Pre-ChaNES: Into the Void

Well, I'm willing to relinquish China to North King and to North King only ;)

If he doesn't want it, I claim China and will post shortly :D

I'm confused and flattered. :) However, I don't really want to play as a superpower... I already have an idea in mind.

I'm confused and flattered. :) However, I don't really want to play as a superpower... I already have an idea in mind.

Very well. I'm China :)

Union of European Socailist Republics (UESR)
Leader: Victor Wichen (Nuclear kid)
Capital: Berlin, Earth
Government: Communist Dictatorship
Technology: 2053, The UESR is ahead in renewable energy, genetics (cloning), computers, and space travel. It is far superior in Tank technology. It is about the same, possibly less to America in weapons.
Army Stats: Clones and Computers have taken over most jobs. The Clones are specialy bred to be ruthless killers
Army Description: The European Armies have not completly recovered from the purges of the 40's. Vehicles make up a huge part of the European Military, with Tanks being the most Important. Due to the increadible tanks, the UESR has less infantry than most countries, and have become a support role. The only competent commanders are General Jason Kelly from Britain, General Rene Foulk of France, and Wichen himself.
Navy Stats: Battleships make up the largest part, followed by Submarines and cruisers. They do not have many carriers
Navy Description: The navy is high tech due to the combining of the British, French, Italian, and Spainish navies. All the Admirals were killed in the purges, and Wichen has yet to replace them. The Chief of Navy, Johan Schultz, is not ready for the job, and is rather incompetent.
Total Economy: The economy has not yet recovered from the revolution in 2018, The civil war in '26, the Cultural reforms of the 30's, and the purges of the 40's. Since the UESR has been established in 2020, there have been 25 4 year plans, most of them canceled. The recent one was sucsessful though (Wichen threatened to kill almost everyone if it didn't get done right), and went by the slogan "let's make it 3!" The main thing needing to be recovered is the infrastructure.
Planets Occupied: Parts of Earth
Avg. Infrastructure: Mediocre
Control: ?
Total Population: 750 Million
Military Cap: ?
Education: Perfect Education
Avg. Safety & Health: Perfect
Avg. Patriotism: Zombie like
Projects: <Name, Effect, and Progress>
History: In 2010, the European Federation was in decline. A civil war was felt everywere except France, where the Federation was centered. In 2018, the Brothers of Revolution took control of Germany, enlisted foreign aid, and started conquering Europe. Destruction was not wide spred, only in Germany and France. The Republic of Europe was then declared. In 2026,the Republic
was just as corrupt as the Federation. A civil war between the Republic, and Wichen was quite wide spred, only 2 nations being spared the destruction; Britain, who was never close to the Republic, and Scandanavia, which was quite loyal to Wichen. In 2030, Wichen was declared president for life of the Union of European Socailist republics. Wichen, wishing to purify Europe, set forward the Cultural Revolution, which pretty much put all non Communists, and all non Europeans into Concentration camps.This made people lose thousands of workers, and anything resembling a free market was gone. In 2041, Wichen took a hard fall, which made him go a little insane. He stopped trusting people, and in 2043 to 2048, almost all Military, Industrial, and High ranking members, as well as people who had escaped the Cultural Revolutions grasp, like gypsies, handicaps, homosexuals, and the mentally challenged, were killed in Death Camps. Between these 4 events, some say about 1 billion people died. Now though, with the roadways being rebuilt, fields replanted, and factories rebuilt, the UESR is headed to economic sucsess

I still think most people are overestimating indonesia and underestimating the speed of technological advancement. For instance I heard on NPR this morning that South Koreans are currently cloning Cats that glow red in the dark. I think it is logical that any country researching genetic modification would experiment first on animals and then on humans. This would include tons of different research projects and one not even focused on intellegence could develop it on accident.

OOC: What is this recognition of Taiwan as an independent country? :p

EDIT: It's worse than I thought, Taiwan has been ANNEXED by Australia. This outrage would not have been suffered by China short of nuclear oblivion.

Decloak: Remember, Chandrasekhar: there is absolutely nothing wrong with shooting down player proposals in flames. Hippies might try and say you're stifling creativity, but they're wrong.

Spoiler :
Union of European Socailist Republics (UESR)
Leader: Victor Wichen (Nuclear kid)
Capital: Berlin, Earth
Government: Communist Dictatorship
Technology: 2053, The UESR is ahead in renewable energy, genetics (cloning), computers, and space travel. It is far superior in Tank technology. It is about the same, possibly less to America in weapons.
Army Stats: Clones and Computers have taken over most jobs. The Clones are specialy bred to be ruthless killers
Army Description: The European Armies have not completly recovered from the purges of the 40's. Vehicles make up a huge part of the European Military, with Tanks being the most Important. Due to the increadible tanks, the UESR has less infantry than most countries, and have become a support role. The only competent commanders are General Jason Kelly from Britain, General Rene Foulk of France, and Wichen himself.
Navy Stats: Battleships make up the largest part, followed by Submarines and cruisers. They do not have many carriers
Navy Description: The navy is high tech due to the combining of the British, French, Italian, and Spainish navies. All the Admirals were killed in the purges, and Wichen has yet to replace them. The Chief of Navy, Johan Schultz, is not ready for the job, and is rather incompetent.
Total Economy: The economy has not yet recovered from the revolution in 2018, The civil war in '26, the Cultural reforms of the 30's, and the purges of the 40's. Since the UESR has been established in 2020, there have been 25 4 year plans, most of them canceled. The recent one was sucsessful though (Wichen threatened to kill almost everyone if it didn't get done right), and went by the slogan "let's make it 3!" The main thing needing to be recovered is the infrastructure.
Planets Occupied: Parts of Earth
Avg. Infrastructure: Mediocre
Control: ?
Total Population: 750 Million
Military Cap: ?
Education: Perfect Education
Avg. Safety & Health: Perfect
Avg. Patriotism: Zombie like
History: In 2010, the European Federation was in decline. A civil war was felt everywere except France, where the Federation was centered. In 2018, the Brothers of Revolution took control of Germany, enlisted foreign aid, and started conquering Europe. Destruction was not wide spred, only in Germany and France. The Republic of Europe was then declared. In 2026,the Republic
was just as corrupt as the Federation. A civil war between the Republic, and Wichen was quite wide spred, only 2 nations being spared the destruction; Britain, who was never close to the Republic, and Scandanavia, which was quite loyal to Wichen. In 2030, Wichen was declared president for life of the Union of European Socailist republics. Wichen, wishing to purify Europe, set forward the Cultural Revolution, which pretty much put all non Communists, and all non Europeans into Concentration camps.This made people lose thousands of workers, and anything resembling a free market was gone. In 2041, Wichen took a hard fall, which made him go a little insane. He stopped trusting people, and in 2043 to 2048, almost all Military, Industrial, and High ranking members, as well as people who had escaped the Cultural Revolutions grasp, like gypsies, handicaps, homosexuals, and the mentally challenged, were killed in Death Camps. Between these 4 events, some say about 1 billion people died. Now though, with the roadways being rebuilt, fields replanted, and factories rebuilt, the UESR is headed to economic sucsess
I think this is an example of too much revolutionary change. A conquest of Europe by a genocidal Communist party is a bit far out there, and some of the aspects of this nation are not really what could be expected of a near-futuristic power. I could definitely see a nation with this flavor coming into being eventually, but not for the initial turn.

Fine I will change it :(

A Summary of the Recent History of American Foreign Policy - Part One

The Americans were able to finally leave Iraq by the end of the year and hand all responsibilities to the provisional Iraqi government. National hatred over the war deteriorated over the course of the year as casualties continued to drop, and some legislators even began to think that Bush may have salvaged his reputation. The withdrawal was overall very clean, although the fact that America had not withdrawn from Afghanistan was a dissapointment to both the American people and Congress.

Israeli planes bombed Iranian nuclear research facilities, which had been secretly rebegun the process of researching nuclear energy production. Iran, suprisingly to much of the world, did not respond violently, but denounced Israel's actions and called for a new middle eastern coalition, along with the destruction of the Israeli state. In response, American troops were sent to Israel, Turkey, and Pakistan, although they never saw combat.

The bombing of the US embassy in the Phillipines and the assassination of several high profile American figures resulted in the sending of the American navy to the Phillipines. Several known terrorist strongholds in the northern end of the country were bombed, although American soldiers never landed in the country.

New advances in military computer systems allowed "Star Wars", the missile defense system envisioned by Ronald Reagan, to become reality (to some extent). The missile defense systems in eastern Europe were upgraded, and new systems were placed in South Korea, Turkey, and Israel.

(Before I can finish writing up my history, I'd like the others to give some input. I don't want to sleight their countries unfairly, nor do I want monopolize deciding how the world will turn out.)

Spoiler :
ANZIT
Leader: Prime Minister Edward Wilson, (Demetrias)
Capital: Canberra
Government: Parliamentary Democracy
Technology: In the year 2053 Australian biotechnological companies are some of the best in the world. In 2021 Australian scientist managed to genetically engineer the smart dogs capable of functioning on an intellectual level equal to that of a human child. After years of research the scientist where able to build genetic super soldiers and labourers out of animals. These new creatures were termed Moreaus and given limited rights. Military spending in these projects resulted in Australia being the leading supplier of prescription drugs in the world. Also Australian Scientist managed to develop gene therapy treatments for many genetic disorders and can even cure some types of cancer. Australian industry is heavily mechanized using many new types of machines developed in Japan, Taiwan and America. Long time trading partners and Allies. Many software companies have moved to Australia due to government incentives.
Army Stats: Large Army consiting of the Moreaus who must serve a 12 year stint in the Army before being granted the right to find other employment. Many Moreaus being genetically designed for service in the military spend their entire lives in the service. Most of the fighting vehicles consits of high spead troop transports and exo-armour suits. These suits mainly designed for Moreaus or similarly enhanced humans provide troops with the same protection a tank would but allowing considerably more manuverablity.
Army Description: Australian military is designed to fight urban wars. The army is designed around fast attack squads of Moreaus and enhanced humans wear exo-armour. They are designed to fight guerillas and long term occupations. Modern warfare between develop nations many being fought in the air. Australia desided to focus on holding territory gained. The airforce uses fighters developed by SAAB who moved their headquaters to Australia after being force out of the early EU markets by American and English built planes. The fighters are mainly hypersonic jets built as missile platforms and strategic stealth bombers.
Navy Stats: Australia fields a medium sized navy built on Missile Cruisers and Frigates. Also a small sub force.
Navy Description: The missile cruisers are advanced missile platform tied into a GPS system of almost unrivaled excellence and excellent radar capabilities. These ships are design to shoot down enemy missiles and fighter jets. The missiles themselves have the most advanced guidance system possible and travel at hypersonic speeds.
Total Economy: The economy is one of the top ten in the world.
Planets Occupied: Earth, though petitioning the UN for the right to build its own space station independent of the UN, USA, Russia or the EU.
Avg. Infrastructure: Excellent
Control: Limited
Total Population: 500 million, 2 million Moreaus
Military Cap: <Divisions>
Education: Excellent
Avg. Safety & Health: Excellent
Avg. Patriotism: Average in A,NZ,T, Poor in I, Excellent amongest Moreaus
History: In 2012 Australia and New Zealand united to become one country in an effort to boost their economy and compete on the world stage as one of the players in the World. In 2015 the USA and Taiwan asked Australia to join in the Defense of Taiwan against an ever increasing threat of Chinese aggression. In 2017 Taiwan official petitioned to join the union to avoid a threatened Chinese invasion. It was excepted. In 2019 Papa New Guinea joined the Union and in the same year Indonesia began a war with Australia over Papa New Guinea saying that Australia annexing that territory was an act of war. Their after followed a twenty year war were the Moreaus were develop to relieve the burden of occupation from the Australians. In 2040 the last portion of Indonesia was conquered but rebellions continued up until the present day. The islands closest to Australia having been conquered the longest no longer rebel but their are constant civil rights problems and protest in those territories. The Island of Borneo is in constant rebellion and is largely uncontrolled. Sumatra rebels every couple of years. Java and Sulawesi have largely settled down and no longer rebel but riots in the major cities are common. Both those islands have been admitted as states while Borneo and Sumatra are still occupied territories. New Guinea is unified as one state.

(If that is too much change tell me and I will change it.)
The Moreaus seem a bit too futuristic for this stage of the NES, though they're a very interesting concept. I can see that an Oceanan union is plausible enough to be a major power in this NES, though an Australian conquest doesn't seem particularly likely. A more peaceful union would be more preferred, and would probably result in a stronger power.
Decloak: Remember, Chandrasekhar: there is absolutely nothing wrong with shooting down player proposals in flames. Hippies might try and say you're stifling creativity, but they're wrong.

Thanks, I'll keep your advice in mind. ;)

China would never allow the American Navy to be dispatched to the Philippines, practically on China's door, to interfere in the country's domestic problems.

And a missile defense system in South Korea wold be considered provoking China and preventing her from using her nuclear arsenal ;)

I strongly state again, any conquest of annexation of Taiwan by a country aside from China will be met with armed and perhaps even nuclear force! *looks at Australia/Oceania*

Fine I will change it :(
Hey, don't take it personally. :) Nailing the specific technological and social flavor of a futuristic NES strikes me as a difficult task, and of course we need to work closely together to avoid any obvious anachronisms or discontinuities in the setting. By the way, if you'd like to give up the reins of Europe to another player so that you can exercise your vision later on in the NES, feel free to do so. I know how we players can get attached to specific concepts for our NES nations, and I wouldn't want you to feel like you're obligated to play if your heart wouldn't be in it.
Spoiler :
A Summary of the Recent History of American Foreign Policy - Part One

The Americans were able to finally leave Iraq by the end of the year and hand all responsibilities to the provisional Iraqi government. National hatred over the war deteriorated over the course of the year as casualties continued to drop, and some legislators even began to think that Bush may have salvaged his reputation. The withdrawal was overall very clean, although the fact that America had not withdrawn from Afghanistan was a dissapointment to both the American people and Congress.

Israeli planes bombed Iranian nuclear research facilities, which had been secretly rebegun the process of researching nuclear energy production. Iran, suprisingly to much of the world, did not respond violently, but denounced Israel's actions and called for a new middle eastern coalition, along with the destruction of the Israeli state. In response, American troops were sent to Israel, Turkey, and Pakistan, although they never saw combat.

The bombing of the US embassy in the Phillipines and the assassination of several high profile American figures resulted in the sending of the American navy to the Phillipines. Several known terrorist strongholds in the northern end of the country were bombed, although American soldiers never landed in the country.

New advances in military computer systems allowed "Star Wars", the missile defense system envisioned by Ronald Reagan, to become reality (to some extent). The missile defense systems in eastern Europe were upgraded, and new systems were placed in South Korea, Turkey, and Israel.

(Before I can finish writing up my history, I'd like the others to give some input. I don't want to sleight their countries unfairly, nor do I want monopolize deciding how the world will turn out.)

Thank you, this is an excellent example of a format I like. :D It also has the advantage that if we go year-by-year like this, all of the nations should reach a fairly consistent vision for the world. Of course, players should also feel free to discuss changing details that have been set down like this, too.

China may not care enough to start a world war, but the actions of the United States won't exactly help relations. :p Strongly disagrees, and stuff like that ;)

I know you may disagree with the following statement, but while the USA can most cetainly afford to offend almost everyone in the short run, in the long run it's not exactly a wise thing to go anger the people who were previously apathetic. And of course, there is the change in political administrations that may or may not move in such a blatant way.

I strongly disagree with a few of the previous statements made by the players so far about their nation as I believe they did not take into consideration what other nations would think of their actions. Yes, I am crushing your creativity and "right" to change the world into the way you like it. :p

China may not care enough to start a world war, but the actions of the United States won't exactly help relations. :p Strongly disagrees, and stuff like that ;)

Heh, and of course tensions between any two (or more) nations will make for a potentially more interesting setup as of 2053, right? ;)

46 years of genetic research and I can't turn Dogs and Tigers into super soldiers?

Though I thought Taiwan might be objectionable and Indonesia too but how do you expect a peaceful coalition if Indonesia itself has to fight to hold itself together. Could I take half of it?

Heh, and of course tensions between any two (or more) nations will make for a potentially more interesting setup as of 2053, right? ;)

Of course, but some things go beyond the natural toleration level of nations and demand aggressive action. ;) I'm just saying for the USA, the potential change in parties should be taken into consideration. If either of the parties tries to reinstall Star Wars within the next 10 years, the electorate will go mad over spending even more money on a "useless" project considering the situation of the US deficit :mischief:

46 years of genetic research and I can't turn Dogs and Tigers into super soldiers?
Decloak: Are you joking? Please say you're joking...

Of course, but some things go beyond the natural toleration level of nations and demand aggressive action. ;) I'm just saying for the USA, the potential change in parties should be taken into consideration. If either of the parties tries to reinstall Star Wars within the next 10 years, the electorate will go mad over spending even more money on a "useless" project considering the situation of the US deficit :mischief:
Like the electorate is going mad over how the Iraq War is contributing to the deficit, which is generally caused by pork-barrel spending? And, nevermind that all the nascent components of a Star Wars Strikes Back system, including the ABL, the American NMD, the Polish NMD, and various TMD programs are proceeding full-bore, to no tangible public opposition, or are already operational? As are various non-nuclear space weapons programs (including China's, who blew a satellite out of the sky recently despite their "peaceful use of space" mantra)?

I think the one who should consider--or at least cease misrepresenting for the benefit of his own nation in a game--the state of politics is you. :p

P.S. to anyone who hasn't figured it out, alex is like that guy in Assassin's Creed--always waiting to shank you in the back. With that, I leave this thread to its own devices.

Top Bottom