Problem with Advanced Start

Derax

Chieftain
Hi, I've been looking for the solution for my problem for quite a long time now, but now 've decided to register :)

I'm using the German version of BTS (last Update I think although I had to download it manually) and I absolutely do not know how I can use the advanced start like in the charleg. scenario.

Can some1 explain this to me pls, or show me where I can find a good guide?

The only thing I actually CAN do is make the advanced start being created automatically, (the Icon among the tower bottom in the lower bar).
I've tried everything but usually I'm ending up pressing every key, nothing happens :(

Thank you,

Same here - german version and I can't use the charlemange advanced start.

Is this a bug? Or has anyone a solution?

Derax,

Are you trying to play the Charlagmane scenario or use the regular game head start?

To use the regular game head start you need t odo the following:
1) go to Custom Game from the Main menu
2) check the box for Advanced start (bottom half of the screen, middle column
3) In that column a box will appear with the amount of gold you have to spend on your initial empire. Edit this to your hearts content (the initial value of 600 gold will nbot go very far)
4) If you want to start in a later technology period, BE SURE To change it on the left where you make changes to the map settings, under Starting Era.

Now once you are in the gameyou will have a little menu in the bottom center (you might have to click on one of its edges to move it so you can get to the screen below it (the one which says that you have been chosen to guide your empire yada yada yada, and lists your starting techs and stuff).

This menu is very straight forward. The first thing that is available is your city placement., it is under the city tab, and looks like a little city icon. There is also a person icon (population) and a culture icon). There is also an improvement tab, a unit tab and a tech tab

Buildings, Units and Improvements are only available if you buy the required techs. Buildings are found under the city tab.

To Buy a Technology, click on the TEch Tab, then on the beaker icon. THis takes you to the Familiar Tech Tree/Science Advisor SCreen. Highlight the tech you want ot purchase, and then click on "Add" in the bottom right. You can only purchase one tach at a time, so if you want to purchase a tech that requires a pre-requisite, you have to buy the pre-req first. In other words, you cannot buy the tech you want and all its pre-reqs by only clicking the "add" button one time.

The down sides to the advanced start options are as follows:
1) You can only place your cities within a certain initially visible area (outlined in white when you start, though from my experience, the white outline disappears if you choose to regenerate the map, but it is pretty easy to figure out where you can and can't place stuff).

2) You can then only place improvements within your cultural borders (ie no roads outside your lands)

3) Can only purchase a limited number of units, based upon the number of cities you buy (I believe it says a max of two per city, but it isn't readily clear if this is two of each type per city or two units per city (ie if you have 3 cities, then 6 units max, vs. 3 cities = 6 settlers, 6 spies, etc... my experience is that is not quite either of these).

4) Realistically, you can only purchase up to 3 cities (if you want to avoid fat cross overlapping) as they all have to be placed within a certian inital area, that you cannot expand. (Unless you place a city on the edge of this area, and expand its culture so far that you can place a second city in its borders so that their Fat Crosses do no over lap. But Culture is expensesive.)

5) AI never founds religions. (from what I have seen starting in the acient era)

6) Your Capital never founds a religion.

It seems to be the Charlegman Scenario is bugged, I was looking, as you asked, if i faced the same problems with the advanced start when staring a nomral game. There, however, everything worked absolutely fine and the same way how you nicely explained it.
In the ger version of the charlegm.(?^^) scenario it is not possible to make build cities during the advanced start ;(

Thank you both for your help!

Hope firaxis will bugfix it soon :)

PS: Maybe it helps when i change the langugage, must look into it this evening...

I tried to change the language to english. Didn't work. Then I tried to use advanced start in the normal game, and it didn't work either. I have found the city icon, but neither clicking on it or clicking at the coloured visible spots on the map, beeing it right-click or left-click worked. I also havn't seen the "add"-button in the tech tree. If i click on a tech it says in the bottomline: cost 0. I have tried to click on visibility and terrotorium and havn't seen anything happen, also with ressources. Improvements also didn't seem to function. (I have used the autobuild - that goes well - and there where over 100 gold left, and I couldn't do anything either.)

Normaly I am not THAT stupid. Is there any secret? Like, pat on your own had and dance in circles while you click on the buttons? Seriosly, I think advanced start is broken. If Derax hadn't said he used it with the german version...

PS: I try to look for a manual patch. Derax said something about it.

I also have the german version, installed in english though. I just checked and for me, the Charlemagne scenario works fine.

I was able to click on the city symbol, then on a spot on the cross-hatched (schraffiert) field and the city was found.

The tech tree worked for me too, make sure to click on the blue boxes containing the techs you haven't researched yet, not the green ones. If you then click the "Add Tech" button, the tech is researched and the color changes to green.

Rince

I installed the patch 3.02 manually and then all was ok. Before that the auto-updater was stuck with 3.01. Don't know if this was the reason, but now it works - the charlemagne szenario as well as vanilla. Haven't changed the language back to german yet, but thats not important enough for me.

YEAH! I downloaded the file but didn't think of installing it afterwords ^^ No everthing is just FINE!!!!!!!:crazyeye:

Top Bottom