PREVIEW: Australian Mod Ned Kelly Leaderhead

mauiduck

Surf Guru
Aloha or G'Day all... :)

As a half-Aussie I thought that Civ III was sorely missing an Aussie Mod. I am working on a complete Mod now with customized leadersheads, .BICs UU, et al. I thought it would be great to make Ned Kelly the leader and after looking at some images of him on the web took a stab at him for the new MP. I will be animating him and putting in the fowns and smiles, etc but first I wanted to get all your feedback if I have a worthy Ned... :). I have him in front of the Sydney Opera House (there is also a new Sydney Opera House GW for the Mod Pack). Also I was thinking about maybe letting Mr. Kelly slowly grey through each era so that in the modern era he has a grey beard and hair and maybe some wrinkles. Anyway lemme know what you think of my Ned and about the aging thing and thanks for the feedback!

Attachments

• ned_kelly.jpg
    ned_kelly.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,413
don't let him age - he'll be an old fart while all the other civs leaders will still be young. Anyway it looks really good, and it doesn't look like any of the other leaders.

heheheh...good one MC..He was a hard bloke to create as his hair, cheek structure and face are very individualistic. I was also thinking about making Ned's face go real red and maybe add some veins around his temples on the Angry images to show him really POed. Any thought on that? In response to Level's question. The unique unit I have planned is the Digger. This WWI era infantry man attacks at 6 and defends 12 (I was thinking about an 11 defend, but noticed that all integers are even and so went to 12 to represent the strong defenders the Diggers were at Gallipoli and Gaza.) The Digger replaces the Infantry for Australia. I think it is a good UU in that it comes along in the middle of the time so it's usefullness isn't over fast like the Jag Warrior and too late like the Panzer. The other thought for the UU was the Bushman. I was thinking about making Bushman a Rifleman type of infantry but to flag it for clearing forests and jungles in addition to being able to attack and defend at the same level as the Rifleman. Any thoughts on either of these UUs? Also tenetively since the Aussies are meant to be played with other "modern" powers, I 86ed the Iroquios because of the Civ limit in Civ III. I haven't started modeling the UU yet so any feedback would be great in addition to any ideas about Angry Ned.... :)

go the digger!

nah just have him frown when POed. if you do, you might have to have ned kelly real drunk (him being a bit irish and all) when he's happy or something

all I have to say is you need to work for Firaxis' graphics team. Make him a bit more 3d, like all the other leaders (especially the beard, so it really stands out), and the age and unique really ticked off look (Veing bulging, and such) and you're on your way to making one unique.

The leaders are fine, but as someone else said, their espressions are all he same.

When ol' Ned gets mad at another civ, you could picture him in his armored helmet, breast plate and rain slicker. That would get the message across that Mr. Kelly is not pleased.

You are going to have a problem with the veins popping out of his neck if his beard covers his neck. Well, Great job on the leaderhead. But don’t you think he is a bit plastic looking? At least you’re in the right direction. Good back round and setting. Best I’ve seen.:goodjob:

What can I say? Love your work.:goodjob:

It kinda puts my Australians mod to shame. I made Barton the leader in my mod, but I couldn't make a leaderhead for him.

Great that someone is doing a mod for us Aussie's...

Ned Kelly is great too..just in case you ran out of ideas though..

Some other ideas for the Leaderhead and UU:

Leaders (Great leaders or Main Leader):

"Breaker" Morant (Boer War)
Edward "Weary" Dunlop (WW1)
Gough Whitlam (was our leader in CTP)
Pauline Hanson <-- Haha!
Don Bradman

If I was doing it I'd keep Gough as our Leader...anyone who's not good enough for the Queen is alright by me....And stick Ned Kelly in as a great leader...Looks like you have already done a fair amount of work on Ned though.

Some ideas for our Unique Units:

Carboneer: The Bush Veldt Carboneers were Breaker Morant's rifle/cavalry squad during the Boer War. They were basically the first instance of "guerrilla" fighters in a european army. Probably a rifleman substitute with 2 movement...or treat all terrain as roads like the old Alpine Troops.. (could also be your bushman unit).

Light Horseman: The light horse led the last successful cavalry charge of modern times. Possibly a "light cavalry" e.g. 4 movement but reduced attack/defense strength.

Catalina Flying Boats: These were large, low flying amphibous aircraft used for recon and troop transport during WW2. Could possibly be a faster "Transport"

Collins Class Submarine: These would be like normal submarines except not invisible and with a chance to sink at random like galleys. Double shield cost too :)

Isn't Ned Kelly supposed to have a bucket on his head? :D

Might make different moods a bit difficult, but from what I can gather he only had one and that wasn't a particularly happy one...

Looks nice! Is it going to be a flic? I suggest giving him a bottle of grog (Mt. Dew). I also suggest not listening to the sane one, but a leaderhead with grog would be exceptional.

Very cool, can't wait to download it, been longing for an Australian Civ for a while.

What do you think you'll start work on next? I've been waiting for a decent Canadian Civ, but its your choice.

Top Bottom