Pressing B while selecting a group of cannons and soldiers

vetiarvind

Prince
The key "B" maps by default to "bombard" on cannons and "build city" on settlers, so if you select an army group of soldiers\dragoons and cannons and press B near an enemy settlement your soldiers prefer to build a new town instead of the artillery bombard. :lol:

Possible fixes - 1)prompt a dialog whether to build town. 2)Change default order of processing keyboard shortcut "B" to artillery > soldier. 3)Change keyboard shortcut of one of these.

Although your observation may be correct, it is almost never a good idea to have a group of cannons bombard city walls.
Reason: typically, the cannons with the (highest) promotions start the bombardment, but are also the ones which you want to use for attacking the city.

I second the Commander's statement - bombardment might be better done manually :goodjob:

Another attempt to avoid such "silly settlements": You could do a small XML edit in GlobalDefinesAlt.xml and make it so, that a settlement cannot be founded next to another. In Vanilla - as far as I remember - "city range" is only 1 (allowing close settlements)
If you change the value of the tag MIN_CITY_RANGE to 2, your problem is gone... :crazyeye:

Although your observation may be correct, it is almost never a good idea to have a group of cannons bombard city walls.
Reason: typically, the cannons with the (highest) promotions start the bombardment, but are also the ones which you want to use for attacking the city.

I usually like to bombard until the defense bonus goes down to a low threshold (preferably 0) before attacking so that's not an issue. It's unlikely I always have a doomstack where I bombard and attack in the same turn.

I second the Commander's statement - bombardment might be better done manually :goodjob:

Another attempt to avoid such "silly settlements": You could do a small XML edit in GlobalDefinesAlt.xml and make it so, that a settlement cannot be founded next to another. In Vanilla - as far as I remember - "city range" is only 1 (allowing close settlements)
If you change the value of the tag MIN_CITY_RANGE to 2, your problem is gone... :crazyeye:

Sounds good to me :goodjob: Although I was playing a TAC game while this happened near an Incan city. Maybe Native settlements aren't counted as "cities".

Top Bottom