Problems Replacing Trading Post Improvement Graphics?

bouncymischa

Synthetic Genie
I've made good progress with my post-apocalyptic improvements mod, replacing a number of existing improvement models -- Ancient Ruins, Barbarian Encampments, Citadels, Forts, Academies, and Holy Sites so far. I was planning to go ahead and publish it this weekend, but wanted to try and replace the existing Trading Post graphic with one of the outpost graphics I'd made. Unfortunately, no matter what graphic I try to use to replace the Trading Post with, it won't show up in the game. All of my other replacements show up fine, so it's not a problem with the graphics themselves.

Looking at some past threads, I saw that it was mentioned that graphics which are era-dependent require somewhat different code in their art defines. The ones I've replace so far aren't era-dependent, but seeing as the Trading Post is, I suspect that this is likely the issue. I've tried defining both Ancient and Industrial era graphics, but I'm still running into the same issue, so I'm not sure if there's something else I'm missing.

Anyone have any advice?

I did some test on trading post graphic some time ago.

The only way to replace it I'm sure of is to name the art files like the vanilla ones.
No need for art defines, they'll replace the vanilla files automatically.

I wasn't able to replicate on another improvement the random effect that the trading post have together with the era variation.
I think it's hard-coded, so, this might explain your problem if you're trying to replace the art defines.

In my experience, the way I mentioned is the only one who works. I was able to replace the new TP graphics with the old one this way.

Hope I've been helpful.
Ulixes

Hmm... I'm guessing renaming the .fxsxml file would be enough? Since that's the one that the art define points at.

I haven't been able to track down where the art define files are located for improvements... does anyone know where they are?

I just saw your reply:

They are located in 'ImprovementModels.fpk' (I use Dragon UnPACKer to extract or just view into the fpk files).
In theory, replacing only the fxsxml should be enough ONLY if you rename all the files inside it, but I did not tested it.

Personally, I replaced everything:
(these are the ones I use that directly replace the TP vanilla files):

Spoiler :
fx_triggers_pl_med_trading_post.ftsxml
fx_triggers_pl_mod_trading_post.ftsxml
hb_med_trading_post_decal_d.dds
hb_med_trading_post_decal_h.dds
hb_med_trading_post1.fxsxml
hb_med_trading_post1.gr2
hb_med_trading_post2.fxsxml
hb_med_trading_post2.gr2
hb_med_trading_post3.fxsxml
hb_med_trading_post3.gr2
hb_med_trading_post4.fxsxml
hb_med_trading_post4.gr2
hb_mod_trading_post_decal_d.dds
hb_mod_trading_post_decal_h.dds
hb_mod_trading_post1.fxsxml
hb_mod_trading_post1.gr2
hb_mod_trading_post2.fxsxml
hb_mod_trading_post2.gr2
hb_mod_trading_post3.fxsxml
hb_mod_trading_post3.gr2
hb_mod_trading_post4.fxsxml
hb_mod_trading_post4.gr2
med_trading_post_decal_diff.dds
med_trading_post_decal_h.dds
med_trading_post_decal_s.dds
med_trading_post_diff.dds
med_trading_post_sref.dds
med_trading_post1.fxsxml.dds
med_trading_post1.gr2
med_trading_post2.fxsxml
med_trading_post2.gr2
med_trading_post3.fxsxml
med_trading_post3.gr2
med_trading_post4.fxsxml
med_trading_post4.gr2
mod_trading_post_decal_d.dds
mod_trading_post_decal_h.dds
mod_trading_post_decal_s.dds
mod_trading_post_diff.dds
mod_trading_post_sref.dds
mod_trading_post1.fxsxml
mod_trading_post1.gr2
mod_trading_post2.fxsxml
mod_trading_post2.gr2
mod_trading_post3.fxsxml
mod_trading_post3.gr2
mod_trading_post4.fxsxml
mod_trading_post4.gr2
pl_med_trading_post.dds
pl_med_trading_post.gr2
pl_med_trading_post_decal_d.dds
pl_med_trading_post_sref.dds
pl_med_trading_post1.fxsxml
pl_med_trading_post1.gr2
pl_med_trading_post2.fxsxml
pl_med_trading_post2.gr2
pl_med_trading_post3.fxsxml
pl_med_trading_post3.gr2
pl_med_trading_post4.fxsxml
pl_med_trading_post4.gr2
pl_mod_trading_post_decal_d.dds
pl_mod_trading_post_diff.dds
pl_mod_trading_post1.fxsxml
pl_mod_trading_post1.gr2
pl_mod_trading_post2.fxsxml
pl_mod_trading_post2.gr2
pl_mod_trading_post3.fxsxml
pl_mod_trading_post3.gr2
pl_mod_trading_post4.fxsxml
pl_mod_trading_post4.gr2

I did a search using AgentRansack for files that matched Civ5ArtDefines* but all that came up were the files for the DLC and expansion stuff. And they are just scatter-shotted all over the place as far as I could tell so far as where they are located.

Couldn't find anything that contained the Trading Post Info. Which merely means Firaxis naming conventions for files ~= consistancy, or else they're in one of those 'packed' files.

Yeah. The problem is that there are four (4!) different definitions for the Trading Post.
I kind of forgot about this until Ulixes posted, but I do recall I looked this up in the past for him and found out about the 4 different "types."

About the Trading Post Art Defines,

it is possible to see them using SQLiteSpy:

Spoiler :
INSERT INTO ArtDefine_Landmarks(Era, State, Scale, ImprovementType, LayoutHandler, ResourceType, Model, TerrainContour)
SELECT 'Ancient', 'UnderConstruction', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST1', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Medieval/HB_MED_Trading_Post1.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 'Ancient', 'Constructed', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST1', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Medieval/MED_Trading_Post1.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 'Ancient', 'Pillaged', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST1', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Medieval/PL_MED_Trading_Post1.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Industrial', 'UnderConstruction', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST1', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Modern/HB_MOD_Trading_Post1.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 'Industrial', 'Constructed', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST1', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Modern/MOD_Trading_Post1.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 'Industrial', 'Pillaged', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST1', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Modern/PL_MOD_Trading_Post1.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Ancient', 'UnderConstruction', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST2', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Medieval/HB_MED_Trading_Post2.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 'Ancient', 'Constructed', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST2', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Medieval/MED_Trading_Post2.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 'Ancient', 'Pillaged', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST2', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Medieval/PL_MED_Trading_Post2.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Industrial', 'UnderConstruction', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST2', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Modern/HB_MOD_Trading_Post2.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 'Industrial', 'Constructed', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST2', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Modern/MOD_Trading_Post2.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 'Industrial', 'Pillaged', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST2', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Modern/PL_MOD_Trading_Post2.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Ancient', 'UnderConstruction', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST3', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Medieval/HB_MED_Trading_Post3.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 'Ancient', 'Constructed', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST3', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Medieval/MED_Trading_Post3.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 'Ancient', 'Pillaged', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST3', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Medieval/PL_MED_Trading_Post3.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Industrial', 'UnderConstruction', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST4', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Modern/HB_MOD_Trading_Post4.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 'Industrial', 'Constructed', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST4', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Modern/MOD_Trading_Post4.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 'Industrial', 'Pillaged', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST4', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Modern/PL_MOD_Trading_Post4.fxsxml', 1;

SELECT 'Ancient', 'UnderConstruction', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST4', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Medieval/HB_MED_Trading_Post4.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 'Ancient', 'Constructed', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST4', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Medieval/MED_Trading_Post4.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 'Ancient', 'Pillaged', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST4', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Medieval/PL_MED_Trading_Post4.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Industrial', 'UnderConstruction', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST3', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Modern/HB_MOD_Trading_Post3.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 'Industrial', 'Constructed', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST3', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Modern/MOD_Trading_Post3.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 'Industrial', 'Pillaged', 1.0, 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TRADING_POST3', 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'Assets/Buildings/Improvements/Trading_Post/Modern/PL_MOD_Trading_Post3.fxsxml', 1 UNION ALL

In the thread DarkScythe recalls (Hi!:)) (and especially in its continuation in the Pazyryk thread) I was looking for a way to implement cultural variation for improvements.

There, we discovered many things, among them, the 4 Trading Post Art Defines.

I feel so stoopid. Yeah, of course the best place is to look in the actual game database rather than hunting for them in the game's spaghetti-hash of files. :)

Welcome to the club :)

Learning modding made me feel stupid many times! :blush: (and surely it will again)

Top Bottom