Publisher: pls explain 80USD Australia price on Steam

Waiting for Steam to lower it's prizes will take quite a while since they usually keep the original prize and just reduced it for special deals (midweek madness, weekend deal aso.) at least this was my experience with older games I planed to buy.

Believe me, it's really really hard to prove a tax doesn't exist by providing evidence of its non-existence. :)
Sorry, my comment was addressed at Dale because...
but I do know he likes to have fun. :)
... this has been known to happen. If it turns out not to be true I hope it doesn't reflect badly on me that I was prepared to believe Australia taxes video games at nearly 50%.

Sorry, my comment was addressed at Dale because...

... this has been known to happen. If it turns out not to be true I hope it doesn't reflect badly on me that I was prepared to believe Australia taxes video games at nearly 50%.

Oh lol, my bad. I thought you were asking if I was trolling Dale where you're actually asking "are you trolling, Dale?" :)

Waiting for Steam to lower it's prizes will take quite a while since they usually keep the original prize and just reduced it for special deals (midweek madness, weekend deal aso.) at least this was my experience with older games I planed to buy.

True. But the Computer stores will drop the price after a month or so if the game doesn't fly off the shelves. Patient must I be.

Steam doesn't set the prices of non-Valve games.
Says who?

At least in Germany, there is - with the exception of pharmaceuticals, books and some other printed media - no price binding allowed.
I don't know how this is handled elsewhere, but I could imagine that there are some regulations in place.
As has been explained previously, Steam exists in competition with traditional retail distributors who have deals with the publisher to delay a release on Steam or keep a price high because otherwise they won't carry the game. Basicly, Walmart likes to know it can have a shelf full of the same game that can be completely sold in one week for a specific profit. If they can't make that profit then they won't sell the game at all as its inefficient for them in terms of labour, shelf space and storage. Steam's problem is not that its too big, but that its not big enough that it can exert the same leverage on publishers as retail distributors and so it gets initially unfavourable prices and perhaps a delayed release. They look to have been encouraging "digital deluxe" editions with many recent games, so perhaps they're adopting a strategy of exclusive content.
So, high prices of the limited version are not Steam's fault. Ok.

But since they have a monopol on the complete version (so-called DE), they could improve their market position by selling it at the same price as others do with the limited version, can't they?

They could, yet they are not doing so. Which economically may make sense, but clearly proves the statement that Steam would be a service "from a gamer for gamers" as it has been stated somewhere here in the threads is just a nice story but not the truth.
They are a company acting like all other companies, too. And their interest is in making money, not necessarily in providing better service to the beloved gamers.

Does anyone have experience with what the royalties are that the publisher/developer gets from sales of shelf-copies? For example, what's the difference between a game sold at release for 50USD and the same game sold 2 years later for 15USD in the bargain bin? Is the profit to the dev/publisher proportional to the price at the sale?

Or is the situation better described as retailers being middle men, buying the copies of the game for some agreed price and selling it to their own customers for a higher price, and selling back any unbought copies to the publisher?

Does anyone have experience with what the royalties are that the publisher/developer gets from sales of shelf-copies? For example, what's the difference between a game sold at release for 50USD and the same game sold 2 years later for 15USD in the bargain bin? Is the profit to the dev/publisher proportional to the price at the sale?

Or is the situation better described as retailers being middle men, buying the copies of the game for some agreed price and selling it to their own customers for a higher price, and selling back any unbought copies to the publisher?

I know in the case of retail, there is usually a buyback price where they buy it back form the retailer in some cases.

In the case of DD, I think the cut remains proportional. I know that retailers often force the DD price to be non-competitive with them for a while, which is why certain games stay high in price for a while (Stardock admits this is why they didn't cut GalCiv II prices early on) This is also why Stardock/Paradox have released their expansion packs in the past as DD-only. Makes sense when you consider that they are effectively big patches, and can't sell as well as the original game.

So both are right, and can happen.

I just did a search on the cost of several games in australia from the EB Games Australia site. God of War 3 and Red Dead Redemption are 60 dollar games in the US, but 110 in Australia (converts to around 95 USD). Super Mario Galaxy is 50 USD, but in Australia, it is 100 (converts to around 87 USD). For some reason or another, the cost of games in Australia is much higher than the US.

What is this thread complaining about, really? Free market?

Computer game prices are in general higher in Australia than in the US (apparently due to the taxes Dale mentions). This means that with higher prices than the US ones, Steam/Valve can still compete in these markets. You can factor in ordering on ebay/amazon or something from another country (to get a lower price), but truth is they aren't exactly taking a big enough market share to be a real threat for Steam/Valve.

It only makes sense. Why should Valve drop prices below the price that gives them the better profits? Ideology?

Actually, this is the exact opposite of a free market. If there was a true competitive free market, games would be bought at the place with the lowest prices, or there would be one universal price.

The rents taken by the publisher for those unfortunate enough to be Australian is monopolistic, not free market. It's bad enough you have a soccer team that loses 4-0 and your version of football looks like 30 punters going at it (ok, it's fun to watch, but still silly), but this is just kicking the man when he's down. ^_^

Games in Australia have always been more expensive relative to the curreny exchange adjusted price of other countries. This is not steam ripping you off per say. Just the way the Australian economy inflates its prices, in computer games anyway. As one of the posters said, he is used to paying $100 AUD for games. Prices really do depend on the game and the platform and whether or not you pre-order, but generally we pay £30 for a new PC game or in some cases £40, we can get CIV 5 pre-ordered for £30.00 on Steam. This is for a £10 discount for pre-ordering just I assume discounts are offered for pre-ordering everywhere else too. £30.00 our price (inc. Tax) is equilivlant with current exchange rates to a price of [US$45 / AUD$50], £40 which is RRP without discounts is equivilant too [US$60 / AUD$70]. So as you can clearly see assuming $50US and $100AUS are RRP prices, I can't say for sure they are because I have never payed for a game in either country. But if they are then you can see that the US price is slightly cheaper than the UK price, which is not un-expected, In Britain we have what we call the "power of the pound" which basically means everything we buy in Britain can be brought for cheaper outside Britain if we exchange our currency. This is why we are a major Importer, compared to a Conutry which has a relatively "poor exchange power" who will be Exporting as thats where the demand is. But anwyay, what is a suprise (well sort of, I already knew about it so...) is that the Pound exchanged into Aus$ will not give a Brit a cheaper game.

If your Australian and your not happy paying for your retail copies in your own economy which is what influences it's prices, then your more than welcome to buy abroad and Import it. I'm sure your American or wherever custom will be appreciated :p.

I just did a search on the cost of several games in australia from the EB Games Australia site. God of War 3 and Red Dead Redemption are 60 dollar games in the US, but 110 in Australia (converts to around 95 USD). Super Mario Galaxy is 50 USD, but in Australia, it is 100 (converts to around 87 USD). For some reason or another, the cost of games in Australia is much higher than the US.

I would always be careful quoting prices from ebgames. They are seriously usually the most overpriced of the lot. For example, they have God of War 3 listed as 119.95AUD yet you can buy it brand new with free postage for 66.95AUD on ebay and that is from a seller situated (supposedly) in Australia. This is the only example I looked at just now but I am really confused now. I haven't bought any games at release for a few years now so I'm not used to paying nearly 100AUD let alone more than that. Something weird is going on with the situation in Australia. Except for civ5, it looks like I will be sticking to old (and hence much reduced price) games for a while now.

Says who?

At least in Germany, there is - with the exception of pharmaceuticals, books and some other printed media - no price binding allowed.
I don't know how this is handled elsewhere, but I could imagine that there are some regulations in place.
Either you're misunderstanding me or I'm misunderstanding you. I don't see what your reply has to do with my post.

So, high prices of the limited version are not Steam's fault. Ok.

But since they have a monopol on the complete version (so-called DE), they could improve their market position by selling it at the same price as others do with the limited version, can't they?

They could, yet they are not doing so. Which economically may make sense, but clearly proves the statement that Steam would be a service "from a gamer for gamers" as it has been stated somewhere here in the threads is just a nice story but not the truth.
They are a company acting like all other companies, too. And their interest is in making money, not necessarily in providing better service to the beloved gamers.
If the retail don't want Steam to sell the same game for less, do you really think they'll let publishers sell a Steam version with more content for the same?

Actually, this is the exact opposite of a free market. If there was a true competitive free market, games would be bought at the place with the lowest prices, or there would be one universal price.

Neither is quite right.

A given game publisher has a monopoly property right over sale of a particular game; a single monopolist sets the price of Civ5, or of Starcraft 2, or of Modern Warfare 2, because they control an absolute monopoly over their intellectual property.

However, they are constrained in their ability to charge high prices because the market for PC games is somewhat competitive; Fallout: New Vegas and Starcraft 2 and Crysis 2 and others are substitutes for Civilization 5. If the publisher of Civ5 tries to charge too high a price for Civ5,

The retail market is highly competitive; retail markup basically represents the cost of retail supply.
Digital downloads are relatively small, so they are able to basically get the same cut as bricks'n'mortar retailers but with lower costs.

But the retail market has little to do with pricing. It is the wholesale market where the action is. Steam has minimal influence over pricing decisions, these are largely driven by the publisher.

It used to be the case by convention that basically all PC games sold for the same price, and so competition was almost entirely by volume (good games sold more copies). But now publishers are realizing that they can sell good games at higher prices than mediocre games, either directly (isn't retail on Starcraft 2 $60?) or indirectly (through deluxe editions or DLC).
This might be good thing; it drives publishers into supporting big-budget high quality games rather than lots of mediocre games with smaller budgets.

In terms of price to the final customer: the retail market is very competitive. Retail markup is basically the same everywhere, and the same for all games.
The wholesale market is partly competitive (its a differentiated product oligopoly). But even if it were extremely competitive, we could still expect to see some variation in prices for different games if customer willingness to pay for those games are different; we could observe a market where Civ5 sells for $10 more than Lemonade Stand Tycoon (or whatever) without that being any evidence of market power.

Observing large in price variation across geographic markets (that cannot be explained by cost differences) is evidence of market power in the wholesale market. The best explanation is probably implicit or tacit collusion by game publishers in the Australian market; they recognize that they can collectively make more money in Australia by having a higher price and generating higher monopoly rents. None of them are interested in trying to undercut pricing (eg by publisher A unilaterally reducing the cost of Civ5 in Australia by $10 to try to pull sales away from Crysis 2) because they know that the others would follow, so it wouldn't be in their long-term interest to do this.

Summary:
Its not retail that matters, its wholesale.
Wholesale market is differentiated product oligopoly (monopoly over a single game, but contested by competition from other games).
Higher prices in Australia seem to be across the board for video games.
Observing different prices for different games doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of competition, but seeing wildly different prices in different regional markets is does.

Says who?

Sais Valve, Paradox, Stardock etc.

It was confirmed many times that final prices of games sold over digital distribution are set by publishers.

I can't believe that there are people on this forum who argue FOR different prices on a digitalized product which duplicating costs is zero. :) and further: IF someone in australia would use a proxy to somehow download it via USA - not sure if this is possible, but still: would this be called piracy and had to be condemnd with prison? lol, sometimes I really don't get people who fight against their rights. digital distributed software should have the same price everywhere, or the whole idea of digital distributed software is just another excuse to make more money without giving more content. this is of course not problem or the fault of steam, vault, take2 and civ5. As it seems it is a problem that goes much deeper. but it IS their fault, that they "go with the flow" instead of doing it better. ah however, I live in Switzerland, so I can pay every price they tag on the things I want, because I am soo rich. lol. (that was meant sarcastic, but doesn't matter).

Oh, and video games (intellectual property) have the same kind of pricing system as books; the owner of the intellectual property is granted a monopoly on the use of that work.

As to "regulations"... I don't know how things are handled in Germany but in almost every market economy there is almost no price regulation on any goods. There is competition/antitrust policy, but I haven't seen anyone suggest even with the waves of mergers that the video game market is insufficiently competitive; there are several large publishers, and even those must compete with other forms of entertainment.

there may be many publishers, but as with books, there are not many "bestsellers". civ5 has no competitors. (this could easily be changed by producing a MoM clone or a Moo2 clone, but so far publishers don't believe this and Stardock tries to publish "their own games" which are nice, but still no competition). the only competitor would be Fallout Las Vegas, but I suppose "gamers" will eventually buy both anyway, so.. the regulation of the market is a big hoax. the only thing which controls the market is: what is available? MoM2 would be THE competitor, but it is not existant, so it doesn't matter.

civ5 has no competitors
It has no competitors in the market for Civ5.
If has a few competitors in the market for turn-based strategy games (eg Elemental).
It has several competitors in the market for strategy games (eg Starcraft 2).
It has many competitors in the market for PC games.
It has lots of competitors in the market for video games.
It has huge numbers of competitors in the market for entertainment.

the regulation of the market is a big hoax
Why would anyone think that the market was "regulated"?
How can it be a hoax when no agency is telling you the market is regulated?

The point that seems to be missing in this thread is that Civ5 is already available in Australia at vastly different prices, see the preorder thread listed in my signature.

Steam . . . . USD 80 = AUD 92 (excl download cost)
Mighty Ape . USD 63 = AUD 72 (incl shipping)
Play Asia . . USD 60 = AUD 69 (incl shipping)

Underlined is the quoted price and the other the conversion at current market rates. Soon I suppose Gameswarehouse.com.au is joining the crowd and I guess they'll also be closer to the AUD 70 mark than the AUD 90 mark.

So it's not about physical transportation costs, not about having expensive prices in a far away market, not about market control, not about phantom luxury taxes, not about graphics inversion costs or anything like that because the product is already available retail in Australia at far more reasonable prices.

My best guess is that Steam forgot to change the currency symbol to AUD instead of USD. At AUD 80 it's still 10% over market price, but that's in UK and EU as well.

Hehehehe....... yes I do like to have my fun, but in this instance I'm not fooling around. :(

I work for the company that owns Libra and Tena (pads and tampons for those that don't know), and yes there is a 47% luxury tax on those products. For those wanting a price comparison, at the staff shop I can buy packs of Libra pads for the missus for $1 a pack. That's manufacturer price to the retailers. The tax is applied instead of GST. There's no GST on female hygiene products, so it was exempt from the luxury tax removal since it wasn't replaced with GST.

My brother is a tax accountant, and he confirmed there's a 47% tax on computer software.

Top Bottom