[Project] S.P.Q.R. for Civ4

Arne

King
Annyone remember S.P.Q.R. for Civ3? No, you don't? Well, it was available only in German, so I bet, there are not that many users here, wich will know that scenario. Like the name allready will tell you - S.P.Q.R. was a Sceanrio/Mod about the time of the Roman Republic. Some kind of Rise of Rome, but very different from RoR-Conquest-Scenario, with many special features.

Now there will be a new version for Civ4, made by a very small team of German modmakers. Some things are allready done, but much more things are on our to-do-list. It still will be long way to go, but a very first version ist allready half way done. We still need some translators. (German to English, but much more than that we need help for translations:
German to French,
German to Spanish and
German to Italian.

Civs/Leaders: We will start with some kind of general mod, playable each of 15 Civs in that very first version. Main focus is on Civilizations, that had direct contact to Romans, or at least had a chance, to met the Romans. This means there will be no Hethitians, no Mycenean Greeks, no Bablonians, Sumerians and so on. (Well may be, some day in later versions there will be such Civs too. But exept one little thing, there won't in the first version.)

Spoiler Leaders/Civs list and screenshot :
Leaders:
  • Rome: Julius Caesar
  • Greek (Achaia): Demosthenes
  • Macedonia: Alexander
  • Ptolomaier (Egypt): Cleopatra
  • Seleukid (Syria): Antiochos
  • Pergamon: Attalos
  • Pontos: Mithidrates
  • Colonial Greeks (Epirus and different greek Settlements all over the Med): represented by Pyrrhus
  • Celts/Gaul: Brennus and Vercingetorix
  • Germanic Tribes: Arminius (may be Ariovist?)
  • Etruscians: Lars Porsenna
  • Carthagians: Hannibal Barkas
  • Celtiberians: Viriathus
  • Dakians: Burebista
  • Skythians: Ateas
  • Parthians: not impelmented yet.
  • Nubians: not impelmented yet.
  • Numidians: not impelmented yet.

We are using stagnant (not animated) leaderheads, this is intended for later versions too. Preview:

Religions: There are 7 Religions in that mod, all called "Cults". We choose NOT to use any of the "Great Religions" so we hope, it will allow, to feel a little different from Vanilla Civ4 religions.

Spoiler screenshots for SPQR-Cults :

religios Units:

Cult of Jupiter founded:

Ressources: Like it was in the Civ3-Version of SPQR, there will be some unique ressources. For example "timber" will be in again, like "olives" will too. Some other ressources are completely new (clay, linen) others are removed from game (sugar, rice) or replaced.
Spoiler screenshot showing some ressources on map :

Spoiler screenshot of some mounted units :

Stay tuned, more to come.

I remember being sad I couldn't play the CivIII version. Here's hoping for a fully translated Civ4 version. :D Sadly my German was 15 years ago and I don't recall very much at all.

Any translators here? Hopefully there are, the current translation is horrible (if ther is any).
primordial stew said:
Your links dosn't work. No idea about the first one, but it's possible to fix the second URL. So I can tell you "Circus" and "Panthon" are included in SPQR, but actually there are no special nif files. So I second your request.

primordial stew said:
Are those leaderheads posted anywhere?
No, actually they aren't. They are "exclusive" made for SPQR, so I'm afraid you have to wait until release date, if you choose to use them. :(

I was thinking of making the Circus Maximus if I can get C. Roland to skin it. Maybe this weekend.

The graphics you present are looking absolutely great! I can't believe those LH's. May I use some of the resource graphics for my Medieval mod? Please :D (the olives are looking good...)

I'd love to help out, BTW - I can help you with Spanish language translations, for example. My German is so-so, I understand the language quite well but generally don't pretend to speak it (my father lives in Germany and I spent a lot of time there in my youth hearing German but never speaking it). My Spanish is very fluent (my wife's Ecuadorian and I've been half living there the past years).

Also I'm a history nerd so I could comment on any history questions or research you might need. Which you might not need at all, seeing that this is a continuation of an established Civ3 mod... oh well :)

I'll follow this project development strictly, I'm interested :)

I can translate it in Italian, but only if it gets translated in French, Spanish or English first. I can understand these languages but not German.

woodelf said:
I was thinking of making the Circus Maximus if I can get C. Roland to skin it. Maybe this weekend.

Then we can all enjoy the Circus Maximus :lol:

Fixed my links.

@Arne
Are you interested in an "exotic animals" resource as well? Pink had some of these in Africa. Just a bonus gold resource, but maybe it can be used to add happiness to the games. Unfortunately I don't know anything about creating graphics, but it seems someone could just take the unit_lion, and shrink it down into a resource size.

hr_oskar said:
May I use some of the resource graphics for my Medieval mod? Please :D (the olives are looking good...)
It's the same as for LHs: Some are "exclusive" made for SPQR - that means: I'm afraid, you have to wait until SPQR comes out. But we (the team) hope, it will take not that much time until a very fist open beta.
hr_oskar said:
I'd love to help out, BTW - I can help you with Spanish language translations, for example.
Great. Please let me know when and how something can be done. Currently even some German texts are still to do...
hr_oskar said:
Also I'm a history nerd so I could comment on any history questions or research you might need. Which you might not need at all, seeing that this is a continuation of an established Civ3 mod... oh well :)
Well, feel free to coment anything you want, when SPQR comes out. It is different from Civ3-SPQR becouse the game mechanics are different. The version for Civ3 was a big Scenario; only available with mediterran map. This time it will be a mod, and different maps will be playable with that mod. (there are planed some scenarios, the first one will come together with that mod.)

DvD-IT said:
I can translate it in Italian, but only if it gets translated in French, Spanish or English first. I can understand these languages but not German.
Nice to hear, thank you. :) You will get a PM, if the english version is finished so far. :)

primordial stew said:
Are you interested in an "exotic animals" resource as well?
Not sure. We have elephants representing such animals, but a lion ressouce may be a nice addition. :)

Oh, I did some unit skinning, next time I will try to post a sceenshot from some units. Well, most units skins are taken from here at CFC.

strategyonly said:
Its about time someone puts the "real" gods in a game, ie: Zeus, Thor etc, thx.
Glad to hear you allready like it. :)

Arne said:
next time I will try to post a sceenshot from some units.
I added a screenshot of some mounted units into the first post.

woodelf said:
It isn't great, but here's a Circus Maximus.
:goodjob: Thank you. If you don't mind, I will take a look and try to reskin it for use in SPQR. :)

Arne said:
:goodjob: Thank you. If you don't mind, I will take a look and try to reskin it for use in SPQR. :)

I never mind when someone reskins my stuff. :)

woodelf said:
I never mind when someone reskins my stuff. :)
Thats fine. Presently the Circus is looking like this, but there are still lots of things to do for this skin.

Wow, I wish I could simply learn to skin like that. That looks super Arne.

*update*

We hope to relase a first open beta version within a few days (or, at least within a few weeks :D). Main problem with this mod currently is an HDD-crash on my computer. That way we lost lots of stuff and informations. So these open beta will be a little less improved than we (and I) normaly would wish. But ist still playable.

Top Bottom