Problem with mines

bearbomber

Chieftain
According to Civipedia mined hill/mountain should produce 3 shields but when I build mine on either one it only produces 2 shields, like any other tile. Am I doing something wrong?

From the Civilopedia ~

Governments ~
Despotism​

In addition, any city production square which produces more than two Food, Shields, or
Commerce in a despotic government instead produces one less.

This means that while in this form of goernment, any tile that would normally produce 3 shields (or whatever) will only produce 2 shields (1 less than 3).

he covered the reason why above

but don't mine hills or mountains in despotism. takes too long and wastes worker turns

road them only if it's absolutely necessary

wait until you're into republic and have your main cities roaded and irrigated/mined

leave the hills and mountains for last

he covered the reason why above

but don't mine hills or mountains in despotism. takes too long and wastes worker turns

road them only if it's absolutely necessary

wait until you're into republic and have your main cities roaded and irrigated/mined

leave the hills and mountains for last

I would only put a road on a hill if It has Iron on it or a lux like wines

if it has iron then the mine will add +2 since iron is +1 and in a good government it would yield 4

if it has iron then the mine will add +2 since iron is +1 and in a good government it would yield 4

It does give 1 extra shield but id rather just focus on irrigating and connecting to lux and building roads inbetween cities, I only focus on mines if Im really trying to get a wonder early on.

I would only put a road on a hill if It has Iron on it or a lux like wines

this is a good reason. sooner you have horses or iron hooked up, the sooner you can ditch the archers

lux also, especially if you're playing regent or higher. you really need that first luxury to fight disorder

still, i'd use at least 3 workers for it. especially gems in mountains

this is a good reason. sooner you have horses or iron hooked up, the sooner you can ditch the archers

lux also, especially if you're playing regent or higher. you really need that first luxury to fight disorder

still, i'd use at least 3 workers for it. especially gems in mountains

It really depends on what the map looks like and where the Iron is, if the map is small I would suggest horsemen since a blitz with them can keep the enemy at bay and if cities have some distance swordsmen take to long to get there, but if you've got some good infrastructure then swordsmen would be a good idea. As for mining Iron I would wait till getting into republic or monarchy since Its not really worth the +1 extra shield unless your trying to build a wonder. Depending on where the gems are, I wouldn't use 3 workers to hook them up just yet since making workers early on takes some time, I would rather have them irrigate or making roads inbetween cities, I would go for other lux like wines or ivory but if gems is the only option on the map then hook them up i guess.

It really depends on what the map looks like and where the Iron is, if the map is small I would suggest horsemen since a blitz with them can keep the enemy at bay and if cities have some distance swordsmen take to long to get there, but if you've got some good infrastructure then swordsmen would be agood idea. As for mining Iron I would wait till getting into republic or monarchy since Its not really worth the +1 extra shield unless your trying to build a wonder. Depending on where the gems are, I wouldn't use 3 workers to hook them up just yet since making workers early on takes some time, I would rather have them irrigate or making roads inbetween cities, I would go for other lux like wines or ivory but if gems is the only option on the map then hook them up i guess.

good points

if the civ i'm playing as has a horse UU, then i will get horses, hold off attacking, get markets, harbours and libraries down, then attack with chivalry

otherwise i'd prefer swords. the simple fact is that one on one, on flat ground, a swordsman will win 66% of the time against a spearman, that is fantastic odds for a human player

and most of the time, you will face spears in that era, and no one is stupid enough to attack cities on hills or over rivers

no lux at the start really hurts. even just one makes all the difference between 20% and 40% on the lux slider

i don't really do wonders in the ancient age. unless i've a fantastic capital and can get 12-15 shields at size 5-6 and i have another city for settlers, and a third for workers...sure, i'll shoot for a wonder in that case

mainly though, i use the ancient era wonders as prebuilds for sun tzus and leonardos

Top Bottom