Processors...

I need proof to believe that

Here is a comparison of Pentium M vs Pentium 4.
In the gaming benchmarks, though mostly GPU limited, the Pentium M 1.6 GHz is roughly on par with the Pentium 4 3.2 GHz.

I concede that later, faster Pentium 4 iterations will fare better, so the 4 GHz = 2GHz is a bit misleading. On the other hand, you do probably not want to have those later, more powerful models in a notebook with their 60-90W TDP.
Should better have formulated it "Core2Duos and their predecessors will be up to twice as fast per core at the same clockspeed as pentium4s found in a notebook"

Edit: Things look even worse for Netburst when comparing E6300 (1.86 GHz) with Pentium EE 965 (3.73GHZ)

Here is a comparison of Pentium M vs Pentium 4.
In the gaming benchmarks, though mostly GPU limited, the Pentium M 1.6 GHz is roughly on par with the Pentium 4 3.2 GHz.

I concede that later, faster Pentium 4 iterations will fare better, so the 4 GHz = 2GHz is a bit misleading. On the other hand, you do probably not want to have those later, more powerful models in a notebook with their 60-90W TDP.
Should better have formulated it "Core2Duos and their predecessors will be up to twice as fast per core at the same clockspeed as pentium4s found in a notebook"

Edit: Things look even worse for Netburst when comparing E6300 (1.86 GHz) with Pentium EE 965 (3.73GHZ)
Interesting, the C2D gets 2xIPCs as a Pentium 4 while the AMDs get ~1.5xIPCs as a Pentium 4

I was worried C2D meant "Crash 2 desktop", but I see I'm wrong.

How soon will sandy bridge come out? That will cause a drop in prices won't it?

Here is another vote for a Core i3, i5, or i7. The performance jump combined with the lower power use (especially important for a laptop) just blows the Core2Duos out of the water. I guess it probably isn't that noticeable with a Core i3, but the i5 I have smokes a similarly equipped computer that has a Core2Duo.

My 2 cents.

C2d are a leap above p4s tho arnt they?

C2d are a leap above p4s tho arnt they?

hell yes, a Core Solo at ~2GHz is more powerful than all Pentium 4s

the Core iX don't use less power, especially if you previously used an Nvidia IGP as Northbridge in the predecessor
Core i3 Mobile TDP=35W
Core 2 Duo Mobile TDP=25W

TDP is not the same as actual power usage. You have to take into consideration idle usage, which quite frankly is what the CPU will be doing most of the time. The Core iX downclock real low when idling and their power usage drops down by quite a bit. The lower-end i3's probably get into single digits for power draw.

TDP only means it's designed to disapate up to that much power. In fact, I like that the max TDP for a Core i3M is 35W vs 25W. Means I get more CPU power when I do need it while at the same time getting low power draw when I dont need the CPU.

TDP is not the same as actual power usage. You have to take into consideration idle usage, which quite frankly is what the CPU will be doing most of the time. The Core iX downclock real low when idling and their power usage drops down by quite a bit. The lower-end i3's probably get into single digits for power draw.

TDP only means it's designed to disapate up to that much power. In fact, I like that the max TDP for a Core i3M is 35W vs 25W. Means I get more CPU power when I do need it while at the same time getting low power draw when I dont need the CPU.

proof is in the pudding

Thats a benchmark run which is the exact opposite of what I was talking about. You're not gonna have your laptop run CPU-intensive apps when you idle will you?

Also, notice on your graph -- the minimum power consumption is lower for the Core i5 than the C2D. Which just further proves my point.

Thats a benchmark run which is the exact opposite of what I was talking about. You're not gonna have your laptop run CPU-intensive apps when you idle will you?

Also, notice on your graph -- the minimum power consumption is lower for the Core i5 than the C2D. Which just further proves my point.
correct, I found information that proved me incorrect so I thought I would share it and admit I was incorrect

Ah right on. I misinterpreted that post then.

Top Bottom