Preturn information

We are two turns from completing the engine - no sabotage yet!
We still have a spy plated in SABERland.
:dance: That's amazing!! I've been dreading getting this save, since Chamnix seems to have a knack for launching attacks at just the right time. I've been totally nervous he'd hit us with his spies on the inter-turn.

Our odds of winning just went up, I think! :thumbsup:

Expose Saber's Spy, and sink their destroyer! :ar15:
Then there's nothing left to do by keep working aggressively on our backup engine... and sacrifice some dancing fruit :banana: to the RNG gods and hope for the best!

:please:

EWS moves:
Spoiler :
  • Jet NE of The Gulag recons 7SE of The New Yard.
  • Jet in The Treasury recons 5S of The New Yard.
  • Jet in The Treasury recons 5SW of The New Yard.
  • Jet in southern airfield recons 7 SW of The Phoenix.
  • Nuclear sub moves SW-4SE.
  • Jet in western airfield recons 2W-2SW of The Phoenix.
  • Privateer west of The Greenhouse moves 5S.
  • Privateer west of The Marina moves 5SW.
  • Privateer west of The Whale Pond moves 5NE.
  • Privateer east of The Whale Pond moves W-N-NW-W-NW.
  • Privateer northeast of Chamsuri's Cove moves NW-4S.
  • Jet NE of The Gulag recons 5NE-1E of The Chamber.
  • Jet in northern airfield recons the northern most tile in its range.
  • Jet in The Aerie recons 3N-3NE of Chamsuri's Cove.
  • Jet in eastern airfield recons 4NE-2E of Chamsuri's Cove.
  • Jet in western airfield recons 6N-1NE of The Greenhouse.
EWS report:
It doesn't look as though any foreign transports could land in any of our coastal cites or even move adjacent to one.

So I think we just leave the garrisons where they are, shell and sink that cruiser, expose the SAber spy and continue to clear and re-improve tiles around The Silo. Maybe we should improve one more tile near The Gulag. We're at 580 shields so we need 60 more and we're making exactly 30spt. Losing WLTKD would cost us a turn. :eek: Oops, we don't have fireworks there. Must be because we don't have a food surplus. :hmm: We don't have many fireworks at all. We aren't importing any luxuries. Our trade adviser tells me we can't trade with FREE. We are not at war with them. :confused: Looks like FREE has lost some coastal cities. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Maybe their capital was nuked and all the roads cut off. :dunno: Should we trade workd maps with FREE?

Any thoughts or suggestions? I hope to play the turn tomorrow evening (Sunday) in about 18 hours from this post.

good ideas, get that extra tile for The Gulag, improve The Silo and make sure, all important raodfs are covered with worker-slave-pairs.

Increase luxury tax if appropriate. Who needs all that money after all? :smug:

Can anyone explain what happened with our failure to expose Saber's spy?
Is it possible Saber doesn't have a spy planted with us? :confused:

I believe failure is automatic if you try again after a failure on the same turn. I find it veeeeery hard to believe that SABER wouldn't have a spy planted with us.

The only mission that will set the fail flag is to plant the spy, you can fail other missions as much as you want.

I also can't believe that SABER doesn't have spy, the timing of the attack on FREE says they do. Its an 85% chance that we will succeed without regard for the spy surviving for safely. So its a 15% that we were caught before exposing.

So your expose failed for at 15%, and your planting the spy is 50%.

So the event that happened .15*.5*.15*.5=.005625 or 1/2 of a 1%. I guess its possible.

There is a way I can think of that SABER would not have a spy (other then being careless). If they tried to sabotage our production (or any other spying), failed, and failed to replant. That would put us in a really good position. The odds of that are 5% and 40% or .05*.4=.02 or 2%. Not much more likely actually but still possible.

So either we are very unlucky or we are in a good position.

Shouldn't we get a note if their spy failed?

I mean that's why I'm not demanding to install a spy at FREE, because I'd be unhappy if they were upset. But one does not get a notice of an opponents spy's failure? :dubious:

FREE sends us stealth. The Gulag is still only 3 turns away from completing the engine even after being nuked. (So no sabotage yet.) The Silo is 5 turns away. We're down to three privateers so the EWS will be tricky this turn. Will try to find time to do a proper pre-turn (with EWS) tomorrow but have a birthday party to go to. (One of my granddaughters.)

Have fun at the party!
When you do get time to run the EWS etc - if there aren't any surprises, I'd suggest you just go ahead and get the save played, Donsig. (if possible)

Seems like it should be pretty straightforward... prioritize cleaning up The Gulag, secondary emphasis is on boosting production in The Silo, if there are any other cities that could build a nuke in the next ~5 turns, I'd switch them over to building nukes.
Next turn we can try exposing Saber's spy again.

Everything else is peripheral.... unless I'm missing something?

Forgive me if my memory is shot, but why are we building nukes?? Is this a prebuild?

Even if Saber isn't abiding by the No Nukes Ever clause, I feel we're compelled to continue to honor it. I starting looking into Chamnix's claim that we abandoned the treaty about 75 years or so ago, but didn't get far. I understand it must have to do with selling (or trading) Free tech outside of the EXODAT treaty.

It's probably moot because of our (lack of) production capacity - but you're not seriously suggesting we cling to one side of a no-nuke treaty?!? That's the only part of Chamnix's argument I agreed with! :lol:

As for the breach - your guess is as good as mine. I don't know what we supposedly did - but it was my understanding that NOTHING (not a tech breach or even going to war) was supposed to have allowed a violation of the NoNuke clause. But I suppose it's irrelevant either-way now - the time for diplomacy and arguing over treaties ended with the nuclear flash over the Gulag. Sort of makes everyone's position awfully clear, imo.

presumably we have enough workers to get the gulag up to max pop. may be worth building a few more in any case.

Forgive me if my memory is shot, but why are we building nukes?? Is this a prebuild?

We aren't building any nukes, it must have been a pre-build.

I didn't have time to run the EWS yesterday. Now it all depends on how busy my evening job is. When I get an evening off I'll run the EWS and go ahead and play if there are no surprises.

Could we afford to mount a transport and send it to SABERland, just to test if they run their EWS? :groucho:

Just a transport, 2 marines and 2 MA involved to provide some distraction... :backstab:

iirc they need more than three continents and those 5 eleven-tilers to reach 67%.
Otherwise they'D have taken ours... :shifty:

@General_W - according to what Chamnix said, we breached the treaty when we sold (or gave) modern era tech to Free. I still haven't had any free time to devote to this; if we did something in violation of the treaty I'm going to feel absolutely ashamed :blush: I take treaties very seriously, and if we violated it simply because none of us remembered that we could take a certain action, well, that's just inexcusable. These 3-year-long games can be quite trying :gripe:

On the other hand, I agree with your reading that the no nukes clause didn't provide for any exceptions. I'll be very anxious to read Saber's forum to see which of their players are honorable and which aren't.

It does appear we breached the trade aspect of the treaty by gifting techs to FREE. However, SABER agreed to refrain from using nukes on us no matter what and that phrase seems to include the breaking of the treaty itself especially since the no matter what phrase is preceded with never, ever. I don't see how SABER can claim to be honorable.

Turn 300:

FREE sends their world map and we have a new jet in Chamsuri's Cove. We also have a new worker. We only have three privateers left. No SABER or FREE vessels in sight. We still have a spy against SABER. No landings by SABER. The Gulag and The Silo are both three turns from completing the engine. We should put at least one worker/slave pair in position to build a road into The Gulag. The nukes have cut it off which means we cannot join workers in one turn.

EWS:
Spoiler :
Privateer NE of Chamsuri's Cove moves 2SE-S-N-NW
Jet in Chamsuri's Cove recons recons 4N-2NE of Chamsuri's Cove.
Jet in Eastern Airfield recons northernmost tile in its range.
Jet in The Aerie recons 8N of The Aerie.
Privateer north of The Whale Pond moves 5SW.
Jet in the Northern Airfield recons 4NW-1N of The Hideaway.
Jet in Western Airfield recons 5NW-1W of The Greenhouse.
Privateer west of The Dislodged moves 2N-3S.
Jet in Western Airfield recons 2W-3SW of The Phoenix.
Jet in Southern Airfield recons 1W-5SW of The Nursery.
Jet in The Treasury recons 4S of The Nursery.
Jet in The Treasury recons 5S of The New Yard.
Looks like we covered most of the necessary tiles this time. No ships found and any in the fog could only attack some coastal cities but not dock. I think the chances are still low that SABER has any transports in range to do this but if they do and we lose a city we would be able to counter attack next turn. The Nursery and Chamsuri's Cove are the only two cities that could be attacked (ignoring our two one-tile island cities). We are currently garrisoning The Marina and The Squeeze. Not sure if Moving them to the (potentially) threatened cities is wise since SABER has 6 tactical nukes and 16 nuclear subs. Where should we station our land forces?

The Silo has 553 shields and is 87 away form the magic number of 640. It is generating 29 per turn so shaving a turn seems unrealistic.
The Gulag has 607 shields putting it 33 away. It is making 11 per turn, just enough for the three turns. Can't add workers this turn but can position workers to build roads next turn. Still, I don't see us shaving a turn here either.
The Igloo is 48 turns from finishing the engine but it has 497 shields. Making only 3 per turn right now. Might as well begin devoting workers to this city now.
We need aluminum to build the engine so we had better make sure it doesn't get disconnected or we will not be able to switch if we need to. We have only one source, on a hill SW of The Institute. We should put some workers there to be ready to rebuild that road if it is cut. How many worker turns for a road on a hill? Would two workers and two slaves be enough?
We have 21 workers and 14 slaves ready to do our bidding.

We really should ask CommandoBob to send us those luxes. We could use another WLTKD. General W, where are you?

General_W reporting for duty! :salute:
I'll go start on a note to FREE here now...

Someone will need to remind me what happens to land forces in C3C when they get nuked. In light of what happened to FREE, our new prime objective, obviously, has to be preserving enough forces to protect our capital/Spaceship.

I wouldn't worry about shaving turns off either city - let's just try to keep them making progress!
I'm not sure that holding our aluminum is that big of a deal - we're not going to be switching away from either of our Engine builds. More important, imo, is having workers arrayed to quickly rebuild nuked road tiles so that our army can quickly respond to any invasion point. I think we have to assume that the orange invasion will come in the next 2 turns or so. (unless we somehow wildly luck out, and Saber inexplicably missed our engine build in The Silo. :please: )

I presume we'll try to expose Saber's spy at 2-turns-to-launch like last time?

Improving a hill takes double amunt of time compared to grassland. :old:
So three workers will do the job.
Does one get resources from polluted tiles? :hmm:

I'd spread our units on roaded tiles. :shifty:
There's missiles in the air. Let's make them ineffective by spreading our units widely. :p

We should cash-rush settlers (to rapidly join cities) and workers in our harbor towns on threatened shores. We will soon have to disband them anyway to resist a SABER landing after losing our military... :mischief:

Exodus! :run:

Good point about rebuilding nuked roads. Nukes affect a 3 by 3 grid (9 tiles). The tiles become polluted and all improvements are destroyed. Looks like city pop is reduced by half. Not sure how many units are killed. IIRC, The Gulag had a marine left after the first nuke so maybe there is a limit to how many units in a city are killed. We had maybe 8 units in the city when the first nuke landed. We had two jets and two land units on the mountain adjacent to The Gulag and they were destroyed. So, is it better to spread our forces our or put them all in one tile? If the latter, are they safer in a city or in the open? Any nuke experts out there?

I do think the aluminum is important. If it's cut (IIRC) we can continue working on the engine in whatever city was building it (currently The Gulag), but we could not switch one of the pre-builds over to the engine. Remember, only one city can actually work on the engine at a time. Also, aluminum is quite important for military units. If SABER is coming to destroy our spaceship we need aluminum to build armor and we also need rubber and oil!

Top Bottom