PolyCast 2018 Christmas Special: "We Four Gamers Gather Once More"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Coming together for change. The 2018 PolyCast Christmas Special, "We Four Gamers Gather Once More", is now available for netcasting. Making his last appearance as the show's lead panelist is Daniel "DanQ" Quick alongside fellow original co-host "Makahlua", who are both joined by longtime panelist Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and recently minted co-host Jason "MegaBearsFan" Grade. As much as this festive foray in podcasting is about Quick reflecting on the past to the present, it is also looking towards the Civing future that is the Civilization VI expansion Gathering Storm.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 03m20s | Segment #1
One, two, three questions directed at one panelist from "sadsquid".
- 10m04s | Segment #2
Direct to any-and-all panelists are two interrelated questions concerning Civilization VI.
- 12m57s | Segment #3
It's the first knowings of the Maori, coming to CivVI as part of its Gathering Storm expansion pack.
- 20m07s | Segment #4
One, two, three and four questions for one panelist in particular from "Morningcalm".
- 23m51s | Segment #5
The environmental effects that Gathering Storm is to bring to Civilization VI bookends a connection to the return of the World Congress.
- 33m28s | Segment #6
One, two, three, four listeners have their questions for a specific panelist answered.
- 40m00s | Segment #7
On the revelation that Canada will be a civ in Civilization for the first time via CivVI expansion Gathering Storm is taken in.
- 44m53s | Segment #8
What to make of what is already known about scored competitions within the up-and-returning-for-CivVI World Congress.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Unit upgrade hopefulness, art style choices and heartfelt thankings.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; the twelfth edition of Evergreen, a side series on selected moments and topics that best represent the show, is set to be released by year's end. Fellow sibling shows also in production presently are ModCast on Civ modding and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

I believe mobile cities in BERT were received well. In fact I would say it was one of the things most everyone did like. It seems obvious to me that they didn't carry over this mechanic as it relates to floating cities because it is syfy and not because it failed somehow. There are benefits to both types of cities (again the cast shows its lack of BERT playtime and while I won't hold it against you, sometimes a correction or alternate opinion is needed). It's a great mechanic in that setting, but we don't have (and won't have near future) floating cities on this planet. We will clearly have giant death robots before floating cities, so the realism checks out.

You could make an argument for mobile cities below a certain size in VI or VII and include the tile grabbing function of floating cities in BERT, but certainly only land based. Additionally, I think this only makes sense for a select few nomadic civs. I believe this is what MBF is advocating.

Top Bottom