Please help - I don't get this

Walter R

Great Engineer
It's a question relating to enemy air units:

I have a fleet of battleships, destroyers and an aircraft carrier attacking Antioch. The first turn I move into her waters and bombard the city, then move back out 2 tiles. I have killed the two units that would have given her sight of my ships, but I get attacked by a bomber and two fighters. This happens again the next turn. Then I capture the city with a destroyer. She has no line of sight but 6 bombers then sink a battleship. I have subs on the flanks so I can state that she had no subs or whatever that could have provided line of sight.

I really don't get this. Each turn my ships have moved after firing and there are no units or cities that can see my fleet. Is this a bug or am I just being stupid?

Fighters have a special promotion that allows them to see a certain ammount of hexs in all directions. This is most likely why they had "no" units to see your ships, but could still attack.

Yep, iirc, it's 6 tiles in all directions. But i am not sure if it's only jet fighters, or also "WW2-like" ones as well.

Other possibilities include
- Great Lighthouse (+1 sight to naval units) - do they have it?
- Exploration (social policy tree) opener (+1 sight to naval units) - fo they have it? (you can check it in diplomacy -> "world politics" tab, not sure if i remember tab's name precisely though)
- Satellites technology. If they have it, they see everything on the map.

Also, i am not sure how it works, but in principle, could they be using some naval unit who gets clsoe enough to see your battleship - but spends just about 1/2 of its movement point doing so, - and then, their bombers fly in and sink your BS, and then that navak unit moves out of your sight with the 2nd half of its movement points? I doubt an AI could be that "smart", but perhaps it does it sometimes - occasionally? Dunno.

Another note: bring in missile cruisers if you can. IIRC, they can automatically intercept attacking fighters. They also see subs. If you can't build them yet, then may be try to have your fleet close to some coast, with a few SAM units on the coast itself - may be you could screen your fleet from their fighters/bombers this way, at least somewhat.

.. .with a few SAM units on the coast itself - may be you could screen your fleet from their fighters/bombers this way, at least somewhat.

That's exactly what I did - and end of rogue bombing runs. Went on to win Dom victory once I got nukes. Still not convinced Theodora had any legitimate line of sight though.

Yep, iirc, it's 6 tiles in all directions. But i am not sure if it's only jet fighters, or also "WW2-like" ones as well.

Other possibilities include
- Great Lighthouse (+1 sight to naval units) - do they have it?
- Exploration (social policy tree) opener (+1 sight to naval units) - fo they have it? (you can check it in diplomacy -> "world politics" tab, not sure if i remember tab's name precisely though)
- Satellites technology. If they have it, they see everything on the map.

Also, i am not sure how it works, but in principle, could they be using some naval unit who gets clsoe enough to see your battleship - but spends just about 1/2 of its movement point doing so, - and then, their bombers fly in and sink your BS, and then that navak unit moves out of your sight with the 2nd half of its movement points? I doubt an AI could be that "smart", but perhaps it does it sometimes - occasionally? Dunno.

Another note: bring in missile cruisers if you can. IIRC, they can automatically intercept attacking fighters. They also see subs. If you can't build them yet, then may be try to have your fleet close to some coast, with a few SAM units on the coast itself - may be you could screen your fleet from their fighters/bombers this way, at least somewhat.

Last time I checked, Satelittes don't actualy unfog the whole map, just the tiles, so you don't see what's going on everywhere.

That's exactly what I did - and end of rogue bombing runs. Went on to win Dom victory once I got nukes. Still not convinced Theodora had any legitimate line of sight though.
I think this is a bug. I once sailed passed an enemy sub(with a sub) and the icon stayed when I move the sub out of range(the icon was greyed). I could still target that enemy sub with my bombers, however.

I had something similar happen to me as well where my ships of the line were constantly bombarded by GWBs. I didn't pay that much attention to it though, maybe the AI did have the line of sight from a unit.

I don't think the AI follow the same visiblity rules as human players.

Take City State allegiance. When you're allied you are premitted to see the City State's (say Lhasa) field of view which I think extends to as if they were human. However, this also means that if an unmet player walks into Lhasa's FoV then you automatically meet them because you "see" them.

However, IF Lhasa is allied to say unmet player, and you walk into Lhasa's supposed FoV, you do not meet the ally of LHasa at all.

Top Bottom