PREVIEW: staznes XI

I'll have orders in tonight, once I get home from work

Edit: Orders sent

Today was a very long day. We pledge our great purpose to orders tomorrow night!

I'm at a pretty healthy orders total now. I will start doing the bits of the BT I feel comfortable doing with the orders I have now, but you late-senders can keep them coming .

Tonight's the night I'm gonna make it happen
Tonight I'll put all other things aside
Give in this time and show me some affection
We're going for those pleasures in the night

First Tier:
United States of America - SymphonyD
Russian Federation - J.K. Stockholme
People's Republic of China - Shadowbound
India - SouthernKing
Japan - <nuke>
United Nations - ChiefDesigner

Other Player Countries:
Canada - talonschild
Brazil - Lord of Elves
Argentina - yui
United Kingdom - Crezth
Italy - Frozen In Ice
France - bombshoo
Poland - carmen510
Spain - Ophorien
Germany - Immaculate
Turkey - tuxedohamm
Saudi Arabia - madviking
Iraq - Bair_the_Normal
Pakistan - Lokki242
Israel - bestshot9
Syria - arya (Assad)
Egypt - Patchy
North Korea - Ninja Dude
Republic of China (Taiwan) - cristos
Indonesia - Masada
Australia - Grandkhan
Angola - North King
Democratic Republic of the Congo - Bowsling
Nigeria - ~Darkening~

NGOs:
G4S (PMC) - Amesjay
Berkshire Hathaway - Thlayli
Monsanto - The Meanest Guest
Boko Haram &#8211; TheLastJacobite

Most Important NPCs remaining:
Mexico
Venezuela
Colombia
Chile
South Korea
South Africa
Sweden
Vietnam
Thailand
Iran​

Wow, I was expecting a lot more done.

I might sound kind of awkward here, but how much time is actually left? I withdrew fearing I would be on vacation when orders were due (I was) and didn't have time prior to that to send orders (procrastination, then unexpected remodel). If there is still a bit of time left (a few days-week) I might actually be able to send Mexico orders after all.

Wow, I was expecting a lot more done.

I might sound kind of awkward here, but how much time is actually left? I withdrew fearing I would be on vacation when orders were due (I was) and didn't have time prior to that to send orders (procrastination, then unexpected remodel). If there is still a bit of time left (a few days-week) I might actually be able to send Mexico orders after all.

You got time, don't worry :D

Alright then. I'll send Mexico when I have a moment to spare. :)

Can I play as Italy? I can whip up some quick orders if someone tells me how many years the BT is supposed to be for.

REDACTED, GLORIOUS CHINA ORDERS RECEIVED.

thanks shadow :)

Can I join as Al-Shabaab?

Orders for Mexico should be in within 24 hours barring anything blocking my computer/internet access. Assuming of course you're still accepting them.

Double Take, Part I

[tab][tab]From beyond the lip of the cargo ramp he watched neon trails arc skyward in front of white smoke plumes. Tiny text indicated ballistic trajectories, at their bases were squares labeled &#8220;M270 MLRS&#8221; and &#8220;M142 HIMARS,&#8221; and at their heads pulsed burning diamonds labeled &#8220;M30,&#8221; spilling off into range (&#8220;60km&#8221;), submunitions (&#8220;M85, count: 404&#8221;), and on and on if he focused on them. A flash sparked klicks off to the side of the doorframe opposite him and surged off, its tip labeled &#8220;M39&#8221; instead. He ignored it all and looked past the flickering missile launches toward what had seemed an infinite skyline just hours earlier, now lights receding into the distance. PFC Snyder swung the cargo ramp&#8217;s machine gun (&#8220;M240&#8221;) around and blocked his view. He sighed. Night was falling.

[tab][tab]He turned to look up the cargo compartment of the Chinook (&#8220;CH-47F&#8221;) at the rest of Charlie and Delta squads. They were lit up with friendly identify friend or foe labels providing names, gear, health status, on and on. His eyes lingered long enough on each that &#8220;Establish Radio Link?&#8221; prompts appeared over them in turn. He reached a hand up and clicked off the augmented reality overlay. The picture died but the view remained cast in the last rays of daylight: jittery young men checking their weapons, chatting, BSing, meditating, whatever it was they did to psych themselves up. He caught Snyder shifting again out of the corner of his eye and looked back out over the cargo ramp. He could now see the great empty ribbon of the DMZ, marred here or there by a black smudges and tracks of one kind or another. In front of it relative to him lingered black smoke columns, and as they continued on forward the terrain degraded into a moonscape of craters. Artillery and airpower had long preceded them. The sudden crackle of the radio and an insistent flashing at the corner of his glasses compelled him to turn AR back on, lighting the warzone up in brilliant blue and white before he swung to face back up the bay.

[tab][tab]&#8220;Welcome to North Korean airspace, boys,&#8221; said a voice from the cockpit (&#8220;CPT Wu&#8221;), before SGT Jimenez began repeating their preflight briefing. Just like that, CPL Samuel Vickers found himself fighting in the Second Korean War under the newly reactivated United Nations Command.

*​

[tab][tab]As was the usual way of such things, the War had both started the way people thought it would and also completely differently from the way anyone could have predicted. It still wasn&#8217;t entirely clear what had happened or was happening in the Democratic People&#8217;s Republic of Korea, even after a short and incredibly vicious campaign of aerial overkill the likes of which had not been seen since the Gulf War. There had been rumors of a coup d&#8217;etat attempt circulating in the news for a week or two when, live from atop a skyscraper in Seoul, CNN had come on one night with footage of flashes dancing back and forth beyond the DMZ. The next day the torn-up hull of a KPN Najin class frigate washed up on Jangbong-Ri and four hours later a Soviet-era Type-033 (NATO reporting name Romeo class) blew ballast in Incheon harbor, its sailors triumphantly defecting and demanding asylum. North Korea itself remained absolutely silent, even at a diplomatic level. Things got worse from there.

[tab][tab]There were airspace violations. USAF and ROKAF intercepted under the Combined Forces Command several times without incident until there was a shoot-down of a KPAF MiG-21 which may or may not have been trying to defect. For several days nothing further seemed to happen. Then there were isolated artillery strikes that fell on Southern territory. A few impacted harmlessly in the mountains north of Seoul and elsewhere, but eventually a salvo landed in a populated area: an elementary school in Cheorwon County. The final death toll was 164 children under the age of 14, and 27 adults. The South had no recourse left, and within 24 hours took action: as of 0800 hours on July 16, 2019 a state of war existed between the Republic of Korea and the Democratic People&#8217;s Republic of Korea. The Second Korean War had begun.

[tab][tab]The US had apparently known something was going on well before CNN broke their story, and had already been quietly moving carrier groups toward the Korean peninsula, at the same time shuffling air assets across its myriad Pacific bases. United States Forces Korea was placed on heightened alert before the story broke, and that alert was elevated several times before July 16, and the US itself stood (and remained) at DEFCON 3. In the immediate wake of the South Korean President&#8217;s declaration, a seemingly curious thing happened: US President Hillary Clinton announced that the US intended to honor its defense commitments with South Korea, and that both would do so under the aegis of the United Nations Command (UNC).

[tab][tab]Following UNSC Resolution 82 (June 25, 1950) calling for the withdrawal of North Korean forces in the First Korean War, UNSCR 83 (June 27, 1950) recommended &#8220;Members of the United Nations furnish such assistance to the Republic of Korea as may be necessary to repel the armed attack and to restore international peace and security in the area.&#8221; UNSCR 84 (July 7, 1950) further recommended they &#8220;make such forces and other assistance available to a unified command under the United States of America.&#8221; The UNC, as of that time, consisted solely of RoK and US forces, but was swiftly augmented by those of many other nations, and had gone on to prosecute the First Korean War and sign the Korean Armistice Agreement on July 27, 1953. Regarded afterward as something of a curiosity, the UNC had been allowed to act on behalf of the UN and fly the UN flag, but had never been under the command of the UN. Although the 13th Session of the General Assembly of the UN, at the 2409th Plenary Meeting of November 18, 1975 considered &#8220;that it is necessary to dissolve the 'United Nations Command' and withdraw all the foreign troops stationed in South Korea under the flag of the United Nations&#8221; among other things, no UNSC action to such effect was ever taken. On June 24, 1994, UN Secretary General Boutros Boutros Ghali noted in a letter to the Foreign Minister of the DPRK: "I do not believe, though, that any principal organ of the United Nations, including the Secretary General, can be the proper instance to decide on the continued existence or the dissolution of the United Nations Command. However, allow me to recall that the Security Council, in operative paragraph 3 of resolution 84 (1950) of 7 July 1950, limited itself to recommending that all members providing military forces and other assistance to the Republic of Korea 'make such forces and other assistance available to a unified command under the United States of America.' It follows, accordingly, that the Security Council did not establish the unified command as a subsidiary organ under its control, but merely recommended the creation of such a command, specifying that it be under the authority of the United States. Therefore the dissolution of the unified command does not fall within the responsibility of any United Nations organ but is a matter within the competence of the Government of the United States.&#8221;

[tab][tab]And so with the declaration of war on July 16, 2019, as far as the Clinton Administration was concerned, the United Nations Command still continued to exist and function within its original mandate, and given it was never disbanded by UNSC Resolution, did not require another UNSC vote to continue operations to that effect. Congress, having funded the First Korean War on the basis of UNSCR 84 (and with tens of thousands of American troops in harms way in South Korea entering into war on that basis) was left with little choice but to approve appropriations funding. President Clinton, for her part, immediately began soliciting foreign assistance under the banner of the UNC. The most enthusiastic response was to come from an unlikely source: the People&#8217;s Republic of China. Seemingly uninterested in once more facing the prospect of the US on the Yalu River, but likewise this time unwilling for a repeat of its role in the First Korean War, the PRC agreed to provide significant material support for the UNC&#8212;although it declined to do so under US leadership.

[tab][tab]While the politicians wrangled over military assets and aide packages and the United Nations once again de facto went to war with North Korea, the US Navy and Air Force and their South Korean counterparts were already in position and ready to act. Over the course of the first 24 hours of the war, Operation Burning Mountain launched 2,647 sorties against North Korea, and maintained a steady optempo of in excess of 2,000 per day for the next week, doubling the Gulf War average. Primary targets were achieving air dominance, neutralizing weapons of mass destruction, the termination of command and control networks, and suppression of assets on the DMZ, which were estimated to number some 8000 artillery assets largely pointed at Seoul. Unlike in the Gulf War, an extended air campaign to suppress the North&#8217;s fighting capabilities was not viewed as politically acceptable, and so on July 24, the offensive ground campaign began after hurried preparations. Just like that, CPL Samuel Vickers found himself fighting in the Second Korean War under the newly reactivated United Nations Command.

***​

Top Bottom