Preview - 'Multisapiea' (DisNES)

Man, I'm really looking forward to this. Hope you get some more recruits soon Dis!

the Kri'tisk are a member of rapidly evolving subgroup of Insects. around 6 million PF, a mutation appeared in(don't know the name of the swamp/floodplain. it's the one in the central part of the map, and has 3 rivers running through it to the sea.) among several insects in the Area, allowing them to grow even larger (the largest of which was a beetle like insect about the size of a human head. it liked to eat trees). Rampart competition and almost not predators inside the swamp it's self literally turned evolution into high gear within the swamp, though the Giant Terror birds that inhabited the plains surounding their domain limited their expansion. eventually, a few species did manage to get through, but the lack of an intial to-hold limited their ability to live in other areas. (there are but a few dozen types of these subspecies living outside this swamp today, while there are several million in the swamp.). but inside the swamp, competition is a bit to feirce.

but the Kri'tisk did not evolve in the swamp it's self, but further south along the coast, between two rivers. around 4 million PH, the forerunners of the Kri'tisk. they were a small, communal, wasp sized insect about the size of a human fist. A queen, and 2-3 drones would build a small hive, usually at the base of a rock. they would have about 30 workers who would travel out from the hive and forage for dropped fruits and small animals, ocasionaly even stealing and egg from the terror birds.. the Queen and the drones would tend to the young grubs, and defend the hive, along with any workers who where home at the times, from any attackers. after about a half a million, a froth cast had developed, the builders, with primitive hand-claws.. they used them to move an integrate small stones into the surface, making the hive stronger and more resistant to attack.

and there they stagnated. a few spicies spun off of them, but the Terror Birds kept there poulation down. and up to 2 million PE, they were stable. then the Terror birds were wiped out by the cold. Kri'tisk's ansectors flourished in the apsence, multiplying and increasing in size to compensated for the cold. and eventually, a population was reached. there were to many. a few of the hives started raiding one another. many died off, but several of them developed Soildiers. the numbers of hives decreased,a nd the bugs got largest as they could claim more territory and support more. the queens stopped tending to the young and went to being solely egg layers.

time passed and about 500,000 PE, overcrowding became a problem again. and in the wars following, they grew smarter. some started using tools, building multi-story hives. some queens started cowaperationg and join their hive to fend off the others. eventually, a balance was reached, and the hives stabilized Wars were constant between the hives, and clashes along their boarders were almost constant.

then about 45PE, a few of the queens relized the wars were doing nothing but drain the hives dry of recorces. and that more then one hive could easily overtake the others. after a series of messages (in the form of drones) were sent between a small cluster of 5 hives, an Aliances was formed, and civilization began for the Kri'tisk. the 5 hives, no longer having to Gaurd their internal boarders with them, were able to easily crush the hives surrounding them. a few other hives joined them, and few other hives created their own Aliances and survived, but the hives have made peace. but the peace is still fragile. will the Kri'tisk grow and expand out of the limited area they are found in, or will they fall once again into internal strife from poulation pressure.

advantages:
highly communal
individual castes that excel at their tasks (construction/invention: builders ; fighting: soilders ; diplomacy: drones)
mindless working caste (free labor. yay.)
Disadvantages:
Hive Loyalty (each hive is loyal only to its self. while the younger hives our more quapertive to each other, they will tend to look out for each other. the pre-war hives are VERY untrusting, only cowaperating because they have to to survive(for if a hive doesn't want to join the Aliance, they are quickly consumed by the other hives.))

that's all I can think of. and a basic history of how I see they evolved in this world. take it, re-write it however you want, or completely toss it out. this has been a fun bit of theocratical evolution. :)

*winces* ow...

sorry, forgot spellcheack befor I posted. and was wrighting with a headache. sorry. will fix it ASAP

edit: fixed. somewhat. it should be atleast readable.

Oh sorry never mind me lol :) :rolleyes:

Lord_Iggy said:
Hey, I like the penguin description. There are just a few things I could suggest for changes (Although you're the moderator, so you don't have to do anything I say. It's a great feeling of power isn't it?)
Hell yeah! :satan:

Lord_Iggy said:
Actually, I pictured them as triple-jointed, one joint less then a human.

Umm have you looked at your hands recently?

Lord_Iggy said:
All true for the moment, but as penguin society progresses, trade and barter(mostly with other species) will develop. And as colonies join together to become nations, they will learn that being territorial between each other hurts everyone in the long run.
Maybe

Lord_Iggy said:
They'd be able to swim better than that! Besides, it'd be unfair to have penguins that weak in the water AND weak on land! How's this for swimming ability:
Excellent swimmers – though not as facile in the water as their primitive cousins due to their greater mass, they can still swim at 20km/h and dive for over 20 minutes to depths of 200 meters. However they cannot range far without support as they must return to land each night to sleep.
That swimming speed is over twice as fast as a normal penguin :eek:! and that has no modifications for tool use and brain size!

Lord_Iggy said:
Penguins can also speak a few of the sounds of 'Human' vocals. They can make the vowels of:
Short I, as in 'Kick'
Short O, as in 'Odd'
Short A, as in AAAHHH!!!

Consonants: T, K, S

This allows penguins to make very limited communication. Let me translate a sentence into what a penguin would say:
So, how's the weather today?
So, a ti iti tita ? *accompanied with wing gestures and rolling head bob emphasising the sentence as a question.
But it is much easier for a non-penguin to learn penguin speech.

That sounds good - remember whne writing that a click sound can be represented as an exclamation mark :)

Lord_Iggy said:
True, but occasionally a great penguin comes along with impressive strength, empathy or intelligence and is revered by normal penguins.
well thats pretty standard

Lord_Iggy said:
Perfect understanding of tools, but as you said, lacking in physical means to use tools- for the moment.
agreed. but robotic prosthetics are a long way off :)

Lord_Iggy said:
A note on penguin weaponry:
Penguin infantry are too weak to hold heavy weapons like humans, so they are strapped to their wings. Current penguin infantry weapons are copper or obsidian blades attatched to the tops and bottoms of the wings (wings are powerful in every direction, but slightly stronger in downstrokes). They wave their wings madly at their enemies, slicing them apart.

Problem - how the heck are they going to swim like that? I also thought of a sort of helmet made of copper with a sharp beak spike for the primary weapon, using the natural pecking action.

@TerrisH: I'll get right on working that up.

Looks like Xindi stuff this NES.

This idea looks extremly nice :) I'll try working out a nice race but dunno about playing :p I will keep an eye on this thought!

Umm have you looked at your hands recently?
Oops.

That swimming speed is over twice as fast as a normal penguin ! and that has no modifications for tool use and brain size!
Okay, howzabout we just make the sapient penguins 66% as fast as a normal penguin. (unless that's what you already did :blush: )

agreed. but robotic prosthetics are a long way off
I was thinking more along the lines of tools specially produced for use with clumsy fingers, not robotic prosthetics.

Problem - how the heck are they going to swim like that? I also thought of a sort of helmet made of copper with a sharp beak spike for the primary weapon, using the natural pecking action.
The helmet and peak spike are good ideas. About the flipper blades, they would have to be removed while swimming. In an amphibious attack, they would be carried in watertight backpacks, strapped on underwater, then the penguins would walk up from the depths, to the terror of the local citizenry!

Picture it!

Mass pandemonium in a northern human settlement.

"The waddling death legions are hear!" screams one person.

"We can do nothing!"

"Retreat!"

"Why aren't we going to fight them sir?"

"Are you crazy? Look at them waddling and waving their wings in front of them! You'd be torn to shreds!"

"Oh no, now they're all out of the water! It'll take them a while to figure out how to open the town gate, but once they're in..."

:lol:

@Iggy, yeah I thought penguins were faster as well - turns out they are just very manuverable and so look faster on camera. What do you mean your not picturing Penguins in power armour :shock: ?!?

Hey Disenfranchised, when are the rest of the species descriptions gonna be ready. I'm really looking forward to this.

Ubber Mega Terran Squid

60 milion years ago first squides evolved from a type of a sea worm that begun developing tentacles. Not far after Squids became on of the main spiecies across the seas, it was only a matter of time, and evolution, until they begun to invade the land.

Pre-Terran squids begun their land walks some 20 milion years ago and begun to evolve a way to breath both air and water quite like amphibians. The first Terran squid apeared about 17 milion years ago in swamps around the equator and it's subspeicies became the dominant animals in shores and swarmplands. 15 milion years ago swamps begun to dissapear as weather became hotter and hotter. As swamps dried the Terran squids begun dying out and thought they still live today it's only in small water holes and tiny swamp areas.

In the place of most terran squids came forward the speicies mega. This squids became larger and larger, able to keep huge amounts in their body and in this way they survived the deadly heat. They lived closed to water usualy and developed a way to keep water in themselves while also slowly skin was being evolved.

Only 10 milion years ago the skinned Mega Terrans apeared and easily took the place of the unskinned mega terrans.

2 milion years ago the pre-ubber mega terran squid apeared. He had a large brain and begun to use tools. While they were smaller the other mega terran squids that could reach 30m lenght from head to hunting tentacles. The pre-ubbers were only around 8m long but using tools they were able to feed on larger mega squids and many other animals that roamed the lands. Thick skin also helped as they did not needed to stay near water any longer with a cooling blood system and water-keeping-begs in their bodies. The first ubber squid only apeared half a milion years ago and became the dominant speicies in any evierment he apeared in.

This ubber squids are social and go hunting together and live together in groups of hunters. They are only meat (and any other living thing) eaters and cannot digest plants. They can reach 10m high above the ground and with hunting tentacles that can reach up to 15m. They communicate using speicel light-cells in their bodies which are pury controlled by their brain. They can change color and create images on their body and a language has been mostly developed but it still lacks. The have no voice.

usualy they walk so it's looks like their lying on the ground while their tentacles move them quickly on the lands. They can always create water jets in their behind to move much quicker. They can live in water when needed but this leads usualy to shorter life (from bout 40 years down to 10 years). They have yet to develop a true culture but ususaly there is one female ubber squid leading the group (usualy the largest one).

thats all I think :)

*whiny voice*Disenfranchised, you said you'd have stats done for the weekend* end whiny voice*

And don't say that your personal life got in the way! Unless you have a dead relative, that's excusable.

As I said in your thread :), my personal life got in the way - what with the massive number of cuts and severed tendons possibly meaning I won't be able to use my hand properly for like ever. (this post took approximately 30 mins to type)

I've got some more surgery scheduled for thursday so if that goes well we'll see what I've got by next weekend.

@erez: sounds good - I'll work on that next weekend. couple of questions -

1.where do the water jets come from (I can see internal stores being enough for a weapon but a propulsion system?).
2.Do they walk like the megasquids from the future is wild? i.e 8 rod like tenticles under the body.

Not octipuses!!!!! Squids :) the more jelly ones :)
1)All squids has jet's where their mouth is. So same place... and theirr ather huge! so they got the water to shot at land and move faster...
2) Not octupis! squids... (with skin now thought). So no they don't move like on legs, rather carry themselves on the lands... i'll make a pic later maybe...

Top Bottom