Polynesia in BNW

Noxius

Chieftain
I arguably think that Polynesia is one of the worst civs after BNW. Their UU is decent but goes obsolete to fast. Moai's give a bit of culture and a decent attack buff but are to situational. Not to mension you need tourism for culture win so thats even worse for Poly. The Embark/Ocean sailing is nice, I mean sure you have a chance of becoming world leader since you'll probably meet everyone first, but in the long run, its not very worth it in my opinion.Tell me what you guys think.

I've always thought the polynesian UU and Moais are useless. They only stand up as a good civ on archipelago.

With upgrades to Naval Warfare and Exploration I think they're easily better than what they used to be. If you still think they're bad, then that's fine, but I don't see how they were better in prior versions.

I disagree. If anything, BNW has made Polynesia a much, much better civ to play. Their UA is great for finding islands to settle and meeting more civs earlier than any other civ. The Maori Warrior is also great. Although it becomes obsolete quickly, its abilities follow it through the upgrade path. Make 4-6 of them early on and upgrade them throughout the game to have an incredibly strong army through the industrial age. Finally, the Moai Statues have been seriously buffed since BNW has made culture so difficult to get. Granted, culture does not immediately translate into a culture victory because that requires tourism, but this early culture boost can start early and allow a player to pursue a host of Social policies more quickly than anyone else. This gives the Polynesia player a much greater flexibility in pursuing victory conditions other than culture.

Exact opposite for me. I personally think they've been overbuffed.
UA- garuntee of WC founder, exploration is more important than ever with the advent of archeology, and being able to found colonies 3 eras earlier than anyone else makes you a trading superpower with far more options for your trade routes.
UU- still pretty meh, but with a much more peaceful early game you can build more of them before being forced to update, increasing their shelf life nicely.
UI- with hotels Maoi tile make you a cultural powerhouse of greater strength to france. 1-2 tourism per tile, on a stretch of 6 tiles makes each of your cities a cultural mecca, capable of spreading your influence far and wide even without great works!
Truly now people will see the true glory of my favorite side, now the Polynesians will rise from their so called "mediocrity" (though I think they were just fine before), and claim the title of "strong civ", surely now it is time for expansive culture to triumph!!!

Yeah i really dont see how polynesia can be classified as worthless either. Their ability to cross oceans early is uniquely valuable on water maps for a host of reasons not least because they can find more ruins on a water map than any other civ hands down, they can also claim all that land a fair bit ahead of anyone else preserving future potential places for antiquity sites. The Moai can be very valuable given the right string of coastal tiles on your island the middle space will be making 5 culture! Not to mention people always neglect the combat bonus the moai provides to nearby units which is relevant the whole game. Obviously not built for maps with little to no water but if you pick polynesia on an all land map thats kind of your fault.

Definitely far from useless. They are definitely more powerful, and the only changes were mechanics.

-Trade Nation: One of the civs that strives in the Ancient - Medieval Eras with the ability to settle new cities across the globe and gain access to many civs before others. Placing settlers around spots offers trade with many nations which is a great diploma boost too.

-Culture and Tourism: Culture Victory benefits a lot more from Wide civilizations than before. Building new cities to store great works. For Polynesia, well-planned and well-placed cities offer large culture boosts. Also, these Moais benefit from brand new buildings: Hotels and Airports. Unlike most other culture civs, Polynesia can augment their tourism without great works. Tourism becomes important in the Atomic and Information Era. Most likely you'll lose the wonder spam to another civ, but as long as you obtain Great Lighthouse and Colossus, you're set. If you choose a Culture victory, bypass the Printing Press route and chase Archaeology. You'll know the location of many spots. I found with Internet tech, you're hitting 700 - 1000 tourism.

-World Congress and City-States: Early access to all civs and a decision to pursue Printing Press, gains first access to hosting. Having access to all civs around the world first gives the chance to improve diplo status via trading luxuries or settling cities for trade routes. Having access to every city-state early gives an advantage to snowball your influence in completing quests. More often than not, more than 4 civs share a quest giving you additional delegates in further eras to hold onto host. Abuse the WC to give you an edge banning luxury resources. In BNW you can't be friends with anyone, so choose your allies and choose your enemies, and solidify those friendships as the WC host. Moais, Haka, and water maps give you a nice means of tutting against civs not enthralles with your diplomatic, espionage, or ideological successes.

End Note: Polynesia is not a top-end civ since its specific towards large water maps in which they are freaking overpowered with. Polynesia isn't an easy civ as it gives you tools and not crutches. However, creative players can use these tools to craft their world.

Even on maps that aren't tiny island maps, as long as there's multiple continents, Polynesia has access to more potential trading partners from the get-go, ones that aren't stressed about your borders and are less likely to have luxuries in common with you. (Having five citrus doesn't do you much good if everyone else on your continent already has citrus, and the game tends to split luxuries across continents.) While education is parallel to compass in the tech tree, Polynesia can also make use of their extra connections to increase the odds that they can set up multiple RAs right away, too. None of this has really changed since G&K. Polynesia even gets a very small amount of bonus happiness early on from the ability to discover the natural wonders on the other continent.

Everytime I read complaints about useless Moais I facepalm a little bit.

It's so easy. Find a patch of land that reaches into the ocean ... a peninsula. You can then continue to "surround" a coast tile with Moais. The center Moai will produce 5-6 culture plus the normal tile yields. That's the equivalent of a landmark but much earlier in the game. The Moais around the center also produce 3-4 culture each, making that city a cultural powerhouse with only 4-6 tiles reserved for Moais.

Add the Sistine Chapel and add another 25% culture, then hotels for conversion to tourism and Flight for additional gold.

Moais are awesome and the UA is also great. Send two triremes into the ocean and it's like having Satellite tech before 0 AD.

Exploration tree is also unlocked quite early and it gives you additional happiness and production in coastal cities, making Polynesia even stronger at settling colonies early in the game.

Top Bottom