Protective v. Imperialist

Which do you prefer: Protective or Imperialist?

• Protective

Votes: 49 48.5%
  • Imperialist

Votes: 40 39.6%
  • I hate both of them equally!

Votes: 12 11.9%

• Total voters
I actually enjoy imperialist. Faster settlers for a quicker growth and GG "spam" with the great wall. :p

Never really gave protective a shot so wouldnt know.

With Imperialistic on a marathon map, I've gotten 7 GG's on my way to a space race victory. I got 9 on a domination once.

That translates into an army of awesomeness - a some great super-units and some serious exp in your military city. It can be better than aggressive - but you've got to earn it, and specialize your cities to take full advantage

I disagree. I tend to send my settlers out early with at least one or two warriors. Then again, I play on noble, with normal barbarians, so it's not as bad. Raging barbs just makes me mad.

Sorry I forgot I always play with raging barbs on lol

And I never built the GW, no kidding :p

I like protective better out of the two, but I must say imperialistic is nice as well when you're trying for a domination victory. The settler bonus not only allows you to save up quite a bit of hammers in the early game, it also allows you to grab the best land on your continent faster than your opponents. The GG bonus, though, is the main reason I always pick an Imperialistic leader whenever I go for domination victory. It really is a huge military bonus. I think the main reason so many people dislike Imperialistic is they don't like to go to war, really.

I voted Protective since I've yet to play as an Imperialistic civ yet.

I tend towards the more peaceful ways of playing Civ, so Protective allows me to be secure in my own lands and build. But also with some of the bonuses, I can fight a decent war if it comes to that (and it often does).

I really should try playing Civ the way I see a lot of you folks doing it: randomizing a lot of the setup choices. It'd probably make me a better player.

I think that imperialistic should have reduced maintenance costs for distance from the capital. The whole idea of imperialistic is that you are trying to build a big empire, right? The sun never sets on the empire! Let there be less maintenance for imperial leaders to reflect this. That would be a real benefit.

I voted for protective. I like the fast settlers imperialistic offers, but I don't really use this trait for all its worth- I'm not much of a fighter (if I can help it). Protective actually seems to be good for massively building new cities, though- I can keep my empire better defended with less cost. It's very useful, especially if I build barracks before building any units in a city.

I think that imperialistic should have reduced maintenance costs for distance from the capital. The whole idea of imperialistic is that you are trying to build a big empire, right? The sun never sets on the empire! Let there be less maintenance for imperial leaders to reflect this. That would be a real benefit.

If Imperialistic had this benefit, I'd use it almost every game. This would be great to have and would certainly help my strategy in massively building.

Seeing how they've just brought in the additional penalty for overseas colonies, I think giving Imperialist civs a 25% (maybe 50%? Or too much?) reduction in this penalty would be a good thing...

An excellent idea, Mesix, but I fear that Firaxis is done with this game now. You can always mod it in yourself, which I would do, were I not so lazy.

Protective, on the other hand, is impossible to fix. It's a useless trait and has no real benefit. In fact, earlier today, I tried playing as a protective civilization and lost several archers to barbarian archers. Believe me, I was ready to break my keyboard in half after the third or fourth time. I finally had to leave the computer and do something else for a while. Ah, the joys of being unemployed.

Powerslave: That's absurd! You may not like Protective, but to say it is useless is ridiculous. Play as Churchill and you'll see how useful it is. With non-protective Civs, I have to leave my SOD in cities I take forever to defend the city. With protective, I can just leave a couple archers or gunpowder units there with CG III and then watch the enemy sacrifice units against my Protective units. Since the AI is way better at attacking cities now, Protective has definitely become useful.

I was going to vote but unlike many I actualy like the both so a nice 4th option in your poll would be good
Both are good.
to ballance out your wonderfull thrid option of they are both crap.

;)

This poll surprises me, IMHO imperialistic is an OK trait, but you really have to MM to make sure your pop 'n chops go towards settlers. Protective is either the worst trait by a little or the worst trait by far depending on the leader - if you have a UU synergy (Churchill, Mao, Qin, Saladin) or have an XP bonus that helps you get up the Drill line faster (Churchill/Charismatic, Sitting Bull/Totem Pole) it isn't terrible, but otherwise (Charlemagne, Gilgamesh, Tokugawa, Wang) its pretty well useless.

Toku's Protective is useless? Those are damn fine gunpowder units he churns out...

Both work for me. I must try this Burger King leader.....>>

I voted for Imperialistic as I really don't like Protective.
Free promotions are allways niche, but;
CG1 - 95% of my battels don't occur in my citys
Drill1- 0.5 first srikes... imo quite useless
cheap walls and castels-I usually have better things to build

Top Bottom