[LP] Poll: Buff Zombies?

Should Zombies Be Re-Buffed?

• Buff (i.e. make zombies stronger again)

• No (leave zombies nerfed as is)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Zombie nerf is orthogonal to OP Qin.

They are separate things.
Okay sorry I thought that’s what you meant.

Can you clarify the exact nature of the nerf then? Like I said the mode hasn’t been updated since before Leader Pass. What am I missing?

Interesting, I haven't played Zombie mode for a long time, but this got me thinking, could this be a side effect of reigning in the AI science bias? Before, for more than a year, AI was overfocused on science production, so they made less troops in general, and those limited troops may have been eaten by zombies easier, making more zombies, and AI had to replace them by another limited batch that got eaten as well and so on, making the process escalate quicker and mutation strength rise fairly quickly. Now, if AI's troop count is better, maybe they no longer lose so many units to zombies, so there are less zombies, they're weaker and outbreaks are easier to control, which also puts further speed bumps on the mutation strength rise? Just a theoretical thought.
That makes sense. I haven't tried the game mode since it came out because it was silly - the strength and numbers just escalated so fast it was ridiculous. Still, what you're saying makes sense...whether it's actually what's happening is another question.

Okay sorry I thought that’s what you meant.

Can you clarify the exact nature of the nerf then? Like I said the mode hasn’t been updated since before Leader Pass. What am I missing?
I have updated the OP.

Basically Mutation Strength has been nerfed. It's been scaled back.

I don't think this is true...I just loaded up and tested a game. It increased by +1 the next turn every time I killed 1 Zombie. And the civilopedia text for the Zombie unit still says it goes up by +1 every time a Zombie is defeated.

Nope. Continue playing. Kill a couple more and check the Mutation Strength.

But, you're right Civilopedia hasn't been updated.
In fact, you may also be right about the XML (data) not being changed. These are in the DLLs or whatever.

Nope. Continue playing. Kill a couple more and check the Mutation Strength.

But, you're right Civilopedia hasn't been updated.
In fact, you may also be right about the XML (data) not being changed. These are in the DLLs or whatever.
I deleted my post because I played a few more turns and saw that that was indeed the case.

I can't say I remember how it "used" to be, but the civilopedia certainly suggests it was 1 per kill period, and this aligns with what the other poster in this thread said.

I'm on summer vacation and playing exclusively on my Switch. I'm terribly dismayed that of all things Firaxis and Aspyr "fix" Zombies for the console update.

Nobody AFAIK has noticed any other change. (To most players there's been no change at all). B'cos I am a huge fan of Zombie defence (or was!) I noticed as soon as the update installed.

They've turned zombies into pussycats 😑

Should rename it Pussycat Defence mode!

Leave zombies as nerfed ...
until I get around to trying it again, anyway.

Thing is, I just found that I was constantly being attacked. I could deal with it at first...but when each Zombie grew by +1 CS, it very quickly became beyond my capacity to control.

Thing is, I just found that I was constantly being attacked. I could deal with it at first...but when each Zombie grew by +1 CS, it very quickly became beyond my capacity to control.
People forget the other half of Zombie Defence mode are the improvements - barricade, trap (and their advanced versions).
You really need to be building these.

Playing China helps because barricade is really a better great wall for everyone.

There is a pretty extensive guide on Steam:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2442917795

Last edited:
Zombies mode was always kind of half-baked. Scaling back mutation strength will help, I guess. It'd be cool if they made that mode meaningful.

Zombies were a non-issue on regular speed, and totally unstoppable on Epic or slower. They should be somewhere in between, to where they change the way the game is played without making it impossible.

Top Bottom