Post-patch happiness weirdness

Rambuchan

The Funky President
I'm a bit perplexed by some changes to happiness that seem to have happened with the recent patch. Two particular instances:

- I have two sources of a lux in the trade screen. I trade one for a lump sum plus 7gpt (making sure to keep one for my people) and...my empire happiness drops by 4. WTF?

- I save up and sling 1000 gold to a mercantile CS, converting them to my dark side. Yet there's no happiness boost.

There were some other oddities I noticed with happiness not ending up as one would expect. But those may have been down to me not factoring in happiness buildings getting completed and population rising. Be that as it may, I suspect there may be some other changes that have been made to happiness.

Can someone please enlighten?

There has long been a bug in the trade screen that can display the wrong number of luxuries -- sometimes displays 2 when you actually only have 1. If you trade away that 1 lux, happiness drops by 4.

On the mercantile side, you only get extra, non-luxury-based happiness when you make friends. When you become allies, the only thing extra you get are their luxuries and strategics -- if their luxuries (regular luxuries and the mercantile's special lux, like jewelry) are duplicates, no extra happiness.

Also, if the World Congress has banned a luxury, no one gets happiness from that luxury.

There has long been a bug in the trade screen that can display the wrong number of luxuries -- sometimes displays 2 when you actually only have 1. If you trade away that 1 lux, happiness drops by 4.

Yes, that usually happens when the AI wants to extend a trade deal with you and they successfully lie to you that you have an extra copy of a resource they want. :lol:

Amazingly, I had never encountered this until recently. Guess I've just been too much of a slut with my luxs in the past :lol:

On the mercantile side, you only get extra, non-luxury-based happiness when you make friends. When you become allies, the only thing extra you get are their luxuries and strategics -- if their luxuries (regular luxuries and the mercantile's special lux, like jewelry) are duplicates, no extra happiness.
This wasn't the case before the patch, right?

Also, if the World Congress has banned a luxury, no one gets happiness from that luxury.
I may not be the most meticulous player, but I have clocked this one at least.

The mercantile happiness rules have been in place since the G&K balance patch (Fall 2012, IIRC).

Still happening post-patch. I always reject any offers until I have a chance to check out the main screen or the Trade Opportunities mod screen.

Don't.

Use Global Relations (which includes TO and is accessible from within the Diplo Dialog).

Don't.

Use Global Relations (which includes TO and is accessible from within the Diplo Dialog).
Can you please clarify which mod it is that allows you to do this?

Basically, extending luxury for cash or gpt has never been safe; that bug has been around since Vanilla.
Teaching the AI the "I want" just made the same bug more prominent.

Just decline and then wait for your turn unless its a luxury for a luxury or you already know you have several extra copies of that luxury.

Top Bottom