Play the World first Screenshots!

So that's it huh? All eight new Civs. Korean, Mongolian, Spanish, Viking, Carthaginian, Gallic, Ottoman and Arabian. Cool :D

I don't actually particularly care so much of details anyhow, but it's interesting to discuss them all the same :) I'm sure I'll love whatever the expansion turns out to be.

Now, how can we convince them to do SMAC2 with it's rules updated by those of Civ3. Now *that* would be cool. Especially if it was designed to merge with Civ3 somehow - to extend it into the far future. Either on Planet or Earth maps. Hmm I should work in the games industry, hang on a sec.. I do! ;)

Doh! I forgot Carthage! Yep, that's 8.

As for Gaul=Norse, nope, we've seen screenshots of both Civs with different city names.

The Arab civ... I think the leader should be Saladin, who retook Jerusalem. A better choice than turks (and Atatürk, I assume). Arab armies were mainly known for their fast riders - maybe the UU could be Bedouin's: horsemen with one extra movement point.

I'd also like to see more abilities, like the mentioned Seafaring. It could give access to sea squares earlier and faster ships throughout - or maybe capture enemy ships like in SMAC.

I wonder how Firaxis will work the new Civs into the Culture groups. I guess they will all enter one existing group, so we get four Civs with the same culture instead of three like it is now. Would be better with new groups, though.

Originally posted by kring
In addition to the new civilizations and gameplay features, Play the World will include new unit sets for use in the editor. The new sets include a medieval Japan set and a World War II set, and they will feature 17 units each.

Is the only evidence of a Korean civ the presence of the Hwacha? Perhaps this is just one of the 17 units in the medieval Japan set and not an indicator of a new civ.

Originally posted by Thunderfall
I still don't know why Firaxis chose not to use Cunobelin as Celts' leader. Why change little things like leader names?

Or for that matter change from Cunobelin of the Celts to Brennus of the Gauls. I suspect civ players are far more comfortable with the Celts, ChrTh's fine explanation not withstanding.

I am appalled, I mean a own civ for the gallic, they were never a great civilization, they are just a part of todays France. And since France is already in the game, Galls should not be included as well. That is like including the Vikings AND the Norwegians(although I would not argue with that, lol)

As for the Arab civ, they should definately be militiristic and expansionist. But I thought including an arab civ was out of the question because according to the Koran, it is wrong to portrait the "imagery" of Muhammed, and he would have to be the leader, arab=muslim and Muhammed=the start of islam. Why is it so that it is wrong to portrait his image anyway, was he really bad looking? Ok I take that back, don`t want to create an angry discussion.

But are we sure that the Gauls and arabs are in the pack, is it certain?

Would be eaiser to think of all the civs that aren't going to be in it instead of figuring the civs that will be in the xp.

Well we know Canada isn't going to be in it, what's our UU going to be? A beer drinking lumberjack?

Originally posted by Esckey
Would be eaiser to think of all the civs that aren't going to be in it instead of figuring the civs that will be in the xp.

Well we know Canada isn't going to be in it, what's our UU going to be? A beer drinking lumberjack?

How about a crazed brutal hockey dad?

Actually, it could be the metis. These were a large number of people in western Canada, part French and part Native American, who participated in a couple of revolts against Ottawa in the 1870's. They could be a inexpensive, mobile, militia unit.

Originally posted by D.Shaffer
Tell me, how much do you really learn about the history and culture of the Aztec empire in school? What about the Iriquois? Or the Zulu? Can you give a quick summary of the high and low points of their history as well as 5 culturally distinct traits that are unique to that culture? What about the Persian empire, Babylon, or China? How much did you REALLY learn about them in school other then that they existed?
Aztecs, Iroquis (representing native Americans), Persia, Babylon and China were all represented in our school system. At least 15 years ago, now they teach nothing except how to find information on your own on the internet :)
I can't say what I learned in school and what I have picked up through media, but my point is that those cultures are "common knowledge" in a much wider sense than Korea. Don't expect me to remember details that one forgets 2 days after the test anyway :)

Zulu on the other hand is more comparable to Korea. But the reason that I don't pick on them is because there are no better cultures to choose in almost all of Africa. Geographic (and cultural) spread justifies their existence in the game.
Define large. Say, the entire Peninsula large? It depends on the time period. If you count it's three kingdom days and consider all three kingdoms as 'Korean', then it was decent sized.
Large means large enough to amaze historians. The Mongols, for instance, are famous mostly because of the size of their territory. If they never were bigger than today's Mongolia they would probably have been about as famous as Korea. It is difficult to mention a specific size, but in Koreas case it should probably be something like half of China, Mongolia and a big chunk of Russia...

Why is there no grouping action for workers. Like if you could group together 10 workers for cleaning pollution in the mountains
and a group of say 3 for building mines etc... This would save a lot of time dealing with the workers.

The Berserk looks cool! And what a huge Axe!!!!:)

I am gonna burn in hell for this, but I couldn't help myself laughing at Homie's message "Why is it so that it is wrong to portrait his image anyway, was he really bad looking?"

I am Muslim and I don't know why exactly, but Muslims believe the same not just for Muhammad but all the prophets I think, Jesus and Moses included. Anyone know the reason why this is so? I know the Japanese use have a belief that a photo taken of them some way captured their soul....

anyway happy with the new Civs except I dont care for the Carthaginians, they are originaly from Lebanon, I think the Minoans (could be wrong been a while since I read about it)..
and as for the Gallic this is the first time I have ever heard of them, who are they?

Too bad the Mayans or Jews/Israel wasn't included.

Originally posted by Homie
As for the Arab civ, they should definately be militiristic and expansionist. But I thought including an arab civ was out of the question because according to the Koran, it is wrong to portrait the "imagery" of Muhammed, and he would have to be the leader, arab=muslim and Muhammed=the start of islam. Why is it so that it is wrong to portrait his image anyway, was he really bad looking? Ok I take that back, don`t want to create an angry discussion.

But are we sure that the Gauls and arabs are in the pack, is it certain?

It is certain that Arabs are in, still not quite certain that Gauls rather than Celts are in. I would prefer to have Celts!

As for Arabs, I think they should definitely be religious (come on, they conquered all of middle east and n. africa for the sake of islam), and probably militaristic.

Originally posted by Homie
Why is there no grouping action for workers. Like if you could group together 10 workers for cleaning pollution in the mountains
and a group of say 3 for building mines etc... This would save a lot of time dealing with the workers.

You can use the stack movement command to move them around, but you have to command each one separately to perform a task. You can have as many workers as you want on a task. For instance, if you have enough workers together, you can clear, road, railroad, and mine a jungle square all in one turn. Nice.

Originally posted by teturkhan
I am Muslim and I don't know why exactly, but Muslims believe the same not just for Muhammad but all the prophets I think, Jesus and Moses included. Anyone know the reason why this is so?

It's called Idolatry. Some Eastern Orthodox Christian sects and some fundamentalist Christian denominations believe the same way. It goes back to Old Testament teachings forbidding the worship of "graven images." These groups believe that by representing images of God, Jesus, the saints, the prophets, etc, people will pray to the images, rather than to God, etc, thereby violating the will of God.

Top Bottom