Portable culture tour

BillSeurer

Warlord
Seeing this posting in another thread...

I'm starting to think that it's time to create a thread called "changes we like" . . . for me it would be the portable Lyre, Crown, and Hoard.

...reminds me of something that I've been doing. I use some fast mounted units to transport these 3 items around on what I call the :culture: Portable Culture Tour :culture:. They add something like 28 to the culture of a city that has nothing else producing culture (huge map if that makes a difference) and so can quickly push the culture of a city out a ring. I just move them around from city to city picking the next destination based on whichever city will benefit most from getting an extra ring of culture.

I assume that avalonnn thinks this needs to change. Too powerful perhaps?

I don't really see the problem. I can't imagine using the Crown for it's small amount of culture rather than the huge science boost. The Hoard's bonuses are best if it stays in a city and is left somewhere you produce units. The Lyre's raw culture isn't that big a deal, it's the multiplier that makes it a wonder. Much better to leave it in a developed city I want pressuring a neighbor's borders. If I want to expand a city's borders I'll send a disciple or rush a monument/theatre.

The global effects of the boosts like the science one are smaller on larger maps. But the local effects are just as big. Not everything seems to scale well in the game.

Moving the Lyre is also very useful for culture victories.

Seeing this posting in another thread...

...reminds me of something that I've been doing. I use some fast mounted units to transport these 3 items around on what I call the :culture: Portable Culture Tour :culture:. They add something like 28 to the culture of a city that has nothing else producing culture (huge map if that makes a difference) and so can quickly push the culture of a city out a ring. I just move them around from city to city picking the next destination based on whichever city will benefit most from getting an extra ring of culture.

I assume that avalonnn thinks this needs to change. Too powerful perhaps?

I feel proud.:crazyeye:

For the crown its true. By the time you build it carrying it is a huge loss to your research. (even though the effect on the unit wearing it can be really hefty so keep the option in your mind...)

But with carrier-hawks :)p) transporting the lyre or the hoard (if you get it early that is) make a decent replacement for monuments in new cities (1-2 Turns each to pop to fatcross for minor upkeep and zero cost really is neat). So culture-tour has its merits.

With the hoard you can also use this as a grab-a-weapon tour (passing the hoard around to get all your melees enchanted weapons fast). Also the losses are smallest for the hoard (pun intended. :p) for a small citiy in comparison to a big one.

The hoard is also possibly the earliest of the 3 (should you start with spirit mana and have Acheron near that is. :)) If you get it around or before Turn 150 it becomes a quasi creative-trait with some gold and a neat effect on units on top. :)
So to fly this one around is the most rewarding in my experience...

And if you want to go really cheesy and have an Archmage-level caster promoted to Enchantment 3 and with spellstaff in place allready you can sacrifice a hawk (or a unit ported with a nexus which might be interesting in case of certain units like desciples or greath people) if you got one to spare to insta port the item in question without using a yield that turn. (pick up item with sacrificial candidate, transfer to new city, sacrifice carrier, pick up item with archmage, cast spellstaff, drop item. :))
But more of a minor thing save for the crown nothing game-changing.

PS: Hawks could also fly greath commanders around in a hurry. Don't know if they can still. But a fix might be considered for both "issues" hawks are overpowered enough as is (unless they will be put to a much later tech one time in the future...)

Disciples work fine but what I am talking about is pushing the culture out further to 3 or 4 rings.

Say, is the effect of disciples scaled to the map size?

No it isn't.

I meant based on game speed not map size. The culture needed to make a city's area of culture grow is less on quickier games and more on longer ones.

I think it is 30/300/1500/15000/? on marathon. What is it on quicker settings?

Top Bottom