Preferred Religions

Knowing Firaxis, they'll make everyone Christian, seeing as most of the "Christian" civs in G&K only adopted it at gunpoint (literally).

Knowing Firaxis, they'll make everyone Christian, seeing as most of the "Christian" civs in G&K only adopted it at gunpoint (literally).

Which is the case for almost every civ-religion in the game (well, for many it was swordpoint instead of gunpoint, but you get the point)

However, some like Aztecs, Inca, and Maya who were essentially consumed into another culture before they adopted a 'world religion' it would be nice to have it be "Random"

They shouldn't split Islam, the only reason why they decided to split Christianity is simple. 2 reasons.

1. They had the icons and things done for Orthodoxy and Protestanism (from Into the Renaissance), so all they need is copy the XML tags from the TechTree.xml in thes cenario files into the Religion.xml in the folders

2. There is a HUGE demand for CHristianity as I think about 75% if not more civs have that as the first prefer religion. There is not a demand for Islam, and they would need to create new icons.

If they're splitting Christianity into its major factions, they probably should do so for Islam, as well.

Heck, Mormonism is mainstream enough these days that it should probably also get the nod.

They are only splitting Christianity because of the large number of civs that pick it.

There aren't that many Islamic civs (8?) and only 1 or maybe 2 of them would be Shiite (the rest all Sunni).. so there isn't much reason to split them

Wheras for Christianity there are 20+ civs
and at least 4 can be fit into the least common group (Orthodox)

as for Mormonism...No civ (except a "Deseret civ" which is not in the game) has ever been dominated by it, and it has not had that significant an impact on the world (unlike Judaism which led to Christianity and Islam, or Hinduism leading to Buddhism, etc.)

They should add "Animism" as a preferred religion for Zulu, the Huns, Polynesia, the Aztecs and the Incans.

IMO Germany should be Protestant since the reformation started there.

They should add "Animism" as a preferred religion for Zulu, the Huns, Polynesia, the Aztecs and the Incans.

IMO Germany should be Protestant since the reformation started there.

Animism really fits better into Pantheons, as it is not a unified concept (no other religion can be said to have either arisen separately or predated human expansion)

I'd prefer if civs like that (Native Americans, Polynesians, Zulus *) had Random... so they could be Jewish or Sikh.. or they could beat the Byzantines to Orthodoxy

Also Random (rather than "next in list") should be what is picked when someone takes your preferred. (If the one you random has been selected, Then "next in list" is OK)

*not the Huns, Tengriism works well for them. Essentially the civs where
the Religion is a recent import(ie less than a few hundred years) and
they haven't had a chance to make it their own (ie Zulu and Polynesia, although you can easily argue about that in both cases)
OR
they were "consumed" by another culture as the religion came in, and haven't recovered enough for that religion to be well Identified with them (Aztec, Maya, Inca, Iroquois)

Not really... the Native Americans, yes, but otherwise no...

Christianity was brought with a sword to many places in Europe. Crusades were made to regions like Lithuania, Finland etc. Also in Norway and in parts of Germany Christianization was often not that voluntary.

The east Baltic world was transformed by military conquest: first the Livs, Latgallians and Estonians, then the Semigallians, Curonians, Prussians and the Finns underwent defeat, baptism, military occupation and sometimes extermination by groups of Danes, Germans and Swedes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Crusades

Aren't the modern community who identify as Assyrian orthodox Christians?

Because Assyrians are Orthodox Christians.

But they are Oriental Orthodox which is completely separate from and unrelated to Eastern Orthodox despite the similar sounding names.

Oriental Orthodox is the modern offshoots of Coptic Christianity which split from Rome in 451. Eastern Orthodoxy didn't split from Rome until 1054.

Ethiopia is also Oriental Orthodox, not Eastern Orthodox, which means Ethiopia probably no longer has an appropriate historical religion to be programmed with.

(Well, technically, the Assyrian Church is a completely separate denomination from Oriental and Eastern Orthodoxy, splitting from Rome in 431, but most ethnic Assyrians are Syriac Orthodox which is an Oriental Orthodox denomination).

Christianity was brought with a sword to many places in Europe. Crusades were made to regions like Lithuania, Finland etc. Also in Norway and in parts of Germany Christianization was often not that voluntary.[/URL]

Yes, but mostly it was spread fairly peacefully through Rome. And both Lithuania and Norway eventually converted peacefully. (Not that I'm saying it was done nicely, or without horrific pagan persecutions, but war was not the method whereby most Christians were converted. Prussia is the only real example I can think of off the top of my head, as well as the Reconquista. There were more, but most conversions (at least by states, if no the majority of the people) were done peacefully, even among non-Roman successors.

Does anyone believe they will add Paganism? Rome would surely be one civ to adopt this.. and Greeks i suppose. I hope they dont just stop with adding sects of Christianity...

In the Mesoamerican world while Christianity obviously replaced native religions, I don't think its that cringe-inducing that the Maya, Inca, and Aztecs all pick Christianity (probably to become Catholicism in BNW). Catholicism is often mixed with native religions keeping both old cultural norms alive and incorporating the new standards

In the 1840s a new Maya kingdom declared independence and retook various ancient holy cities. The symbol of the new Maya Kingdom was a talking cross, an infusion of Christian and Native beliefs and the flag of the Maya state of Chan Santa Cruz was three crosses on a red background. This new Maya state founded a new religion with its own high priests and a patriarch of the new Maya Religion

Just one example of a Christian combination in the New World

Does anyone believe they will add Paganism? Rome would surely be one civ to adopt this.. and Greeks i suppose. I hope they dont just stop with adding sects of Christianity...

But Paganism isn't a religion, it's just a blanket term to describe someone that worships a polytheistic non-Abrahamic religion.

Hindu, Shinto, Tengri, Daoism, are all "paganism".

The same for someone asking for Animism. Again, animism isn't a religion, it's a term to describe a belief in the spirituality of natural objects. Shinto, Tengri, and to a lesser extent Hinduism are all "animism".

I see no point adding these general categories when they already describe existing included religions. If they want to add representation for Greece and Rome, they'd be better off adding their actual religion and calling it "Hellenism" or something similar.

Animism really fits better into Pantheons, as it is not a unified concept (no other religion can be said to have either arisen separately or predated human expansion)

Well i bet today that there are more branches of "protestantism" then there was original Animist religions.

They should add animism as a general religion to be picked as first choice for many american and ancient civilizations

I'd prefer if civs like that (Native Americans, Polynesians, Zulus *) had Random... so they could be Jewish or Sikh.. or they could beat the Byzantines to Orthodoxy

Also Random (rather than "next in list") should be what is picked when someone takes your preferred. (If the one you random has been selected, Then "next in list" is OK)

*not the Huns, Tengriism works well for them. Essentially the civs where
the Religion is a recent import(ie less than a few hundred years) and
they haven't had a chance to make it their own (ie Zulu and Polynesia, although you can easily argue about that in both cases)
OR
they were "consumed" by another culture as the religion came in, and haven't recovered enough for that religion to be well Identified with them (Aztec, Maya, Inca, Iroquois)
Problem is it's very odd to have these civs, developing Christianity, and they usually come up with enough faith points to do so, I don't think it would be a bad idea to add at least one religion for Native America that is their own, I mean "Aztec" religion was similar to Shinto, and Shinto was on there, why dismiss it as simply a pantheon, Taoism and Confucianism are on there, those are odd choices for religion

Top Bottom