Procylon's Call to Power Project

Any thoughts on adding a bit more happiness to the early (small and medium) resources buildings? Know happiness usually goes overboard (had one game in previous version with over 500 late game) as you get the right policies and start building colisseums/theaters, but luxery resources helped hold it over until then.

Been playing on prince w/ arabia, wondering how the AI managed to get 5 higher pop cities in early/classical era. I had several small resource buildings and temples, been stuck with negative unhappiness with 3 cities (6 pop in capt, 1 pop in the others), barely keeping it out of double digits where the production hits start. Starting to get out of it, but all the slowed growth is leaving me behind in techs and production, and far less expanded. Miss the 5 happiness from luxeries, and just not sure how to compensate early.

yes thats what im saying the palace science value is having a huge effect on marathon game tech pace it tripled starting science.
So? Unless you plan on winning before you get any tech, isn't that fairly irrelevant? Growth should have more effect than 1 science...

Also, umm, the early happiness deficiency also cripples expansion strategies in the short and lonng term because small cities can't really output enough happiness to maintain a positive value. Growth is crippled in an expanding empire, which doesn't make sense to me.

I spoke too soon. I started a new game today, by turn 81 I'm having multiple scroll crashes. I've never seen this game collapse so early.

I think the science on marathon is just about spot on. I hated the fact of how long it took to generate science..im mean .5/pop? Yuck. Maybe 1.5 is too much, but anything less than 1.o just makes the game boil down into countless turns of never getting anything, since happiness doesnt really start ramping up til you get the buildings for it, and even then, still takes awhile. I only can manage about 2 or 3 cities with positive happiness, and by the time i get the new trade buildings researched and built, its already close to 0AD. The AI, seems to completely ignore them, yet somehow does still continue to grow, not sure how they do it.

I think the science on marathon is just about spot on. I hated the fact of how long it took to generate science..im mean .5/pop? Yuck. Maybe 1.5 is too much, but anything less than 1.o just makes the game boil down into countless turns of never getting anything, since happiness doesnt really start ramping up til you get the buildings for it, and even then, still takes awhile. I only can manage about 2 or 3 cities with positive happiness, and by the time i get the new trade buildings researched and built, its already close to 0AD. The AI, seems to completely ignore them, yet somehow does still continue to grow, not sure how they do it.

The AI cheats, and cheats HARD at happiness. On top of the happiness buff for the level of difficulty you play on, it also gets extra 1 happiness per luxury, a lowered population unhappiness mod, less unhappiness per city founded, and higher default happiness on any level above chieftan. This adds up to what amounts to near limitless happiness.

There are I think two policies that say 50% of happiness goes to science. Unlike the similar ones that do excess happiness turns into culture, these ones add 50% to your science if your empire is happy. Having both of these is double science while happy. Is it meant to function this way?
[This is in the second most recent version, haven't tried the March 6 one yet, but it's probably still the same.]

There are I think two policies that say 50% of happiness goes to science. Unlike the similar ones that do excess happiness turns into culture, these ones add 50% to your science if your empire is happy. Having both of these is double science while happy. Is it meant to function this way?
[This is in the second most recent version, haven't tried the March 6 one yet, but it's probably still the same.]

i think it is so if you have 10 happiness then you get 5 science
not to give science 50% bonus overall but to use the happiness to boost the science a little.

Ironworks provides roughly 20 production. Not as much bang for the buck.
New resource system makes a tiny empire incapable of exploiting the mechanic.
This means culture victory is less viable, as is the GS science route.

Ironworks will be fixed with the next update.

Not too worried about small empires. If anything I would make the culture victory more suitable for large civilizations, though I would have to fix the AI. Sounds like they are going OCC on us.

A small empire in call to power would be 20-30 cities. :)

yes thats what im saying the palace science value is having a huge effect on marathon game tech pace it tripled starting science.

Can you give some examples, such as year you made it to classical/medieval?

Any thoughts on adding a bit more happiness to the early (small and medium) resources buildings? Know happiness usually goes overboard (had one game in previous version with over 500 late game) as you get the right policies and start building colisseums/theaters, but luxery resources helped hold it over until then.

Been playing on prince w/ arabia, wondering how the AI managed to get 5 higher pop cities in early/classical era. I had several small resource buildings and temples, been stuck with negative unhappiness with 3 cities (6 pop in capt, 1 pop in the others), barely keeping it out of double digits where the production hits start. Starting to get out of it, but all the slowed growth is leaving me behind in techs and production, and far less expanded. Miss the 5 happiness from luxeries, and just not sure how to compensate early.

I was hoping to address the issue in another manner, such as perhaps other happiness buildings in the early game.

I had made some other changes in recent patches, notice any difference with that?

Also, umm, the early happiness deficiency also cripples expansion strategies in the short and lonng term because small cities can't really output enough happiness to maintain a positive value. Growth is crippled in an expanding empire, which doesn't make sense to me.

How long term? Are huge happiness values no longer the case in the endgame?

It isn't about how much science per pop but how much they cost and how much you gain per turn. The per pop is just a means to the end and is meaningless by itself.

And it is basically required to scale the tech tree properly.

Has standard been too slow? I always thought marathon was pointlessly slow anyway.

I find you pretty much HAVE to start out with monarchy for the 3 happy garrison bonus. Once you get your happy on track from other sources then it is safe to switch to something else.

I will bump some of the early happiness buildings up by 1. See if I can polish up some other things and update this time tomorrow.

Depends on how strong they are when you get them, and over time. Let me know some numbers and the effect they have for you. :)

i think it is so if you have 10 happiness then you get 5 science
not to give science 50% bonus overall but to use the happiness to boost the science a little.

Yeah both should be simple percentages of your happiness.

One thing I am annoyed at is atols on rescources since you can't use fishing boats.

One way to surcumvent the whole unhappyness problem is to go for construction immidiatley and ignore economy of the scale and as soon as you get construction problems should be somewhat solved with Mahabodi temple, temple, coloseum

I haven't heard much about it lately either.

V8 is probably half broken due to the latest patch.

Is it the scroll bug that is keeping you from moving forward? Try turning off the camera snapping. Or you could also try zooming in close to the map around the time the crash happens.

It's not so much that it stops me from moving forward from a certain point, its a random element but definatly due to scrolling, camera snapping would help avoid the crash, but still wouldn't get rid of the issue completely as sometimes manually moving the camera causes it too.

It's just a general crash that is to do with the camera moving, just a simple "civilization V has stopped working" message from windows.

Maybe ill stop playing on Huge maps :p might help, others were saying large at best. ill give that a go. It's just frustrating as i love this mod, but dont ever see it past renaissance era :p.

as to others that replied about CPU temp, im running it on a desktop, and at that an Aurora ALX, temperature doesnt become an issue, and neither should spec :p.

now i got to the renaissance era around turn 250. before the science change it was above 430.the ai is doing a lot better with resource they actual built a gem monopoly. it u choose the right polices u can expand to 4 city's by turn 200 in marathon.

GREAT JOB on the mod and thank you for taking the time to do it:goodjob:

Something very strange with Electorial...i went to chose it and it went to the change govnt screen and gave me 2 turns of Anarchy. Not sure if it kicked me out of Theocracy that im in, but you might want to take a peak at it.

When it was .5 science, it was like getting teeth pulled to play. When you bumped it up, it felt much better and i found it easier to move along. I have so much happiness right now, that I cant seem to get rid of it lol.

One thing I am annoyed at is atols on rescources since you can't use fishing boats.

One way to surcumvent the whole unhappyness problem is to go for construction immidiatley and ignore economy of the scale and as soon as you get construction problems should be somewhat solved with Mahabodi temple, temple, coloseum

What do you mean by Atol? Lakes?

It's not so much that it stops me from moving forward from a certain point, its a random element but definatly due to scrolling, camera snapping would help avoid the crash, but still wouldn't get rid of the issue completely as sometimes manually moving the camera causes it too.

It's just a general crash that is to do with the camera moving, just a simple "civilization V has stopped working" message from windows.

Maybe ill stop playing on Huge maps :p might help, others were saying large at best. ill give that a go. It's just frustrating as i love this mod, but dont ever see it past renaissance era :p.

as to others that replied about CPU temp, im running it on a desktop, and at that an Aurora ALX, temperature doesnt become an issue, and neither should spec :p.

If you get the crash directly related to scrolling, then yeah not a temp issue. And not much I can do about it beyond advising to turn the auto-scroll off.

now i got to the renaissance era around turn 250. before the science change it was above 430.the ai is doing a lot better with resource they actual built a gem monopoly. it u choose the right polices u can expand to 4 city's by turn 200 in marathon.

GREAT JOB on the mod and thank you for taking the time to do it

Thanks. I think you have been complimenting me every post you make lately lol.

Something very strange with Electorial...i went to chose it and it went to the change govnt screen and gave me 2 turns of Anarchy. Not sure if it kicked me out of Theocracy that im in, but you might want to take a peak at it.

Electoral's text did not reflect that it locks out Aristocracy and Feudalism, so that is probably your problem. Fixed for next update, thanks. :)

When it was .5 science, it was like getting teeth pulled to play. When you bumped it up, it felt much better and i found it easier to move along. I have so much happiness right now, that I cant seem to get rid of it lol.

You mean .5 per pop(effectively)? I didn't change this. All I did was add 1-2 science to the palace to fix the display error, though I can see how that would speed up early marathon by a bit.

New V9:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4964uc35h78w8ud

21 Minor tweaks and bug fixes.
22 Increased happiness in some early ancient buildings.
23 Changed the AI's valuation of gold in diplomacy. The idea is for a 10x increase in gold costs in diplomacy. Let me know if you see this.
24 Updated Inca's Terrace farm to be compatible with the mod.
25 Increased Bazaar's Gold bonus compared to the Market.
As of March 8

Let me know how the happiness works out for you. :)

Depends on how strong they are when you get them, and over time. Let me know some numbers and the effect they have for you. :)
This is kind of a late game image, but the numbers don't lie. I'll try to get them asap in a new game and see how far ahead it gets me.
Spoiler :

Oh and atolls are a tile feature that sometimes spawns on coast, I hadn't seen them before this game. It appears it was added in the offical patch but wasn't in the notes. Seems like it is for the Polynesian DLC?
http://berxpert.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/civ-5-new-terrain-atoll/
Spoiler :

This is kind of a late game image, but the numbers don't lie. I'll try to get them asap in a new game and see how far ahead it gets me.

Apparently that mechanic doesn't work the way I thought it did. I will bring it down to maybe 5% each for the next version.

Oh and atolls are a tile feature that sometimes spawns on coast, I hadn't seen them before this game. It appears it was added in the offical patch but wasn't in the notes. Seems like it is for the Polynesian DLC?

I will have to get that DLC sometime and adjust the mod accordingly.

Just installed the latest version and there is a problem with the tech tree. The science and economy pages have this display problem happening, the other three pages are fine. All of the techs are present and research-able, so it's just a display thing. I tried re-installing the mod to see if it happened again and it did.
Spoiler :
Economy

Science

Those pages are also missing the scroll bar, so that's all you can see of the whole page.

Top Bottom