Post your Windows 7 + Civ experiences please.

I have had mixed results. I recently upgraded from winXP home to Win7 Home ultimate.

I am running a quad core with 4G RAM. There are two issues.

I usually login as a normal user but BTS prompts me for admin privileges on start up.

The machine starts beeping after playing for 10 minutes or so. Perhaps it is heating up more?

Civ Complete DVD, occurs both with BTS and Colonization, latest patches installed:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Colonization.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 49a88196
Fault Module Name: Colonization.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 49a88196
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 005bc8e5
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: b5bd
Additional Information 2: b5bdc401d80a48b9afd4b902fc5eb423
Additional Information 3: cd8a
Additional Information 4: cd8a1067325eaf3c2a41cda35f5cb416

Starting a new game and playing in the same session never crashes - only after loading the saved game. Sometimes Windows produces the above output, sometimes it locks up the display requiring a system reboot. Note the following:

1) Brand new system, including Windows 7 (see attached dxdiag)

2) Enabled the administrator account and gave it full control per instructions found on this site, then

3) Installed BTS & Colonization + patches as administrator. No mods.

4) I also checked the exe properties for BTS & Colonization, and checked Run as Administrator in the properties dialog

5) Ensured I had the latest video card drivers from MSI (R5670)

I saw some cryptic references here to setting the app process memory to be greater than 2 Gig (I have 2 Gig RAM + video card, see dxdiag) - how do you do that?

I noticed from 2 different dxdiag dumps:
Civ unloaded: Page File: 1196MB used, 2883MB available
Civ Loaded: Page File: 1633MB used, 2446MB available

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    30.5 KB · Views: 73
  • DxDiagLoaded.txt
    30.5 KB · Views: 121
I can load the game, but the problem is when I play it, it tells me Audio playback disabled and there is no sound. Also even when I close the game there is no audio playback and I have to restart my computer. I have Sigma Tel HD Audio Codec driver on a Dell Inspiron 1521

@kps666 - trying clearing your CIV4 caches (search Civfanatics to see how)

I finally got a new computer after 6 years, I am running Win 7 Premium Home on a i7 860 processor, 8GB RAM and a 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850 video card.

After reading some of the posts here, I was scared of installing my Civ 4 discs, I know how my luck usually runs. Here is what I did:

* Installed the game from my original Civ 4 discs, ( had forgotten this game was on 2 discs). I opened Explorer and clicked Setup and clicked on Run as Admin and installed everything in the default directory. I then started a game (right-clicked on the desktop icon and Run as admin), went through about 10 turns, saved, exited the game. I started the game, again Run as admin from desktop icon. Everything seemed to work fine.

* I then installed Civ 4 patch 1.61, which I had copied from my old computer on a usb flash drive. I installed that also as Run as admin, and repeated all the steps above. Everything ran fine.

* I then installed Civ 4 patch 1.74, which I had copied from my old computer on a usb flash drive. I installed that also as Run as admin, and repeated all the steps above. I got that shader error message, but I followed the link provided by Ori in post #74, that fixed that problem (Thanks Ori!). Everything then ran fine.

* Next I found my old BTS discs, and followed the same procedure as installing the the original Civ 4 discs. All OK so far.

* I installed both BTS patches (4.17 then 3.19) as above, all seems to work OK.

* I don't really play Warlords that much, but since it was going well, I also dug out my original discs and installed them as above. When I went to play them, I got my first problem. I got a runtime error, so I tried to start the game again and this time it ran fine. I also installed the Warlords patch 2.13 and that went well too.

So, basically I installed everything as Run as Admin in the default directories, and so far so good. Now I am going to try a few mods (Rise of Mankind and maybe Total Realism) and see if I can get success from them too!

Thanks everyone that that has posted in this thread!

Win 7 X64 Pro
Core i7 720, 6 GB RAM

Installed Civ 4
Game seemed to run OK but blank screens for sound and video settings
Installed patch 1.74
Get 'missing D3DX9_32.DLL' message
Current mood: grumpy

This never used to happen on my old Mac, System 6, blah, blah, blah...

..(continued)

So searched the forums, downloaded DX9 again all seems well, including full settigns functionality.

Thanks to the member who provided that link.
Current mood: relieved!

just picked up civ4 for my laptop and it was running just fine...stopped to do something else the other day....now civ4 will not load or play...laptop doesnt seem to recognize the discs (tried reinstalling, returned game for another copy and still no luck) any ideas?

Faulty Laptop Drive by the sounds of it.

I have been working on installing Civ 4 for my new PC that has Windows 7 and would appreciate any help anyone can provide. My current situation is that whenever I try to start the game it gives me the message "Please Insert Correct CD". This happens regardless of which of the two game CDs I have in the drive.

Here is what I have done so far:
1. Uninstalled first failed attempt.
2. Installed the setup file as Administrator.
3. Downloaded and installed the 1.74 pack version and installed as administrator. Confirmed in the Program Files area that it is version 1.74.
4. Downloaded and Installed the most recent version of DirectX.
5. Try to start game by selecting "Run as Administrator".

As a side note, on my old computer (which ran Windows XP) I had to have disc 1 in the computer instead of disc 2 in order to run the game even though the instructions were the opposite.

I have not done anything to my ".ini" file and am not sure if I need to.

Thank you for any help.

See note below for my solution...

I was able to find an easy work around for my issue. I just allow the autorun file start the application rather than try to start the application as an admin. Seems weird that this works, but I just care that it works!!

I also used previous postings to solve the "Voice Capture disabled" error my changing the .ini file.

Thank you to previous posters for allowing me to play Civ 4 on my new/faster computer!! Now off to play enormous maps that couldn't run on my old computer...

my civ game is more or less fine but there is one tiny problem every now and then i will get an error that blacks out the screen and also causes lag in multiplayer, the only thing i can do to fix this is just wait till it goes away which works fine on single player but pisses everyone else off in multiplayer. what do?

Thanks for the help guys, I installed the patch and its working fine now only thing it says is something about microphone incompatability but i dont even have one plugged in so hopefully that is just a minor glitch.
I haven't been through the whole thread, so I may be duplicating information, but I found an answer to this one! If you go to the .ini file in the BTS folder and find the line that says "Enable Voice Capture" and set it to 0 instead of 1, then you will not see this message again.

I got past the installation issues and hve actually run one full game of Civ 4 on my new Windows 7 computer. Yeah!! The only issue I can find is that I cannot find a "regerate map" button on my first turn. Very strange. If anybody has any clues on that one I would be curious.

Top Bottom