impression, but I might be wrong - maybe apoll should be done to see, if that is different for the PF mod) It is very hard to code to figure high-level planning decisions into former logic (though here it might be different - at least that improvement of the AI, to follow certain strategies with their terraforming, could be perhaps copied over), so the best advice is still to leave automation here aside (or to use it with "don't change existing improvements" and correct its errors manually).

You mean that he does not always switch over to the most developed farm improvement, instead working a low level one?

Yes, I thought (like in Civ) he will always try to maximize growth, if possbile and other conditions are given (Happiness etc.).
I was not sure if he "knows" that there is a difference between the farms.
Will watch this and see if I have a save... :scan:

edit: ah, ok, when I set the priority to growth he changes to the more powerful one

Does anyone know what I need to build native units :rudolf:?
I have the knowledge but something seems to be missing...special building or form of government perhaps?

Or do I need a better value for the attitude regarding the planet?

Does anyone know what I need to build native units :rudolf:?
I have the knowledge but something seems to be missing...special building or form of government perhaps?

Or do I need a better value for the attitude regarding the planet?

The second requirement is enough "PSI potential" - it is the accumulated Planet Attitude (= the individual figure which is displayed in every base right to happiness/health, it is the difference of the positive and negative factors) of all bases over all turns. For each +100 of PSI potential you can support one native unit. If you have exceeded the limit, no more units can be built.
This applies BTW also for captured native life, it counts against the same limit and you cannot capture, if you don't have at least +100 PSI potential "free". Also, each native unit you currently control, will reduce the PSI potential by one per turn (as compensation for those units not costing gold to maintain)

Thank you again :hatsoff:, my Morgan seems not to be the right one to build these units, very bad attitude... :cowboy: ;)

After long (and very entertaining) and intensive testing I have to say:
What a great and complex game! I hope some Gamer Magazines will test it, after years the first big strategy game for PC :clap:

My only serious point of criticism would be:
In all games the green Deidre KI had big problems to survive the game.
She played very authentic regarding prefered techologies, religion and forms of government, but she never was compared to the others mighty or successful.
When I did not declare war to her because she was so weak, the others did. Everybody had at least units with strength 4 and she did still defend with Units of strength 2.
Ok, she had more Psi-Worms, but this did not really help her...

Perhaps her advantages can not be used effective by the KI, or the game does not reward the way she plays adaquately...;)
Perhaps I have to play Single-Player without her, protect her from a rough and violent world ;)

My only serious point of criticism would be:
In all games the green Deidre KI had big problems to survive the game.
She played very authentic regarding prefered techologies, religion and forms of government, but she never was compared to the others mighty or successful.
When I did not declare war to her because she was so weak, the others did. Everybody had at least units with strength 4 and she did still defend with Units of strength 2.
Ok, she had more Psi-Worms, but this did not really help her...

Perhaps her advantages can not be used effective by the KI, or the game does not reward the way she plays adaquately...;)
Perhaps I have to play Single-Player without her, protect her from a rough and violent world ;)

Yes, I have made a similar observation in the majority of games (though occasionally she manges to growth big and crushes someone with tons of mindworms - in my game under patch g) she was the 3rd top dog beside Yang and me and a late attack of her on me resulted in a stalemate) - I think the problem is that the AI now has a working green economy startegy (Planet values between 8 and 10 are not uncommon), but still fails most of the time to transform it into an advantage on the battlefield. I'm not sure if the AI values the power of PSI units correctly (they likely take combat odds in account, but do they accurately influence the powergraph as well? That would be important to make them strike early enough, when the Terraformers haven't developed the PSI countermeasures to the full extend) and for sure, they have trouble to use the 3:2 rule for PSI land battles to their advantage. The AI will just head with the units forward, while the human player will wait if it is necessary to get the initiative.

Top Bottom