Prop problem - Poser

Virote_Considon

The Great Dictator
Hey guys,

I'm using the Sumerian Shield by utahjazz7.

All things well and good until I start rendering in the East direction:

The main part of the shield becomes invisible!

There doesn't seem to be any invisible textures on the prop or anything, so I'm at a loss as to what to do?

Maybe internal shield panel facing front instead back of the shield. I don't know much about Poser but maybe you can reverse normals of the panel if you have such an option.

I'm not sure if that is an option - I'm not very knowledgeable about the details of props outside of putting them on the unit. :undecide:

I've tempfixed the issue by putting a one-sided square primitive there, but it's far from a perfect fix as there are then lighting/colouration issues.

Is East the only direction where the back of the shield would be seen? If it could be seen in another direction, does it also disappear there? If the problem is the normals, as register suggests, then you should have the same problem in every direction where the back could be seen.

I think I have seen that once. Isn't there an option where hidden parts are not rendered? It is supposed to make renderings faster. I'll look for it tomorrow if you can't fix it tonight.

When I render it I get black where you are getting invisible. If you can't figure it out, my advice would be to place a thin cube or onesided square on the back.

I think I have seen that once. Isn't there an option where hidden parts are not rendered? It is supposed to make renderings faster. I'll look for it tomorrow if you can't fix it tonight.
I usually select remove backfacing polys and I still get a black where he is getting invisible. But it must be something in his render settings.

The problem is indeed backfacing polys. if you do not want invisible or Black showing on the back side of the Shield, as ShiroKobbure pointed out, you can use a one sided square which is actually a Hi resolution Cloth Plane or Another way is to import a 2nd Shield, reverse the position of the 1st Shield so it shows the back side then position (Merge) the 2nd Shield so the front shows on the back of the 1st Shield. Position the 2nd Shield exactly so you see only one shield. Parent the 2nd Shield to the 1st Shield.

Then if you want just one Shield, You can export the combined Shields as a Wavefront .OBJ. Include both Shields and the Universe only, not the Ground. When saving, you will see a Pop up box. Check "Include body part names in polygon groups", "Include figure names in polygon groups and "Weld body part seems".
Then Import the Wavefront .OBJ and in the popup box check Only "Make polygon normals consistent". The Shield will import in the same position as it was when you saved it.

Maybe internal shield panel facing front instead back of the shield. I don't know much about Poser but maybe you can reverse normals of the panel if you have such an option.
If the problem is the normals, as register suggests, then you should have the same problem in every direction where the back could be seen.
The problem is indeed backfacing polys. ... Then Import the Wavefront .OBJ and in the popup box check Only "Make polygon normals consistent". The Shield will import in the same position as it was when you saved it.
While it is a bit more sophisticated then some topics C3 creators may need to know, learning a bit about normals will be useful for any model maker / animator. Typical symptoms include the invisibility (as here), textures from other areas "showing through", ...

Most programs - such as Blender - include a function to renormalize.

Thanks guys.

I'll take a look at that removing backfacing polys setting (found where it is), but will otherwise probably stick to using a 1-sided square.

Top Bottom