Purchasing City State "Empires" with Merchants of Venice

nsotos

Chieftain
Sorry if this has been asked before, but a quick question popped in my head thinking about BNW in the hours before release. What would happen if a MoV were to purchase a city-state that had conquered a city from another civilization? Would that city remain under the control of the former city-state? Or would Venice gain control of both cities?

Sounds impossible to me. City States do not conquer. If Attilla conquers a CS you are not buying it.

I saw a city state conquer a city once. I had weakened it but was out of moves for the turn, so my allied city state took it. And razed it. But yeah, its rare.

Proof:
Spoiler :
On deity, russia was allied with singapore and at war with the celts. Russia had units there but it turned out singapore got the capturing move.

There's no word that it couldn't happen in BNW and I wouldn't know what to look for in the files.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 1,968
There's no word that it couldn't happen in BNW and I wouldn't know what to look for in the files.

There's one way to see how the game handles it: Venice's Merchant of Venice seems to use the same mechanics as Austria's Diplomatic Marriage. Just go buy a multi-city City-State as Austria and see what happens! :)

Sounds impossible to me. City States do not conquer. If Attilla conquers a CS you are not buying it.

I can say with firsthand experience that they DO conquer.

In my last game, Isabella was down to her last city and gloated to me about attacking one of my CS allies.

One turn later, that CS had knocked her out of the game and was busy razing her city. It was pretty funny.

I can say with firsthand experience that they DO conquer.

In my last game, Isabella was down to her last city and gloated to me about attacking one of my CS allies.

One turn later, that CS had knocked her out of the game and was busy razing her city. It was pretty funny.

I've seen it too. I think it's very funny. Jerusalem conquered Makkah. :lol:

Off Topic: Charlemagne was the first Holy Roman Emperor.

I have seen a CS keep cities that had unique resources to the CS and were not too far away from the CS so it is possible that they puppet if certain conditions are met.
Also, of course, if the conquered city in question is also a CS or capital, it can not be razed period.

This sounds pretty fun, have to try to make it happen! :)

On the topic of can't be razed, period, I've been wondering about capitals and OCC. Namely, what happens when you take one in an OCC.

kk, I was wondering because I'd never tried it. The one time I could have tested it, I just let Arabia take the city.

Under Austria's ability, it will give you any cities owned by the CS you dm'd. You can presume MoV does the same.

Top Bottom