Post Patch Crash on Start

Catt_Ironheart

Chieftain
So basically I never had the game crash to desktop, but after the patch installed I can't play the game.

Start new game (custom or Let's Play) and does all the intro fine but when I click the start button it shows a blank map and then CTD.

I have no mods and did the integrity cache thing, but it still does it.

A couple of things you should try first:

Update GPU drivers, new drivers were issued specifically for this patch.

Re-install the game entirely. Steam's hash-checking feature is outrageously terrible for some reason.

If these don't work then I would post a DXDiag so people can see system specifics.

Yeah, driver update was actually the first thing I did hoping that was the problem. I then un/re-installed the game. I attached the DXDiag.

Tonight I verified if the problem still exists, which it does. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    41.4 KB · Views: 154
I'm afraid only 2 things stick out to me there and both are fairly low %.

Your sound drivers are Windows 7 default MS drivers. That's costing you some performance as it's a software-only driver but I wouldn't think it's causing the crashes.

Secondly, you are running Win 7 which cannot support DX12, any chance you are trying to run the DX12 version? Your card supports it, your OS does not so it's worth a double check but, again, I'm not convinced myself.

I believe I am not running the DX12, but how would I check? If I right click on the game in steam there is "Pay Game.." and then the next option says "Play" and then the full game title (DX12) Win 10.

Also it loaded up before and I played without any issues before.

You should have two options in Steam when you click "Play." The first option is for anyone, but the second option is DX12/Win 10 only. It looks like when you right click, it's taking you directly to the DX12/Win 10 option.

I might not have explained properly so here is a snapshot of what I mean. I don't think that is the issue.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    14 KB · Views: 64
And you select "Play game" and the game hangs up. Sounds like you've already tried revalidating your game files, so I'm not sure what else to advise.

At least for me this is what the game looks like when you try and start a game.
https://imgur.com/a/D9sAr

I was going through the logs and it seems like it is something to do with the leaders, as when I started a new game with all default settings it set everyone's civ to Monty.

I don't know if it is having trouble finding other leaders or if the Aztec DLC has something to do with this.

EDIT: I uninstalled the Aztec DLC and it can no longer find any civilizations and immediately crashed when loading now. It seems the issue is with the game being unable to locate any of the civs/leaders. I have no idea how to fix this but I will keep trying and update if I find something.

Last edited:
SirWozzel, that is exactly what is happening with my game!

Also if I start a random game it always sets my civ as Aztecs, and then crashes after showing the map like your image. If I do custom game and select another civ the game will simply crash without loading the map.

I haven't tried to uninstalled the Aztecs but I guess that doesn't work either.

I am at a loss with what to do to get the game to work. It worked without problems before the patch. Maybe there is something going on with my video card or the driver, but I would imagine more people would have this issue.

I am at a loss with what to do to get the game to work. It worked without problems before the patch. Maybe there is something going on with my video card or the driver, but I would imagine more people would have this issue.

It seems like something to do with the leaders not being recognized, I don't think it is a problem with the drivers at all.

If anyone is interested I can post the log files showing the missing civs.

UPDATE: I got in contact with Firaxis support and they ended up saying that it was a problem with windows and its not their fault yada yada. So it looks like we are SOL for the time being.

Last edited:
Top Bottom