Pure Civ 3 (Vanilla Civ3 "Rule Patch"), version 4.0

BTB

Warlord
I'm not sure how many people still play Vanilla Civ3, but I contend to this day that the expansions added nothing to it that I found in any way appealing. Thus, I set out with the goal in mind of perfecting the rules of the "core" game, several of which I felt were a bit off-kilter.

I posted version 3,0 of this very same mod on this site quite some time ago, and a lot has changed since then. Probably the biggest change that it makes that some people may remember is that it made the optional techs prerequisites unto themselves, thus forming an optional "branch" of the tech tree. There are many more changes, none of which I feel like mentioning here.

The mod itself has been uploaded to the download database, as well as this post. If you simply wish to know more about the mod, the included readme can be viewed online at this location:

http://btb2.free.fr/temp/readme.html

I appreciate any feedback from the community at large on this. I know that the mod will only appeal to a very small audience, but I would still welcome the opinions of those not interested in it (assuming, of course, that the opinion is more than "I should have done this with PTW/Conquests/Civ4)".

I also want to thank the folks here, as several members of this community have been extremely helpful in the research and production of this mod.

So, thank you all! And again, any feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

• civ3_mod.zip
    191.1 KB · Views: 537
I just got back into playing my Civ games (got Call to Power 1-2 and Vanilla Civ 3) and was wondering what this is. What does it give and what does it change? The link goes to some french page.

The page in French actually states "ERREUR 404 - Document non trouvé" - which is not unlike the English "error 404 - file not found" ;).

There is however, a readme in the download - which should only take seconds to download and access - which documents exactly what the changes are. There are some sweeping changes, including tech tree changes, unit stats changes and a reworking of small wonders.

I downloaded it and am just in the Middle Ages now. I like it. The only problem I've had so far is that sometimes, when I captured a city, just a blank message popped up with a circle for yes. It was just the message telling me that we raised the town but you might want to look into that. Of course it might be something to do with Snoopy's terrain or the Playbility, Usability, whatever Mod. Oh, I also hate the 2 gold on Republic. When I'm in a GA I shouldn't be -36 gpt. I didn't even have that many units! That's your decision though so I have nothing against it, I'll probably just have to postpone wars until I can get some support. Can't you atleast make it 1 for towns? Please? lol

Wow, this thread actually got some replies >.>

The error page is because I clean out that temp folder routinely, and I wasn't aware that any more interest had been generated in this thread. I'll try and reupload it here soon.

The 2 gold for Republics actually is yet another change I took from the Civ3 expansions, so I really can't even take credit for that one :)

And lastly, I'm aware of the blank message thing. I actually ran across the same thing myself and was wondering where in the hell it came from. It's basically an issue with the script/label files, and I thought it was just with my copy of the game... but it's been awhile since I played with it, so you'll have to give me some time to go back and figure out what I did to fix it.

I would be interested in taking a look at this too. Since in modifies the game files I am not sure how well it will work on the Mac however. After going through the readme, I have done a similar things with resources and wonders, although I have not eliminated any. I have set Literature as a requirement for the Heroic Epic amoung other things, and Shakespeare's Theater now produces two happy faces in each city, along with the 8 in the home city. I might simply adapt some of the ideas to a mod, rather than try to change my Mac Laptops files, and try for the same effect.

Some of us do use Vanilla you know. lol

Yeah, the blank message is only when a city gets insta-razed so it's not a big deal. If you'd like to see your mod in a story, check out the story in my sig. :)

The map trading was also taken from the expansions.

It's not available until the Printing Press.

Oh, right.

I was confusing them with Communications.

I tried to make all of the new powers as obvious as possible if you consult the Civilopedia.

Top Bottom