Presidential Pardons?

I'm not sure how to fix it in a way that wouldn't politicize every pardon. There's a need for better transparency. Hell, some guidelines would be nice.

Maybe just get rid of the power altogether?
There actually are current guidelines by the Department of Justice - which the current President ignored on several points in his most high profile pardon.

Nixon's only crime was getting caught.

Please. Do the conservatives a favor and just hush. I mean really. You are now saying things that no one supposedly even 'on your side' will now back you up on.

I've never understood Presidential pardons in the least. It baffles me that a country like the USA which prides itself on it's history of democracy and equality (whether you agree with them is up to you, of course...) should place it's leader above the law in such a manner.

Please. Do the conservatives a favor and just hush. I mean really. You are now saying things that no one supposedly even 'on your side' will now back you up on.

Really? No Nixon fans? Shame. Some of my favorite conservatives are Nixonites.

Really? No Nixon fans? Shame. Some of my favorite conservatives are Nixonites.

I am a fan of what Nixon did right...like with China...but I am not going to make excuses for what he did wrong either.

What conservatives would these be again?

Reagan, Bush I & Bush II have all governed by this exact philosophy. (yes Clinton too)

If Iran Contra or the Iraq War lies had happened in 1971, you bet your ass Reagan/Bush would have been impeached. Like I said, every president since Nixon has committed worse crimes than Nixon.

That's what happens when you send the message, "You can betray your country and the next President will pardon whichever of your operatives happened to get caught. Including YOU, if need be!"

I don't see a conflict here. I guess for someone who's soaked in DeLayan philosophy that the ends justify the means, and that therefore I'd only want to lock someone up if I disagreed with his politics, there'd be a conflict...
Heh, that's funny, given the DNC Chair's statement that DeLay should have been in prison while the investigation was ongoing...

anyway, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

If Iran Contra or the Iraq War lies had happened in 1971, you bet your ass Reagan/Bush would have been impeached.

Sorry, but thats just utter bullcrap and you know it.

Like I said, every president since Nixon has committed worse crimes than Nixon.

More crap.

That's what happens when you send the message, "You can betray your country and the next President will pardon whichever of your operatives happened to get caught. Including YOU, if need be!"

And even more crap. One. Nixon didnt 'betray' the country, although he did most likely break the law. Spying on the democrat party to try to win the election would be illegal....but it wouldnt be treason against the USA.

However, it does bring up an interesting juxtaposition if Hillary gets elected.....do you think she will pardon Bill? :lol:

Sorry, but thats just utter bullcrap and you know it.

Crap!

More crap.

Excrement!

And even more crap. One. Nixon didnt 'betray' the country, although he did most likely break the law. Spying on the democrat party to try to win the election would be illegal....but it wouldnt be treason against the USA.

However, it does bring up an interesting juxtaposition if Hillary gets elected.....do you think she will pardon Bill?

I am utterly unable to find a response to your post, so I will merely say: cow feces to you, sir. GOOD DAY

However, it does bring up an interesting juxtaposition if Hillary gets elected.....do you think she will pardon Bill?
Jesus MB, stop giving me nightmares. :(

Bill wasn't convicted.
But with Hillary as President he will be free to go on a crime spree. Plus, there are a lot of potential convictions out there:

Betty Lou Furbish, Nashville, TN -- This 6 year-old died suddenly of an earache after refusing to listen to a story read by then- Governor Clinton back in 1989.
* Billy Wayne Coe, Stafford, TX -- Died of mysterious causes after ingesting turpentine. Shook Clinton's hand at a rally in 1991.
* Ralph Compton, Paris, TX -- Dallas businessman who died of complications resulting from an ingrown toenail after defeating the President in a game of golf in 1994.
* Calvin Jones, Malibu CA -- Teenager who plummeted 230 feet over the side of a cliff after his skateboard lost a wheel on the same road the President's motorcade had traveled just a day earlier.
* Miriam Wood, Battle Creek, MI -- Tourist sucked into the grave of Alexander Hamilton when Hamilton's corpse first began to spin out of control.
* John Doe #1 -- Unidentified homeless man found along an Arkansas roadway. In his pocket was found a single dollar bill with Robert Rubin's signature on it. Rubin is Clinton's Secretary of the Treasury.
* Melissa Bleary, Phoenix, AZ -- Crushed by a glacier a mere three years after calling Hillary Clinton's health plan "hog wash."
* Ida Mae Jackson, Little Rock, AR -- The coroner rules that this maid of a local Best Western Motel died of heat stroke after her body was found stuffed into an industrial dryer in May of 1990. Rumor has it that she bragged about having a towel with Governor Clinton's "personal seal" on it.
* Gary Lee Hagar, Fayetteville, AR -- Disappeared and was never heard from again after the seat in an outhouse he was using gave way in January of 1992. The outdoor toilet in question was on the grounds of the Arkansas Governor's mansion.
* Linda Satsuma, Washington, DC -- Died of acute revulsion after she inhaled an entire cup of hot coffee into her lungs in April, 1993. The incident occurred as the President jogged past her with nothing supporting his genitalia under his shorts.
* Kelly Roxanne May and Leanne Barrett, Jonesboro, AK -- These roommates long suspected of having trysts with Governor Clinton perished under suspicious circumstances after a tornado picked up their trailer and flung it half a mile in 1990. What the coroner's report fails to mention is that this occurred a full two days BEFORE the beginning of tornado season.
* Max Schraeder, Knoxville, TN -- Clinton impersonator who choked to death on a Big Mac at a McDonald's in Greensboro, NC, in 1995 -- just as he was doing a bit about Mr. Clinton's libido.
* Leia Walker, Chevy Chase, MD -- Died from ingesting a lysteria bacteria contaminated hot dog. Beat out Chelsea Clinton for a ballet solo in 1993.
* Getrude Waters, Omaha, NE -- Died of congestive heart failure at the age of 108. Coroner inexplicably ruled she died of "natural causes." Voted for George Bush in 1992.
* Peter Frank, Hamburg, Germany -- Died January 21, 1918 from influenza. Frank's brother, Fritz Frank, would go on to become a prominent German politician, and a chief supporter of the Clinton administration.
* Simon Rabinovitch, New York, NY -- Died in a car accident June, 1992, after leaving taping of Arsenio Hall show on which candidate Clinton entertained the crowd with his "saxophone." Suspicisouly, the autopsy NEVER CHECKED whether any poison gas dispersed from Clinton's saxophone might have been the cause of Rabinovitch's "accident."
* Anwar Sin Gudfur, Katmandu, Nepal -- Died from injuries received from runaway ox cart on January 17, 1998, the day of Clinton's deposition testimony in the Paula Jones trial.
* Eddie Hazel, Paterson, NJ -- Died December 23, 1992, of complic- ations arising from liver failure. Lead guitarist, arguably main creative force in both of Clinton's well-known funk bands, Parliament and Funkadelic.
* Leo Boecker, Fredrick, MI -- Died of meningitis in August, 1996. Four years earlier, he made the unfortunate mistake of laughing at a Clinton joke at a friend's house.
* Hester Windicott, Washington, DC -- Died from a mysterious, in- explicable skin rash and rattling cough. In 1997, she flipped the bird to the Presidential motorcade when she and her shopping cart were held up for fifteen minutes on 17th St.
* Louis McKenzie, San Jose, CA -- Died of "self-inflicted" gunshot wound from a bazooka. The lifelong NRA member was known by friends and family members to be critical of Clinton's gun control efforts.
* Bowser, East Brunswick, NJ -- Golden retriever hit by a mail truck in September, 1998, after having growled at his master's TV during a broadcast of Clinton's grand jury testimony.
* Marcia Lewellyn, Tulsa, OK -- Died of an allergic reaction to polyester. Had never met Clinton, but was wearing a blue dress from The Gap at the time of her death.
* James B. Hardison, Tampa, FL -- Died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome at age 3 months in July, 1998. Father had publicly expressed doubts as to whether Clinton was innocent of perjury charges.
* Louis Hampton, San Diego, CA -- Self-styled paparazzo who once attempted to photograph Clinton while jogging. Died in hospital of complications after being knocked down and trampled by several secret service men.
* Edward L. Paulson, Kansas City, MO -- Former White House janitor during the Bush administration and first few months of the Clinton administration. Claimed Vice President Gore took away his favorite mop, insisting he use a cheaper one. Died in his home of a broken heart in April, 1993.
* Nearly the entire population of Slant Lick, TN, pop. 848, took part in a mass suicide using doctored McDonald's shakes just a week ago. The only survivor, a mayor's aide named Marlin Batson, said, "During the State Of The Union Address, when he mouthed, 'I Love You' to Hilary, it just pushed us over the edge. We had to end the pain."
* John F. Kennedy, Dallas, TX -- Met Bill Clinton at White House reception in spring of 1963. Assassinated after announcing his ambition to be the last two-term Democratic President of the 20th century. At first there doesn't seem to be a connection, but JFK was a president JUST LIKE Bill Clinton. He was linked to sexual indiscretions JUST LIKE Bill Clinton. And the most damning piece of evidence: close examination of pictures taken of the "grassy knoll" in Dallas' Dealy Plaza on the day of JFK's assassination, using an advanced scanning electron microscope, reveals the shape of a young Bill Clinton "interviewing an intern" behind a bush.
* Nicole Brown Simpson & Ron Goldman, Brentwood, CA -- Two Clinton supporters mysteriously died on Sunday, June 12th, 1994, exactly 327 days after Vince Foster was murdered. Despite repeated calls from respected African-American community activist O.J. Simpson for a nationwide search for the "real killers," Clinton crony Janet Reno still refuses to appoint an independent counsel.
* Arsenio Hall's career, Hollywood, CA -- Died 1992 after an appearance by then-candidate Clinton.
* Bill Maher, Hollywood, CA -- Host of the show, "Politically Incorrect," Maher began to appear increasingly cadaverous during the last few months of the show, and was finally revealed to be an animatronic device provided by ABC partner Disney, Inc. To this day, nobody knows what became of the real Maher, but it is believed that he died as a result of writing numerous jokes about Clinton and the impeachment proceedings.
* Paul McCartney, Liverpool, UK -- Member of pop band "The Beatles." Died and replaced with vat-grown clone after he discovered Clinton hiding from the Draft in England in 1967. If you play the inner track of The Beatles' "White Album" backwards twice, you can clearly hear the words, "Clinton buried Paul."
* Kenny McCormick, South Park, IN -- Oh my God! He killed Kenny!

Top Bottom