Problem updating in windows 10

antgeorg1982

Chieftain
Just reinstalled civ 4 beyond the sword and my favourite mod 'Rise of mankind: A new Dawn'. Been playing for years.

However, I am having a problem when it updates and simply crashes after downloading all the files. When restarting it states 'There seems to be a problem with the previous update. Checking file again'. Tried reinstalling but the same problem.

Wonder if it is filewall or app problem. But not sure what files to allow manually. Any expert assistance on the technical front will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

I second this. I have previously mentioned it in the "AND2 and SVN Bug Reports - A New Dawn 2 ONLY" thread, but no one has seemed to notice my reply. So sorry for intruding your post antegeorg1982.

I have exactly the same problem and it is very frustrating. After encountering the infinite update loop, I attempted to troubleshoot, taking actions such as reinstalling, running with win7 compatibility, running as admin, etc. Nothing worked. I then gave up on updating and hoped to stay with just the original version. Yet even that will not work, as now no matter how I attempt to clear the game files and registry before I reinstall, the newly reinstalled mod simply will not work. I not only cannot start a new game, but also cannot load a previous save, which previously worked completely fine.

I do hope this can get fixed asap. AND is what I consider to be my best alternative history simulation game. Only it has made me feel like actually witnessing the process of rise and fall of civilizations on a time scale of thousand of years.

Is this a problem with the checker (and2_checker.exe)? That is one of the things that I know absolutely nothing about. What is the datestamp on the checker file? The current version on our file repository is 12/1/18. It was reverted to an older version.

There are a couple theoretical workarounds but they may be too complex. There is a way to download each file directly or you could install TortoiseSVN and download the files that way.

Is this a problem with the checker (and2_checker.exe)? That is one of the things that I know absolutely nothing about. What is the datestamp on the checker file? The current version on our file repository is 12/1/18. It was reverted to an older version.

There are a couple theoretical workarounds but they may be too complex. There is a way to download each file directly or you could install TortoiseSVN and download the files that way.

Hey Vokarya! Thank you for your timely reply.

How do I go about checking the datestamp of the checker file? I went into properties and it doesn't appear to have one.

As for the TortoiseSVN solution that you have kindly suggested, are you indicating that we should use the TortoisSVN to obtain the newest version and then extract it?

Moreover, do you happen to know why even after I reinstalled the mod and did not attempt to upgrade it, it is still broken? This is in fact the problem that I am most concerned about. As I mentioned in my previous reply, I can neither start a new game nor load a previous save and play from there, despite of the fact that I completely and cleanly reinstalled the mod. I am worried that even if I install via TortoisSVN, this issue will still persist.

Thank you again for your reply. Fingers crossed that this gets fixed soon so I can dive back into the mod!

EDIT:
Installing via TortoisSVN unfortunately still does not allow me to update the mod, as the upd_proc.exe still stops working (as shown in the screenshot). I then tried to play the mod without updates, and I can start a game perfectly fine. Nevertheless, I still encounter the old problem of CTD upon loading my saved game. I have attached the save file for the experts out there to take a look.

upload_2019-8-14_0-25-36.png

Attachments

• Greece.CivBeyondSwordSave
    753.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
If you're using TortoiseSVN, then you don't have to use and2_checker.exe or upd_proc.exe at all. You do an SVN checkout of https://svn.code.sf.net/p/anewdawn/code/ and that downloads all the files in the mod to whatever folder you select (it's better to download to a separate folder rather than right into the mods directory). Then you export those downloaded files to a folder in the mods directory and you can run the mod from there. This may take a while to do the first time, but after that you can just update and only the files that have been updated will be downloaded. TortoiseSVN will not let you UPLOAD anything without having already had a SourceForge account set up that gives access to the mod files.

When I try and load your save game, I get a message "The save file you have selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your mod folder have not been changed." AND can generally handle changes between versions, but not if "Lock Modified Assets" has been selected. I don't know enough about save games to be able to fix that.

When I try and load your save game, I get a message "The save file you have selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your mod folder have not been changed." AND can generally handle changes between versions, but not if "Lock Modified Assets" has been selected. I don't know enough about save games to be able to fix that.

Hey Vokarya. Thank you very much for your tip about the Lock Modified Assets option. I think that was exactly what messed all my save games up regardless of the version of the mod. By utilizing the TortoiseSVN method, I now have successfully installed the newest version, and can play and load the game normally as long as the Lock Modified Assets option is not selected.

Again thank you very very much. I almost have given up on fixing this issue after trying different methods to no avail for nearly two months! Glad it is finally up and running again.

Hey Vokarya. Thank you very much for your tip about the Lock Modified Assets option. I think that was exactly what messed all my save games up regardless of the version of the mod. By utilizing the TortoiseSVN method, I now have successfully installed the newest version, and can play and load the game normally as long as the Lock Modified Assets option is not selected.

Again thank you very very much. I almost have given up on fixing this issue after trying different methods to no avail for nearly two months! Glad it is finally up and running again.

Lock Modified Assets would cause that problem. AND uses a different file format that can handle major changes to the mod. (There are a few things it can't handle; adding or removing an entire unit combat class or a terrain type would permanently break saves.) But Lock Modified Assets won't let you even make trifling changes without locking you out.

Top Bottom