Promise to join war in 10 turns. What if you declare war before time?

This happens to me some time ago, I'm not sure whether it's still there, or is actually the intended behavior.

Civ A asks me to go to war against Civ B. I answer: I'll declare war in 10 turns.
Meanwhile, and before that time, I declare war against B myself, have a quick war and then make peace.
After the 10 turns, A comes again asking to declare war AGAIN against B.

Do you think this is a bug?
Civ A should have seen that I have declared, and be glad that way?
Or perhaps I caught Civ A unready, and my war wasn't of no value to him, so what he actually wants is a war NOW?

Is it possible to make peace so quickly ?
There's a few turns where AI doesn't want negociate peace. Never count how many turns. Do you know how many is it ?

Despite this, never saw such thing. Sometimes AI go warry or i go before the 10 turns. In that last way, AI doesn't ask me if i'm read at the end of the 10turns.

Funnier than that: a couple of games or so ago that nice chap from Berlin asked if I would go to war against Alex (Alex having already been ripped up badly by Monty, and I'd previously taken Athens). Seeing as I was soon about to anyway but waiting on an upgrade I obligingly agreed 'in 10 turns'. Two turns later and I DOW Alex and capture Corinth - then Monty finishes him off. A few turns pass and then Bismarck reminds me that 'the time for war is here', so for the hell of it I click agree (or whatever the button is) - according to the notifications we duly both DOW against <blank>, as do two CS's!

I think you should take the diplo hit. Civ A wants you to fight alongside with them. While you may have wore the enemy down a bit, the point is that they expect you to fight with them. When you do fight by their side, you can't immediately make peace - if you hover over the peace button it says something to the effect that you can't make peace because of the commitment you made. You need to stay at war for a certain number of turns.

Despite this, never saw such thing. Sometimes AI go warry or i go before the 10 turns. In that last way, AI doesn't ask me if i'm read at the end of the 10turns.

if AI ask you to gang up against civ B, tell him you'll do it in 10 turns. Declare war on civ B same turn, fight, pillage, conquer, then sign a peace treaty few turns after that. When 10 turns are pass since AI (A) asked you to join up, he will still show up and ask you to start a war, and if you say yes, you automatically declare war on civ B like there's no peace treaty period. :D It can even happen on the same turn you signed a peace treaty. ;) (if AI civ A plays after your turn)

it might be a bug, or might not be, but it can be abused if you plan on warmongering. :D

yea this is abuse. Hope they fix this by acknowledging you declaring war already and don't ask.

Had that happen to me unintentionally yesterday. Two allies asked me to declare on Japan, and I told them both to give me 10 turns. I was already moving troops because I did not border Japan's territory.

I ended up declaring before either of them came back to ask me if I was ready, and fought Japan until he asked for a peace treaty and gave me a city. Immediately after, the second ally asked if I was ready, and I said yes - peace treaty was broken, and I was right back to war with Japan again.

fought Japan until he asked for a peace treaty and gave me a city. Immediately after, the second ally asked if I was ready, and I said yes - peace treaty was broken, and I was right back to war with Japan again.
Getting a city or two as part of a peace treaty, then breaking that treaty, might be worthwhile. Do you recall how much of a diplomatic hit you took? Was the negative with Japan only, or did it also show up in your relations with other civs?

Won't you also take a diplomatic hit for breaking a treaty?

You can't break the 10 turn peace treaty, except in this case. I think it's a bug as really you shouldn't be able to DOW in the 10 turns since you made peace. I haven't noticed but since you've kicked that civ's bottom I wouldn't worry about diplo modifiers. On the other-hand if you don't go to war you'll suffer diplo penalties with your allies.

I was forced to do this in my current game. Russia asked me to DoW Brazil (who I'd ravaged down to 2 cities alongside Russia back in the early Renaissance and I was now in early Industrial) but I was currently fighting the Aztecs (I'd nearly destroyed them earlier and their peace treaty gifted me all but one of their cities) at the behest of Poland, my ally since the beginning of the game.

I asked for 10 turns while I finished dealing with Aztecs, but as I was moving reinforcements down to Tenochtitlan (my city since an earlier war but I'd moved all the units out of it to attack Aztecs last city) I noticed a large amount of Brazil's units moving through the no-man's land between us towards the unguarded Aztec capital... I checked diplo status and he listed as Guarded with the newest modifier being my warmongering was a global threat, so I took a pre-emptive strike and DoWed him immediately so my cavalry division (four cavalry) could decimate his archers and siege this turn.

My one Samurai who'd discovered his army had ended up surrounded by his units before I DoWed (a pair of longswordsmen a pair of pikes an archer and two catapults - he had a few knights but not close to samurai and a river separated us). I quickly dispatched a catapult and did a number on the archers. On his turn he left my samurai with 12 health (didn't have march yet, fresh unit) but my cavalry managed to dispatch the remaining ranged units so I could embark him into the nearby inland ocean (pretty large one about 8 hexes wide and 20 hexes long but no connections outside of continent) until my cavalry and Ashigaru division (two musketmen) holding a nearby mountain pass helped the cavalry dispatch the remaining forces.

By this time I'd started razing the Aztecs final city so my main army divisions were returning (except a few landsknecht that were healing up from taking the brunt of the city's punishment) so I managed to regroup and sack one of Brazil's last two cities. He sued for peace while I was beating his final city to a sliver so I accepted and pulled my armies back to rest up and garrision my nearby cities (except for the Ashigaru which I kept nearby because of my 10 turn promise to Russia). About 3 turns later Catherine popped up and I accepted and re-DoWed Brazil. I used my two musketmen in support of her army of swordsmen and knights and helped her take his last city (since I'd already eliminated one civ with a Major penalty and taken one of Brazil's last two with another Major). None of the other civs (all good friends with me) reacted until late Industrial... both Poland and Austria let our DoFs expire and now show Guarded with the modifier that my warmongering is a global threat, but have taken no actions other than that (Poland even keeps renewing our Open Borders, primarily because terminating it would leave a handful of cities completely isolated since he crammed a few into holes in my empire).

I've just entered Modern and still no denouncement or any severe fallout from my actions. Korea and Russia remain my loyal allies (although Korea is also close to Poland so it'll be interesting to see with whom they side) probably because Korea was part of the war against the Aztecs and Russia part of the war against Brazil.

I really hope Poland rises against me in the near future as he and I are the dominate empires... his is expansive, controlling about half of our original continent (I might have a third with the remaining divvied between Austria and Korea) with about double my cities and both of us are spread worldwide, I have more cities on the "new world" - including the two capitals of the now extinct Aztecs and Brazil - but he gobbled up all the isolated island chains between our continents. He's only one or two techs behind me so I'm looking forward to some fun fights when we both get Flight, but we've had so many positive modifiers (including both being Autocracy - the only two with an ideology) and have been close friends for so long, I don't wish to be the one to strike the first blow...

yea this is abuse. Hope they fix this by acknowledging you declaring war already and don't ask.

Yeah... anyway, I didn't pay attention to it, but do you get "fought against common enemy" diplo modifier if you declare war before AI ask you to do it after 10 turns? :confused:

Yeah... anyway, I didn't pay attention to it, but do you get "fought against common enemy" diplo modifier if you declare war before AI ask you to do it after 10 turns? :confused:

Only if the AI was currently at war. That modifier comes when both are at war at the same time, not just as part of a diplomatic agreement. So it would kick in after the 10 turns when the other civ begins their war (unless they also jump the gun)

Oh, didn't notice that. Thanks!

Good to know for playing Autocrat. Bribe AI to start the war, join in, get boosted tourism. :D

How is that possible? A peace treaty make it impossible to declare war for the next ten turns.

Near as I can tell, because your promise to go to war predated your peace treaty, it appears to be an exception to the peace treaty, allowing you to go back to war before the 10-turn peace treaty expires.

The right answer here is that you shouldn't be able to breach the peace treaty -- you should automatically default on your commitment to go to war and incur a diplomatic penalty with the civ that asked you to go to war. If you wanted to avoid that outcome, you would refuse to agree to peace until the 10th turn after you agreed to go to war.

How is that possible? A peace treaty make it impossible to declare war for the next ten turns.

we already discuss that. It seems that AI war-deal breaks the peace deal. Probably bug, or left on purpose so AI won't consider it "broken promise" and lend you diplo hit.

Top Bottom