Please help me understand promotions?

Athenaeum

Prince
In the civilopedia, when it says things like "Interception 100" or "Evasion 50", what exactly does these mean?

Interception is an Anti-air/Fighter promotion, which means it's better at intercepting air units. Evasion is the opposite, a promotion for bombers so they can evade anti-air/fighters trying to intercept them. Evasion 100 is practically full evasion which Stealth Bombers always have, and thus cannot be intercepted or countered through normal means (you have to take the city or carrier down or nuke them).

That's cool. I understand what the general actions of interception and invasion are. I guess my question was what the number was about.

I was unsure how interception damage is calculated, for example. I figured that when a fighter intercepts a bomber, damage is calculated according to their respective combat strengths, like usual.

But if a unit has interception 100, I assumed that meant that the damage they inflected through interception was doubled (+100%).

My main issue was understanding what the numbers meant.

I would really do a lot better to learn more about how air combat works, it's pretty bad the level of knowledge I have at this point.

That's cool. I understand what the general actions of interception and invasion are. I guess my question was what the number was about.

I was unsure how interception damage is calculated, for example. I figured that when a fighter intercepts a bomber, damage is calculated according to their respective combat strengths, like usual.

But if a unit has interception 100, I assumed that meant that the damage they inflected through interception was doubled (+100%).

My main issue was understanding what the numbers meant.

I would really do a lot better to learn more about how air combat works, it's pretty bad the level of knowledge I have at this point.

All I know is that interception promotions in fighters increases interception and makes intercepting better.

I have a question about Air Sweeping, if someone can answer it.

Let's say there are several units set to intercept a certain tile. If you air sweep that tile with 1 fighter, does it disable all the intercepting units or just one of them? I figure it would be just 1 of them since only one unit can intercept at a time, but just making sure.

Also the Mobile SAM comes with an interception bonus and a combat bonus against air units. When it intercepts, do these two bonuses stack together, and if so, is it additively or multiplicatively?

Just asking in case anybody knows.

Interception is an Anti-air/Fighter promotion, which means it's better at intercepting air units. Evasion is the opposite, a promotion for bombers so they can evade anti-air/fighters trying to intercept them. Evasion 100 is practically full evasion which Stealth Bombers always have, and thus cannot be intercepted or countered through normal means (you have to take the city or carrier down or nuke them).

The thing I'm wondering about the Evasion promotion, does the "100" mean that damage is reduced by 100%, or the chances of being intercepted is reduced by 100%?

Of course for Evasion 100, it wouldn't matter either way, because you have full immunity to interception regardless.

But for the American B-17 which has Evasion 50, I was wondering if this meant that their chances of being intercepted were reduced 50%, or the damage taken from interception was reduced by 50%.

If it is like it was in Civ4, then those numbers (50%, 100%, etc.) represent chances of interception or avoidance, not strength multipliers or damage potential.

For a deep delve into evasion and interception, see this recent thread on air combat. The short of it is that this aspect of the game is not polished.

The thing I'm wondering about the Evasion promotion, does the "100" mean that damage is reduced by 100%, or the chances of being intercepted is reduced by 100%?

Neither. It means that, if intercepted, the unit has 100% chance of the interception damage being reduced (by half, I think).

Of course for Evasion 100, it wouldn't matter either way, because you have full immunity to interception regardless.

That is not correct (but only because the tool-tip text is poorly phrased).

But for the American B-17 which has Evasion 50, I was wondering if this meant that their chances of being intercepted were reduced 50%, or the damage taken from interception was reduced by 50%.

Is the B-17 Evasion 50 anything different than a regular Bomber getting the Evasion promotion? In any case, Evasion 50 means that the Bomber has a 50% chance of damage taken from interception being reduced. I am not certain how much is the damage reduction, but 50% is about right.

Note that the Evasion promotion does nothing for Stealth Bombers (since they already get Evasion 100).

Atomic Bombs have Evasion 50 -- but that does not matter since interceptions do not destroy them.

Missiles (both Nuclear and regular) have Evasion 100 -- but again that buff never makes a difference.

How would evasion work on a bombs then if there isn't anything to intercept them. Only thing that could be done about a bombs are bomb shelters because there's no sdi here like there used to be in civilization 4.

Top Bottom