Post Brave New World One City Challenge

cncordle

Chieftain
I was wondering if it's possible still now with all the upgrades and such, (Excludes Venice). I have not played much since the expansion and this was one of my favorite ways to play, although I rarely completed those games. Please leave tips if any and what civ you played as with one city.

I think many of the changes has killed true OCC at the higher levels.

How are you supposed to make 3 cities with factories to get an ideology?

Sure they added a science limiter to towns, but they changed culture so more towns is better.

Also you can't use the insanely overpowered food trade routes.

Sure they added a science limiter to towns, but they changed culture so more towns is better.

However you can get gold more easily (you have the same # of trade routes as anyone else)

French OCC Cultural Victory.
Standard sized Pangaea/Normal speed/Deity.

Ideology? Just tech fast and hit Modern Era.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 2,793
French OCC Cultural Victory.
Standard sized Pangaea/Normal speed/Deity.

Ideology? Just tech fast and hit Modern Era.

this is pretty impressive. care to share strategy? How did you beat the AI to all those wonders on deity with 1 city science output?

I was wondering if it's possible still now with all the upgrades and such, (Excludes Venice). I have not played much since the expansion and this was one of my favorite ways to play, although I rarely completed those games. Please leave tips if any and what civ you played as with one city.

I just played it a few days ago on Immortal (as the Maya - hardly an optimal choice, but I happened to roll both them and a decent archipelago starting location). None of the changes in BNW do anything to harm OCC; you can't do food trading to the capital, but that's more or less it (unless your starting location isn't a good enough food location to sustain your guilds).

That turned out to be a dual map, and I ended up winning a cultural victory, but I was leading in science and had all the CS allies (which gave me a substantial army) so I think I would have done pretty much as well on larger maps.

this is pretty impressive. care to share strategy? How did you beat the AI to all those wonders on deity with 1 city science output?

If it's anything like my experience, you only need to beat the AI to two or three Wonders: Hanging Gardens, Temple of Artemis and - with the right start - Petra. The growth and production advantages from those give you both the population to advance quickly in tech and the production to build the rest. As a not incidental bonus, all three produce GE points (which I used for Sistine Chapel).

In all my BNW games I've yet to get an ideology that way - I generally hit Modern Era before three factories would finish completion.

for culture OCC you need a lot of wonders in BNW, which is really hard on deity, even compared to immortal.

I came very very Close to a CV OCC deity standard Brazil, however I did some very big mistakes and was unlucky with the setup.

I did get Artemis (Archery free Tech like turn 3), Hanging gardern (which don't give great enginner Points anymore).

Then I then to NC, should probably atleast tried to get a faith Wonder, maybe even open piety for its wonder. However I didn't.

Korea Went Culture and hyperteched to education, would have gotten the Chaple if I did not rush it with enginner which was a very big mistake because I could have saved it for the Porslin Tower (RA is basicly how I could be like 3rd in Tech).

Korea got both Uffize and the Porslin Tower while Babylon took the teater and Leaning Tower, 4 very Important Wonder and I could not get a single one of them.
Then I Went for S method, which was very stupid, I should have gone straight for archaeology to get both the wonders and as many artifacts I could have in my city.
In the end I got only 2 artifacts and no wonder.
However I did get Broadway and its theming bonus and the Eiffel Tower by a beline and Oxford, I should have used Oxford to get to Architecure and rushed the Porslin Tower with Enginner, or rushed the Uffzie.

The Problem in the end was that one Civ Korea did have so many Wonder that I could not produce enought tourism to beat them.

Had not any Civ that rushed and Went Culture crazy as Korea it would be pretty easy.

Only to do a new game.
My plan:
Brazil however France is probably a bit eaiser, Babylon could be good to but need more Wonders then B & F.
Get Temple of Artimes (on Tech path to Hanging Garden), get HG, Tech to Philo I doubt I can get Oracle, nice to get but not very important.
Build NC, Tech to Theology, Open Piety and Get its Wonder (6 faith per turn + add in temple and shrine can be the difference of getting a GM in the end or not)
That wonder seams very safe compared to say Hagia Sophia which go very fast, In my game I could have gotten this to say the least.

Between Building Wonders I get my Caravans and their Techs, very Important to have gold.
I try to Isolate all the Civs diplomatlicly which will hurt their Tech alot because no RAs with other Civs then me.

Tech to Education rushby University If I can, otherwise Build it and Prebuild Oxford to one turn.
Here is probably the most Important decision, Tech Acustics and hope to get the Chaple, could rush with enginner or Tech to Printing Press, A Tech the Ai seams to be slow on getting.
Printing Press Wonders can be chain rushed giving both more Great Writer Slots which are harder to find then Great Art slots and 25% to Great People Generation.
The Chaple will help alot to and in best case getting all 3.
Printing Press and it wonders could be skipped to get faster Architecure (probably Oxford that Tech) which got two very Important Wonders, maybe save the Enginner all way to that Point.
Then go Straight for archaeology to get as many sities as possible, 10 or so extra GW will help alot to get the win.
Tech after will be for S method to Radio, then to Refrigeration, Plastics, Internet.
Policies will probably be Full Tradition, Piety Open, Full Astetics, Exploration Opened, Full Rationalism, Ideology (Depends on situation).

The most Important things Is basicly to get the key Wonders and get as many GW works as possible.
Also some friends are needed but that is not hard to get and a lot of warfare between the civs, created by bribing them.

Then there are the thing about Great Musicans, If I wait to get them and get alot of tourism I could very quickly get a few very powerful Musicans, however doing so will mean less Great Works and Less Culture, meaning slower Policies.

I Think this strategy can win, but its in the end pretty luck based on how the ais decides to act.

I came very very Close to a CV OCC deity standard Brazil, however I did some very big mistakes and was unlucky with the setup.

I did get Artemis (Archery free Tech like turn 3), Hanging gardern (which don't give great enginner Points anymore).

I'm pretty certain that's incorrect. It's not listed in the online Civilopedia, but that's hardly free from errors (Berserkers at Metal Casting indeed). Unless Artemis produces more GE points than I realised, my engineer bar was climbing too fast for the Gardens not to be producing. I'll check when I reload my ongoing Ethiopia game (started a Hun game to test out the infamous warmonger penalties).

Korea Went Culture and hyperteched to education, would have gotten the Chaple if I did not rush it with enginner which was a very big mistake because I could have saved it for the Porslin Tower (RA is basicly how I could be like 3rd in Tech).

Doesn't sound like a mistake to me, if you were going for culture victory in OCC (quite apart from the Chapel's main effect, you need those art slots). Even in isolation Sistine Chapel is arguably the better Wonder, though both are very good.

Then I Went for S method, which was very stupid, I should have gone straight for archaeology to get both the wonders and as many artifacts I could have in my city.

I'd agree with that - though OCC hits a problem in that regard because you can't gold-buy archaeologists and have to produce them all individually. You do want it for the wonder and the slots, though.

In the end I got only 2 artifacts and no wonder.

Someone in your game actually took Exploration?

However I did get Broadway and its theming bonus and the Eiffel Tower by a beline and Oxford, I should have used Oxford to get to Architecure and rushed the Porslin Tower with Enginner, or rushed the Uffzie.

Again I'd disagree. On one city you need Broadway more than you need Uffizi - you get art slots from a museum, the Hermitage, the palace, and most of the tourism Wonders. Music you only get from an Opera House and a Broadcast Tower, and each only has one slot. Though I'll grant that musicians are more useful than artists for their secondary ability. And while I'd rather have The Louvre than Eiffel, I'd rather have Eiffel than Uffizi (EDIT: France specifically is an exception, since it doubles the theming bonus - with the Aesthetics finisher - to 12, the same as Eiffel, and gives you an Artist plus art slots).

The Problem in the end was that one Civ Korea did have so many Wonder that I could not produce enought tourism to beat them.

I think the answer to this in culture games, if they're the only outstanding obstacle, is to wipe them out. This isn't vanilla/G&K any more, and cultural victory does not demand or particularly reward peaceful play, beyond the fact that OCC makes it hard to build an army - then, that's what militaristic city-states are for. You only have to have cultural superiority over surviving civs. To be successful at culture, you need to be close to tech leader anyway, so should have an advanced army.

Build NC, Tech to Theology, Open Piety and Get its Wonder (6 faith per turn + add in temple and shrine can be the difference of getting a GM in the end or not)
That wonder seams very safe compared to say Hagia Sophia which go very fast, In my game I could have gotten this to say the least.

At least on Immortal, Djenne is more favoured by the AI in my experience than Hagia Sophia. The main reason to prioritise Djenne over Sophia is that it's simply better. The AI doesn't seem to much favour Religious Art (which is probably a follower belief you'll want), so it's not critical to speedily enhance your religion.

Tech to Education rushby University If I can, otherwise Build it and Prebuild Oxford to one turn.

If you go down the full Piety route for the Reformation belief, you can try for Jesuit Education. Since the most limiting factor when playing OCC is production slots, as you're almost continually putting out Wonders, being able to faith-buy universities and research labs with the faith you aren't using for pagodas (since you can have at most one, Pagodas etc. are pretty pointless for OCC) can be valuable.

Here is probably the most Important decision, Tech Acustics and hope to get the Chaple, could rush with enginner or Tech to Printing Press, A Tech the Ai seams to be slow on getting.
Printing Press Wonders can be chain rushed giving both more Great Writer Slots which are harder to find then Great Art slots and 25% to Great People Generation.

You're right, that is a tough call. If you don't get Great Library you do rather need The Globe, and it's not around for long in most games. At the same time the Tower boost to GP production is less valuable since you don't have all that many great work slots anyway, and Sistine Chapel culture seems to count as coming from the Wonder for hotel purposes - I had upwards of 300 tourism in my OCC game without ever getting to The Internet, and much of that was from Sistine Chapel, Alhambra (be sure not to forget this one - since you only have one city, it's basically a second Chapel) and Hermitage (if NWs count for hotels).

On balance I'd go the Acoustics route - that also lets you pick up Alhambra on the way.

Then there are the thing about Great Musicans, If I wait to get them and get alot of tourism I could very quickly get a few very powerful Musicans, however doing so will mean less Great Works and Less Culture, meaning slower Policies.

What are you doing with all that faith, again? You don't want to stall on GM production just to rush them at the end, partly because tourism very early builds up and can lead you to become influential with some civs before ever hitting the Modern Era, and partly because it's the Great Works and other tourism sources you have that are used to calculate the benefit of the GM - if you skimp on them and miss out 20+ GWM tourism, that's 200 tourism less you're spamming every time you sacrifice a GM.

I'd produce GMs as soon and often as possible, and faith buy any others. You can always save a few up between Opera House and Broadcast Tower when you can't otherwise use them.

The only time I won CV on deity was with Brazil and lots of jungle. I've tried other civs with no luck.

Use oxford and bulp radio to get ideology.

Top Bottom