Proximity Religious Spread

LincolnOfRome

Glutton for Punishment
I've noticed a few times when I am exploring with galleys, that my state religion has a small probability to spread with my units. Recently, I was playing a game where I was trying to win a religious victory. Hammurabi was at war with Kublai Khan and seemed stuck on theocracy. I bribed Kublai to stop the war. I moved a couple missionaries into his cities while I waited for him to switch out of theocracy. I left my missionaries in two his cities for about twenty turns, but he never did switch out of theocracy. Eventually, I just deleteted my units. A few turn after I deleted my units, both cities switch to the religion of my missionaries (even though he was still in theocracy).

If you can reach someone by galley, your religion can spread. But the odds of spreading are independent of whether you actually have units there or just explored the route.

If an AI is in theocracy, you should gift him the missionaries. Quite often he will spread the religion himself. (This also works with non-theocracy AIs; so you can just walk to the border and gift the missionary to save some time.)

Back
Top Bottom