chastok

Chieftain
System:
Athlon XP2800+
1 gig of ram
Diamond S85 128mb DDR Radeon 9250 PCI
driver version: 6.14.10.6483
Win2K

When running v1.0 I really didn't notice any serious issues. Iron works didn't work. The movies all seemed jumpy. The game played fine.

Loaded the patch. No issues there as I loaded using the built in process.

Now I can't play more than a turn without a crash to desktop.
When I turn on the shields and coins indicators, I get black boxes.
Every once in a while, while scrolling I get a freeze and a completely blank terrain only map view for maybe 30-60 seconds.

Will try to update video drivers, but I do not suspect that's it as the game played fine before and it's played every game I ever tried without an issue.

If I get the crash again, then it's complete uninstall and go back to the 1.0 version.

Thanks for your time.

I downloaded and installed the 1.09 patch from within the game. No problems there whatsoever. I didn't have any problems playing before, only some unstability while in the game list for multiplayer (some times it CTDed with out any warning or error message). The intro movie had no problems, but the in-game movies where choppy (halting every second or so, then continuing with a hiccup, both video and audio).

After the patch, still have no major issues, game plays as it used to. The multiplayer game list unstability remains, but I think it is less frequent now and it includes a nice? windows error. At least they got rid of the jumping list :)

The in-game movies are still being choppy, but nothing I can't live with. Now... the translation... Did they actually translate the patch? Because (I have the spanish EU DVD version) I get a lot of 'spanish' place holders. For example, Options screen, video settings: the options for Full screen mode and Low resolution texture are both shown as 'spanish'. In the game list for multiplayer, the games that have a ping 0 are shown as being spanish instead (as an afterthought it would be nice to now more about the game you are about to join as in knowing: time since it started, available civs, speed of game and timer, language of the players...)

Again nothing I can't live with, as I said at the start CivIV worked for me before, and it still does after-patch. Just to let Firaxis now (in case they DO read this bug posts, is there any 'official bug list post for Firaxis'?).

After having CTD issues after installing the patch, I went out and got the latest driver set and it seems like all crash problems are fixed. So, somehow, the game worked fine with the older drivers under 1.0.0 but under 1.0.9 they required the latest. Go figure. Happy it works. Good luck to all (and update those drivers).

(1) All my loading of ver 1.00 games has the date set back a full 10 turns.

(2) The tutorial still doesn't have any white circles in the city screen where Sid talks about them.

Top Bottom