Polish Cavalry: Need some help

Your Polish Infantryman is excellent, as all your unit are. One little thing.."Adrian" type French helmet was in use indeed, but only by cavaly and National Reserve Guard Troops. Regular infantry had helmets M1931, which you can see here: http://www.muzeumkielce.net/wystawy/archiwum/1999/w1939/w1939.html
But it's OK - if you just redone helmet, we can have TWO different Polish infantrymen very easy. Or three:) - here is Polish infantryman with Browning BAR machine gun (and he wears M1931 helmet).

Okay, that helmet would not be a problem as I already have it.

Those pictures look like they could be BAR's.

What about the colors I chose for the two men, are they good? I personally would want to keep the high boots for the infantryman.

Wyrmshadow said:
Those pictures look like they could be BAR's.
They ARE BAR's:) Poland bought a license from Belgique Fabrique Nationale, who distribued Browning's arms in Europe from 1920) ,and modernised BAR to shoot 7,92 mm Mauser ammo

These look great, you should start creating land units. Perhaps you could do the Australia Lighthorse? They were ANZAC's cavalry force in WWI and were deployed in North Africa and the Middle East.

I don't know if you've seen Gallipoli (1984) with Mel Gibson, if you have than you'd definantly have a good idea on what the unit looks like.

What units to you plan on creating?

I have yet to even attempt a Cav or infantry unit and already you're asking for more. No.

Looks good wyrmshadow, but by way of some constructive criticism, not wanting to be picky, but I think you have the saddle (and rider) too far back, need to push it a bit further forward on the horses back towards the front shoulders. In general you'll find the leading edge of the saddle will start over the whither of the horse, which is usually in direct line with the front shoulder, and also generally where the mane starts on the horses neck.

You can see this in the pictures that you have posted too.

I hope this doesn't sound like a trivial thing, but there are reasons for it, one the natural shape of a horse tends to make the saddle ride forward anyhow, and two the horse is better able to support the weight of the rider when balanced as far forward on their spine as possible, so that the weight even is pushed onto the front shoulders instead of swinging on the spine alone.

Seriously though its looking pretty good. We sure need more cavalry units and its looking like yours will be a great addition. :)

Mobilize said:
Alrightey. I thought you had attempted those..

Ya know, screw it. Since nobody will make this unit I'll just get a cavalry unit, make it brown, and put a feather on it.
Thats the attitude. Have a go, you've nothing to lose! ;)

Hmm. There already is the brown cavalry unit with the right kind of hat in the unit library.. the feather would just make it an officer.. I might not even have to work on such a unit because most of it is already made.

I'll look into changing the rider/saddle position. The horse and saddle/bridle came as different models so I had to change the relative sizes of both just to make them fit, without having the horse poke out of the saddle.

You wouldn't need to move it much :goodjob:

You've done well to get it all to scale with so many different sources for bits and pieces.

stupid damn cheap damn waste of damn time damn damn damn modeling obcession damn time damn damn.

Okay the design is basically finished, but if any resident experts know of the real proper colors should be, please speak now or forever hold your peace.

The animation looks good, only thing I see missing is the blowing of the little flag in the wind or because of movement. But that's nothing really..this unit is good.

:goodjob:

Can't wait for the infantry.. if you plan on doing it.

Mobilize said:
The animation looks good, only thing I see missing is the blowing of the little flag in the wind or because of movement. But that's nothing really..this unit is good.

:goodjob:

Can't wait for the infantry.. if you plan on doing it.
I have no way of telling one object to act like cloth, rubber or steel. I also have no way to simulate wind or make something move in a realistic, living manner. I have to manipulate EVERYTHING for each frame myself. Imagine clay animation, but on a computer.

Keep that in mind the next time you want to suggest something about how to improvethe animation.

Yes a pennant should flap in the breeze, but I've no way to make a flat triangle suddenly fold and sway like a flag. That is the limitation of my program.

thats a fairly realistic run for the horse, and when considering your previous post and the way you animate, very impressive.

Maybe instead of the flag waving in the wind you could move it back and forth or up and down just a little... Just so it shows some movement.

The run looks good though. I'll send that rifle prop along tonight... 3DS format ok?

Kinboat said:
Maybe instead of the flag waving in the wind you could move it back and forth or up and down just a little... Just so it shows some movement.
Or maybe just fold the pennant on the middle, so it is something more than just a simple flat triangle. :)

It's looking nice, Wyrm! I wish I could model like you one day. :goodjob:

Straczynski said:
Or maybe just fold the pennant on the middle, so it is something more than just a simple flat triangle. :)

It's looking nice, Wyrm! I wish I could model like you one day. :goodjob:
I made the pennant pivot back and forth on the lance. So it's a reasonable fascimile of wind blowing.

Read the 1st post. I did NOT model anything in here. These were all models I found, and used pieces to put together. Whenever I make something myself, like the Kaga, I always say so. Otherwise just assume the models are not mine.

If you want to be accurate, say you'd like to animate like me. Kinboat makes his own stuff and he can animate extremely well.

Top Bottom