"Proof" that Canada will never been in Civ V (officially)

Jampine

Warlord
Lately I've been playing XCOM due to the new DLC, one feature of which is a terrorist group named EXALT which will try to screw you over. To defeat them, you must find their base (hidden in one of the 16 funding countries), which is given via ruling out countries by preforming covert ops. Sometimes the clues are just: "the EXALT base is not in X country/continent", but sometimes they're a bit more complex like: "The EXALT base is not in an island nation"(which rules out the UK, Australia and Japan)

However, the one that caught my eye the most is: "The EXALT base is in a country that you can play in in Civilization V" (lol, refrences) This rules out: Canada, Australia, Argentina, Nigeria and South Africa. So maybe this is Friaxis telling us that these civs will never be added via DLC? (also, the funding countries include Brazil, which was added via DLC)

To be honest, I'm not surprised, as (no offence to anyone in these countries) as they haven't had major impacts in the world like the other civs available.

Also, how much rage may I have caused by saying the word XCOM? Gonna say it one more time:

XCOMMMMMMMMMM:cool:

Umm... That's supposed to be proof...?
You can't play them in Civilization V currently, yes, but they might still be added in the future. Furthermore, it really wouldn't be that hard for Firaxis to include a patch that changes that to not reference any new Civs in Civ V.

If you are trying to get a negative reaction for saying XCOM.. good job... not that I care.

However, there's several flaws in your logic.

This isn't the future.

1. Civ 5 is at the end of it's cycle, it's like a 3 or 2 year old game with 2 expansion packs and 7-10 different DLCs
2. You seem to single out Canada, despite obviously mentionting Australia, Argentina, Nigeria and South Africa.
3. Canada IS in the game, as a city state, in fact, it has TWO cities (Quebec and Vancouver)
4. Canada, along with Australia were the "alternates" for Brazil (as revealed in the awesome civcast?)
5. XCOM can very easily be updated, to remove this reference, it's 21, games now recieve 5-10 patches a year. And patches can add or remove features if the devs so wish.

Also, how much rage may I have caused by saying the word XCOM? Gonna say it one more time:

What's wrong with XCOM? I love XCOM. It's also Civ's only current sibling. I just wish it was more likely to be as replayable as CiV BNW is. With all the scripted missions it seems it'll get old after a couple play throughs, which sucks, because XCOM is awesome.

Wait, so why isn't Mexico excluded?

Talcove;12912117]Umm... That's supposed to be proof...?

Not the " marks: This isn't to be taken seriously:lmao:
(although, its also an obesrvation)

Also, the final question is another joke about how a few people argued over the XCOM squad for a while after BNW came out

Wait, so why isn't Mexico excluded?
ARGHHHH!!!!! I KNEW I'd missed something out!

Mexico is included. Besides, CCP swore up and down there would never be navy faction battlecruisers, then added them this spring.

What is it with these guys at firaxis for mixing their game up with other games?

At least with the Xcom reference to Civ 5 that could be considered reasonably plausible, unlike the Xcom units in Civ 5. Even having a guy playing Civ5 in an Xcom game and being so into it he gets killed by an Alien is plausible! I don`t mind plausible references just not silly ones thought of while on a break in the bathroom.

There, that`s your rage post you were looking for. :cry:

"The EXALT base is not in an island nation"(which rules out the UK, Australia and Japan)

However, the one that caught my eye the most is: "The EXALT base is in a country that you can play in in Civilization V" (lol, refrences) This rules out: Canada, Australia, Argentina, Nigeria and South Africa.

Australia is considered a continent (1 of 7). Civ nation the Zulus are very proud Sout Africans.

Let your xcom men check them out again.

I don't know what your point is?

South Africa is covered by Cape Town (CS) and Zulu.
Canada is covered by 2 CS (Vancouver and Quebec I think?)
Australia is covered by 2 CS (Melbourne and Sydney I think?)
Have Argentina and Nigeria done anything to warrant being a civilization?

What point are you trying to make?

link? i must have missed this as well as the fall patch...sometimes college isn't worth it
I think they talked about it in this PolyCast episode: Polycast 178

I remember them talking about how they choose nations by grouping them by themes: For instance, they wanted one modern nation, where likely candidates were Brazil, Canada, Australia. Brazil got in because of the association with Portugal. Similarly they talked about different options for easy-asian civs - I think they mention Khmer, Vietnam and Indonesia as being the top contenders in this category, but ended up going with Indonesia for the trade theme. Pretty interesting interview.

I think they talked about it in this PolyCast episode: Polycast 178

I remember them talking about how they choose nations by grouping them by themes: For instance, they wanted one modern nation, where likely candidates were Brazil, Canada, Australia. Brazil got in because of the association with Portugal. Similarly they talked about different options for easy-asian civs - I think they mention Khmer, Vietnam and Indonesia as being the top contenders in this category, but ended up going with Indonesia for the trade theme. Pretty interesting interview.

cheers

Canada already has its 2nd largest city Montreal covered by the iroquos.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Wonder what would Canada be like..
UA: Great Outdoors. Cities with adjacent unimproved forest gets +2 happiness. +2 gold on every strategic resource.
UB: Hockey rink, replaces stadium. Does not cost maintenance and +4 happiness
UU: Peacekeeper. Replaces infantry. +15% combat when fighting a different ideology.

Strategy: get tons of happiness, choose a different ideology, dominate :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

But then again, that XCOM info doesn't rule out United Kingdom, even though you can't play as the UK in Civ 5.

No Hockey Rinks, dangit! >_<

No, curling arenas, of course.
Seriously though, I think Canada would actually be pretty interesting as a modern civ...wish they'd put them in instead of the same old dull Americans in Civ VI (though of course that won't happen.)

....and maybe a unique luxury.... a tile displaying a cup of Tim Horton's coffee and a maple-sugar donut.... ;)

Oh, hey...more...a unique ability or whatever... a huge rail network that can spin off gpt by gobbling up the rail systems in other civs..... [I thinking of the CN and the once-iconic IC....the old "death-star" railroad.....

Top Bottom