Prostitution legal in RI for 30 years, Gov bans it

Lord Gay

Emperor
http://www.boston.com/news/local/rh...gov_to_sign_bill_banning_indoor_prostitution/

November 3, 2009

PROVIDENCE, R.I.—Police could start targeting some of the more than 30 suspected brothels operating across Rhode Island after Gov. Don Carcieri signed legislation Tuesday banning indoor prostitution in the only state where it was legal besides parts of Nevada.

The new law, which took effect immediately, makes prostitution a misdemeanor crime regardless of where it occurs. Prostitutes will face up to six months in prison for a first offense, while customers and prostitutes convicted of a subsequent offense could be punished by a maximum one-year sentence.
I didn't feel like fiddling with their html code, so I just included a portion of the article. The article goes on to say that it's been legal for 30+ years due to a loophole in a law which prohibited outdoor hooking and, by implication, not indoor.

What I found interesting was how the vast majority of comments on the article were opposed, thinking the gov stupid for signing this. I personally favor allowing prostitution, although I'm undecided on whether to legalize or decriminalize.

Like marijuana, I think the State is probably best off legalizing, regulating, and taxing them. Police can focus on real crimes, less money is wasted on victimless, consensual activities, more tax money is generated, and personal freedom is increased. We get smaller gvt, less gvt interference in private affairs, more money, less black market violence and crime... it seems better all around.

Thoughts?

The governor aint getting his share of the cut? :(

Rhode Island becomes irrelevant again. :(

It's not really accurate to give Carcieri credit for this, the General Assembly did it. Carcieri just signed the bill. The bill that incidentally had less legislative support than the funeral one, but that's a can of worms...

Indoor prostitution has been legal in RI. "Massage parlors" were brothel fronts. It hasn't been a problem.

WAIT! Did they get around to outlawing stripping at 16, or is that still legal?

Like marijuana, I think the State is probably best off legalizing, regulating, and taxing them. Police can focus on real crimes, less money is wasted on victimless, consensual activities, more tax money is generated, and personal freedom is increased. We get smaller gvt, less gvt interference in private affairs, more money, less black market violence and crime... it seems better all around.
Thoughts?
Well, considering that Rhode Island is in deep candies it was not smartest move considering current state's fiscal situation.

wow, 16 year old strippers? Well, whats the age of consent there? Rhode Island... aint that the place founded by Roger Williams? Wasn't he one of those Pilgrims? He saw the Puritans show up and he took off, true? Sorry, got off track...

Ah, well now there'll be no more prostitution.

Fat chance it ever gets legalized again in the foreseeable future.

ah, so finally RI re-joins the land of the free...err, wait :crazyeye:

Ah, well now there'll be no more prostitution.
:lol: indeed

I still don't understand why banning legal, government regulated prostituition is good?

Seems silly to do this. I wouldn't have a problem with banning the stripping - seems even more stupid to allow minors to strip, in my opinion - but this is just silly.

Top Bottom