Problem loading RTW.

gunhawk

Chieftain
After a long absence from my PC I decided to re-load BTS to play RTW. I loaded BTS, noting that patch 3.19 is automatically loaded now, and then downloaded Ultimate Edition and unzipped it to my MODS file. The problem is that after loading it from my "Load a Mod" menu even though Road to War is showing having been loaded in the upper right corner of my menu screen I can't figure out how to start the game. It doesn't load automatically and RTW does not appear in my "scenarios" or "BTS Content" menus. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Once you have installed "vanilla" Civ 4 in C:\Games\Civ4\ all the other expansion packs "Warlords" and "Beyond the Sword" and their official mods will be installed in this folder as well.

The "c:\Program files\" now have different permissions and are restricted. Using a new folder like "c:\games\" avoids this.

Once you have installed "vanilla" Civ 4 in C:\Games\Civ4\ all the other expansion packs "Warlords" and "Beyond the Sword" and their official mods will be installed in this folder as well.

The "c:\Program files\" now have different permissions and are restricted. Using a new folder like "c:\games\" avoids this.

Ok. Just to make sure that I understand you correctly. Do I have to go through this entire reloading and patching sequence:

Install Civ 4 to c:\games\Civ4

patch to 1.61
install Warlords
patch to 2.08
patch to 1.74
patch to 2.13
Install BtS
patch to 3.17
patch to 3.19

or do I just reload Civ4 into c:\games\Civ4 and then reload Warlords, and then reload RTW which automatically loads the 3.19 patch, and then load the ultimate edition?

Please be specific about what needs to be reloaded and patched and in which sequence as some of these patches may now be automatically installed as 3.19 is.

Thanks.

I tried doing this myself, but it didn't work. here's what i did.

-I deleted all of the Civ4 folders to start all over again.

-Created a folder C:\games\civ4

-I installed Civ4 to the path C:\games\civ4 and tested Civ4 which worked fine.

-I checked for updates and download patch 1.74 and installed it and tested Civ4 which worked fine.

-I installed Warlords and downloaded patch 213 and it worked fine.

-I installed BTS and tested it fine. Then i downloaded the patch and ran RTW without any problem.

-I deleted the RTW folder as instructed. The I unzipped UE into the Mods folder which created a new RTW file.

...and i have the same problem that i began with.

"The Road To War" appears in the upper right of the screen, but the game does not start and there doesn't appear to be any way to start it.

Hmm not sure what is going on then. I sorry. Must be another problem.

You could try my mod :D It encorporates a lot of UE features.

Hmm not sure what is going on then. I sorry. Must be another problem.

You could try my mod :D It encorporates a lot of UE features.

I don't mind trying your Mod, but I can't figure out what went wrong with the UE load in the first place, so let me ask you a question. If UE would have been installed and running correctly, how would I actually start the game? After UE is loaded should RTW appear in the "scenarios" and the "BTS Content" menus? Would I click on "scenarios' and then select a year and theater? If I know what was *supposed* to happen maybe I can figure out the problem. Please don't say that it "loads normally". Tell me what I should click on and what should appear.

2nd question: Why wouldn't I have the same problem if I ran your Mod. Do you think that the UE mod that I downloaded is corrupted?

Thanks very much for your help. I'm going to figure this out or die trying. (-:

When I played UE, I would simply go to scenarios, select the one I wanted and the Mod would then load. This is how I started the original RTW ones as well. and how you should play mine :D

When I played UE, I would simply go to scenarios, select the one I wanted and the Mod would then load. This is how I started the original RTW ones as well. and how you should play mine :D

OK. I may done something incorrectly then as I do not see RTW scenarios in my scenarios menu. I'm going to try again and I can use your help please.

1 - Do I remove the current RTW folder first or do I unzip UE with the current RTW folder still there?

2 - If the RTW folder is *not* deleted first, do I place the unzipped folder into the mods folder and unzip it, or do I place it into the RTW folder and unzip it?

3 - Once it is unzipped is there anything else that I need to do before playing the game.

If you answer all three questions I should be fine.

Thanks.

1) I would move the folder to somewhere else.
2) It does matter how you unzip it.

You should end up with a folder similar to this

c:\games\civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\The Road to War\
In this folder it should be the same structure as the original

i.e. you should have in this folder 3 subfolders called Assets, CvGamecoreDLL, PublicMaps and some other files.

What you may have is "c:\games\civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\The Road to War\The Road to War", which will not work.

3: No, just make sure the folder structure of the UE Mod is the same as the "original" mod.

This is why moving it to another location (e.g. c:\temp) is better that deleting it. So you can compare.

Thanks Kiwiit. I have UE running now. I was unzipping incorrectly. i had a feeling that it was my fault, but couldn't figure what I was doing wrong. You were very helpful. (-:

I'm playing the 1939 Europe scenario as the USA and I wondered if Augusta should be in a state of Starvation. I have two unhappy citizens there that won't work and are causing Starvation. Is the game supposed to start that way? There doesn't seem to be any way to correct that as there are no buildings that I can build, nothing that I can trade for, and no civic that I can change that will make them happy and prevent starvation. What can I do, if anything?

I think you will have to solve that one yourself ... what difficulty level are you playing. Try trading for stuff that will make them happy like in normal civ.

I think you will have to solve that one yourself ... what difficulty level are you playing. Try trading for stuff that will make them happy like in normal civ.

I just wanted to know if that was normal or a bug. It didn't seem to make sense to start a country like the USA in Starvation unless it's some kind of game balancing device.

As I said, there's nothing that I can trade for as all of the civs, including mine, show their resources in red.

I'm playing on the easiest level, Settler, just to get my feet wet and understand how the game works.

It would be better to play the 1936 Europe Scenario.

You can probably develop things a bit more, under your control.

Also, reading the threads in this forum, there have been issues with the 1939 scenario. What you have found may be one of them. You may want to read the original 3.17 UE thread for more details. 3.19 was simply a compatibility fix and any issues in the original scenarios will remain.

Top Bottom