PolyCast Episode 247: "Felt The Need to Say That"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Fitting. The two-hundred-and-forty-seventh episode of PolyCast, "Felt The Need to Say That", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Stephanie "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" and first-time guest co-host Matthieu "GrimVek". It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m38s | News
In follow-up from last episode, the release of Civilization Revolution 2 Plus in Europe and North America is delayed -- again -- as is with less than a week's lead time and no reason gien.
- 05m56s | Senate
Playing as, and against, Civilization V civilizations Rome, the Iroquois (18m58s) and Carthage (33m05s), two expansion packs and multiple patches later.
- 43m01s | Open Mic
As promised last episode, concluding the highlights from both the PolyCast and TurnCast 2015 Listener Feedback Surveys.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Nice guys and missing prompt.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production recording live every other Saturday throughout the year, in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding, TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Interesting rejection of the production related "delay" feedback (Open Mic segment).

Interesting rejection of the production related "delay" feedback (Open Mic segment).
Well, I wouldn't say we (I) rejected that piece of feedback -- it was acknowledged that the delay between episode recording and release does carry a negative -- but that it is more than offset by time for greater consideration and reflection.

Now, if 2K/Firaxis would at last start coordinating the timing of their Civ-related announcmeents with us... ;)

Surprised to hear DanQ plays on Emperor. I understand it's the last "fair" difficulty where you don't have to use special tactics described in this very episode. But doesn't it become trivial? Judging by how much details you guys know about the game it's strange you are playing a game with limited challenge. Is it really fun to start a game you know you will win?

Surprised to hear DanQ plays on Emperor. I understand it's the last "fair" difficulty where you don't have to use special tactics described in this very episode. But doesn't it become trivial? Judging by how much details you guys know about the game it's strange you are playing a game with limited challenge. Is it really fun to start a game you know you will win?
I never know going into a game that I will win on Emperor, though yes I do go in believing that my chances are better than winning than not. My extended playtime with Civilization V, and IV before that, was greatly afforded by multiplay -- even as a near always coopeartive endeavour against the Artificial Intelligence. This has added dynamics to the challenges at Emperor for V, but moreover remain fun through its highs and lows. This is generally true for singleplay as well. The challenge is without fail on Immortal and Deity still to be sure, but still too is the greater likelihood than not that I will not have fun in the process. Above all else, that is what gaming is about for me.

The strategies that we discuss include tactics, such as on this episode as you allude to, that are all but imparative on the two highest difficulty levels indeed. That said, on Emperor you are more likely than not to succeed if you follow them or at least 'drag out' success otherwise if you do not. That is not optimal and as such, I find lessens the fun to be had. Overall then, this difficulty level brings about the best chance to satisfy my preferred balance between challenge and fun.

Indeed. After the last post I've tried another game on Immortal - and remembered why I usually don't. It feels like those tactical wargames with overwhelming opposition that are intendend to be played as puzzle and are very hard to win without savescumming. Discouraging to see you doing all the right things, AI making all the mistakes and still it's on top of you.

Often overlooked problem in the genre in general, I feel. It's not about bad AI - though bad AI certainly doesn't help - it's about balancing difficulties so that maximum difficulty is not another game but harder game. Same problem in Galactic Civlization or Endless Legend - on lower difficulties you can win with making many mistakes, on higher difficulties you have to use special strategies acknowledging AI having head start and invalidating some tactics. You never get real simulation of advanced human player - and that's what AI should be, a human substitute,

Top Bottom